X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

John Byrne on IDW's Star Trek

I'm sorta intrigued by this....it appears Byrne is tackling the chronicles of Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln from the Trek episode "Assignment:Earth" in a new ongoing series:

Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • Bo8a_Fett
    Pat Troughton in disguise
    • Nov 21, 2007

Could be good...when's it out Toyroom, any ideas?
    ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

May supposedly...

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
        • Nov 21, 2007

I wonder how many issues Byrne will do before slinking off...has become a habit with him over the last few years....Nice cover though.
        ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Guess he's Byrned enough bridges with the big two that he has to take work with small publishers.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
            • Nov 21, 2007

Originally posted by thunderbolt
            Guess he's Byrned enough bridges with the big two that he has to take work with small publishers.
            Ohhhhh nice pun....5 points there.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ Thanks, I'm here all week. Seriously, do you guys think Byrne's time as a regular penciler for Marvel or DC has passed? His last regular assignment was the Atom and he lasted 3 issues or so.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

Byrne, while still a "name", is not the marquee star he used to be. Compare him to George Perez, a contemporary of his. Perez, IMO, is doing some of his best work on Brave and the Bold. And I think his name has a little more "shine" to it when it's attached to a book. If Perez leaves a book, it's usually because he's in demand elsewhere or because he's just exhausted from the amount of detail he puts into his pencils. Byrne on the other hand usually high-tails it off a book after a problem with "editorial".

Nevertheless, I look foward to the Trek title....I always liked the Gary Seven concept but I'm not sure I would have noticed the book if Byrne wasn't attached to it.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                  OH JES!!
                  • Jul 21, 2005

If Byrne is true to form he'll be gone before issue five.......

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                    • Nov 21, 2007

Bets anyone.......I'm going for issue 3 being his last.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Hey, what's up with the hands on the cover? Byrne using Sears mannequins for models?

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

Byrne's characters all seem to have that "mannequin" quality lately....almost a plastic sheen to them.

Comment

• MegoSteve
                          Superman's Pal
                          • Jun 17, 2005

I like Byrne. I was a big enough fan back in the 80s to overlook some of the constant personality conflicts he seems to have, but, nowadays, his art style is kind of dated in comparison to younger artists like Frank Quitely, Pete Woods and Renato Guedes. The days where an artist could get away with having five different male faces and two or three different female faces in their drawing arsenal have passed.

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                            • Nov 21, 2007

Still love his thing, skrulls and Galactus

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

^^ You love Byrne's thing?? Ewwww.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎