• Show
Clear All
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Mego Milk
    Side.
    yeah.
    I trust the guy that had him working in the lunchroom.

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Random Axe
      I had never heard of him before Legion and the X-Men/Titan crossover. My understanding was that he'd been forgotten for a great number of years before Levitz(?) brought him back in a big way for the Darkness Saga. My timeline might be off, but I thought the Legion story predated Super Powers. I have no memory of anything Kirby since I only recently have been able to tolerate his work. His designs are incredible, just can't read his panel-to-panel stuff. Chalk it up to taste.
      My timeline was off on Super Powers...it was 1984. So I hit the shelves and pulled out some issues...what I found was:

Kirby's Fourth World Saga ran from '71 to '72 (in "New Gods", "Jimmy Olsen", "Forever People" and "Mr. Miracle"). The titles were cancelled before Kirby could finish his story.

Darkseid reappeared in the DCU as the mysterious benefactor and founder of "The Secret Society of Super-Villains" ('76) under the pen of Gerry Conway but he was soon whisked out of the series as other villains took the spotlight.

DC revived the New Gods in 1977 as "The Return of the New Gods" and finished the story in "Adventure Comics" ('78) with the apparent death of Darkseid. Again, written by Gerry Conway.

That was retconned though when Conway used Darkseid as the "big bad" in the JLA/JSA crossover in 1980 (which featured George Perez' first pencils on the JLA...after the death of longtime penciller Dick Dillin).

All of the Conway revival stories were eventually retconned to Earth-17. Orion's costume is different in these stories than it was in Kirby's version so that's also a tell-tale sign.

The Legion story (The Great Darkness Saga) and the X-Titans crossover both appeared in 1982, with the Legion story starting one month earlier than the crossover.

Kirby returned to DC in 1984 and tried to finish the saga by killing off Darkseid and the New Gods but DC wouldn't allow the characters to die. The end result was the heavily edited graphic novel "The Hunger Dogs". The "Super Powers" toyline and mini-series started in 1984 also, with the comic being plotted and drawn by Kirby.

The New Gods were not really featured in "Crisis On Infinite Earths" (1985), but Darkseid had a pivotal cameo role in the final issue.

In 1986, Darkseid was the featured villain in the "Legends" mini-series (drawn by John Byrne). When Byrne revamped "Superman" he brought Darkseid in for issue #3 to serve as a new enemy for Superman. He been an established part of Supes' rogues gallery ever since.

The Jim Starlin/Mike Mignola mini-series "Cosmic Odyssey" featured Darkseid and the New Gods and ran in 1988.

Since then there have been a couple "New Gods" series revivals and Darkseid has also played a major role in a several epic cross-overs and storylines.
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by madmarva
        Darkseid was also in the cool Teen Titans/X-Men crossover with really cool art by Walt Simonson. Love that double-spread cover.

This is where Samurainoir steps in with a super-cool post featuring all kinds of incredible Darkseid art.

Last edited by samurainoir; Feb 25, '12, 3:18 AM.
        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

Comment

• madmarva
            Talkative Member
            • Jul 7, 2007

Ed, you're the man.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

My favorite all-time Darkseid story is from one of the DCU Holiday Bash specials in the 80s. Apokolips is infiltrated by the one enemy who manages to sneak onto the planet every year to deliver a lump of coal...SANTA CLAUS!!!

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Figuremod73
                That 80's guy
                • Jul 27, 2011

Because of Superfriends its been "Dark-side" to me for over twenty years (and it always will be even if its wrong ) And I do think of Frank Welker when I read a story with darkseid in it,lol.
                Hes one of the baddest of bad. Probably my favorite DC villian along with Braniac and the joker and just looks cool.
                Kirby grew him the best but Simonson and Byrne do a good job as well.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

If Dark-SIDE had been wrong, Timm and company would have corrected it in STAS and JL/JLU. I read it as "SEED" before he appeared on Super Friends. I know they got Mxy's name wrong, but they just simplified that for kids.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                    The Packaging King
                    • Dec 31, 2004

^ Wasn't Mxy's name incorrect on the old Filmation "Superman" cartoon too? I can't remember...
                    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Figuremod73
                      That 80's guy
                      • Jul 27, 2011

The way they pronounced Mxy's name on Superfriends has stuck with me all these years to. One of my favorite episodes is when "Uncle Mxy" babysat baby Supes,lol.

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Great Super Powers Darkseid original art..
                        Eduardo Baretto Original KIRBY DARKSEID Art SUPERPOWER | eBay

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 20, 2011

^^^^^^^^^

Hmmmphh. Not too bad a price on it, either....
                          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• GaryPlaysWithDolls
                            Mighty Man/Monster Maker
                            • Aug 14, 2007

Dark-side, though I do have an inappropriate comment about "dark seed"...

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12
                            https://www.facebook.com/monsterpetsbooks?ref=hl

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎