X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

EC Comics by Fantagraphics

I just stumbled upon the fact that Fantagrahics is going to be reprinting a complete library of classic EC comics.

Instead of the EC Library or EC Archives, they're going to be assembled in non-chronilogical order - each book focused on a different artist. Looks like they're also going to be in black and white too.

It's impossible for me not to get excited about this work getting archived again, but personally, I'm not nuts about this format. The recent full colour Archives had their flaws, but I loved being able to read the entire comic as it was originally printed.

They're doing something similar with the new Carl Barks library too - mashing up different era's work to make each book stand on it's own AND work as a series - which bothers me less, probably just because I'm not as familiar with that stuff.

Also, I usually love what Fantagraphics does to their book designs, but the original EC covers were so gutsy and gorgeous that it seems wrong to make them all precious and modern like this to me...

I dunno - thoughts?

Last edited by Brazoo; Feb 16, '12, 5:18 AM.
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

Here's a link to the original announcement:

Fantagraphics Books | Comics and Graphic Novels - Fantagraphics Books to Publish the EC Comics Library

Comment

• Figuremod73
      That 80's guy
      • Jul 27, 2011

I think they should have released two books at a time with two issues in each. This was done in the re-release in the nineties, right? I have a few of them but not all. I would rather they were by book, when originally released. Still glad they are putting them out for those who have never seen them.

Comment

• Brazoo
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 14, 2009

I think that's how the 'floppies' were reprinted in the 90s, but I'm not sure. I didn't get those. I was buying the Gladstone "EC Archives" collection before Gladstone went under. I thought they were flawed, but better than anything before.

I think the main thing about these Fantagraphics reprints, from a business standpoint - like the new complete Carl Barks series - is that they want to make sure people can pick up random individual issues instead of making people feel like they have to buy the whole series. I guess the think it makes it more accessible to regular folks in bookstores - as oppose to just going after the comic book collector completists in comic shops. I can understand that - but as a comic book completest it's not that exciting to me.

I've read Gary Groth mention once or twice that his favorite format was the old EC Library series that printed all the inside pages in black and white - so I assume that's where the decision to do that came from - and it certainly makes the books a lot less expensive!

Personally, I can see why people love to see the linework on it's own - but I enjoy reading the books in colour the way they were originally meant to be seen. The EC Archives colouring wasn't perfect (a little too garish, too many gradient washes that looked computery), but overall they were extremely well done compared to other recolouring jobs.

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

Given that the EC material has seen print in many different formats previously, I'm interested in seeing the material grouped by artist since it's not something we've necessarily seen on this scale before. The Kurtzman and Wood volumes are something I look forward to seeing, particularly in oversized format.

Those Black and White library volumes are simply stunning. Shame they are out of print and pricey. Although it's funny how for me personally, I gravitated towards the comic book on newsprint reprints the most (I think Gemstone was the publisher?), even though at the same time I have access to the slightly larger magazine sized reprints on nice white bright paper. Something about pulpy newsprint is synonymous with EC for me in "experiencing" the story. These fancier formats are purely for drinking in the art.
          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Brazoo
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 14, 2009

I agree with you about the newsprint - which is why I love the way the more recent DC Omnibus books have been printed - best of both worlds.

I just haven't got the space or patience to buy 'floppies' any more.

I think all the previous reprints were with Gladstone and Gemstone. The slipcase black and white versions are amazing - but pricy for sure.

Comment

• Brazoo
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 14, 2009

The full colour Archives hardcovers only covered a large section of EC's work - they never finished the full series.

It's going to be hard for me to pass up any presentation of Kurtzman's work - I'm basically a sucker for anything he's ever done - and I have all the Wood work in the new Artist's Edition (he he he).

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

^^^
                did you pick up the Kutzman coffee table book? It was a complete steal at BMV for twenty bucks. There was also that really nice Bill Elder book from a few years back.

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

These are nice, but I'm still concentrating my efforts (and money) on eventually completing the original Cochran B&W EC Library volumes (about a fifth of the way there so far). To me those are the best, nice big books, sharp clear reproductions of the original art, so that you can admire all the linework without the colour, and great articles and annotations. I tried a couple of the more recent EC Archives, but I'm not crazy about the colouring work done to them, or the smaller format. So it's the original EC Library volumes for me.

Originally posted by Brazoo

They're doing something similar with the new Carl Barks library too - mashing up different era's work to make each book stand on it's own AND work as a series - which bothers me less, probably just because I'm not as familiar with that stuff.
                  The Fantagraphics Barks books are going to be published out of sequence, yes, but each volume will concentrate on a particular era. The "Lost in the Andes" book for example covers Dec 1948-Aug 1949. The book is divided up in sections, full length stories, WDC&S 10 pagers and 1 pg gags, so within the volume things are a bit out of order, but the volume as a whole covers every Barks DD from that 9 month period. So it's not a perfect situation, but not too bad. I'm very impressed so far, I just wish they'd publish more than two a year!

On a related note, I'm also really impressed with Fantagraphics' Floyd Gottfredson Mickey Mouse dailies reprint books. They look fantastic, my only complaint is I wish they reprinted the strips slightly larger. My old eyes are having a problem reading the tiny words.

Comment

• babycyclops
                    Career Member
                    • Jul 9, 2010

Originally posted by cjefferys
                    These are nice, but I'm still concentrating my efforts (and money) on eventually completing the original Cochran B&W EC Library volumes (about a fifth of the way there so far). To me those are the best, nice big books, sharp clear reproductions of the original art, so that you can admire all the linework without the colour, and great articles and annotations. I tried a couple of the more recent EC Archives, but I'm not crazy about the colouring work done to them, or the smaller format. So it's the original EC Library volumes for me.
                    This is how I feel too. The Cochran reprints are the tippy-top when it comes to reading and looking at the E.C. stories. The crisp B&W reproductions are a joy to look at. Now I'm thinking that my set of Tales from the Crypt could do with some company....

Having said that, any and every E.C. reprint series is a good thing.
                    The Gemstone/Gladstone reprints were great cos they were inexpensive, and you could pick 'em up at your local newstand; Wertham would have been spinning in his grave!

Comment

• babycyclops
                      Career Member
                      • Jul 9, 2010

And just to talk to your original question, Brazoo, I think that theseFantagraphics issues will be well worth a look. The black and white reproductions will be nice to look at, and I'm not offended by the cover design of format.

Having checked out the prices on some of the Cochran E.C. archives that are available on a couple of sites, I will definitely have to save my pennies before I can invest in any more volumes.

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

The crisp B&W reproductions gave me a new appreciation of Graham Ingels' art, that's for sure. Before I never understood the fuss about him. But when I finally got to see all his line work and details as how they looked in the original, uncoloured artwork, he's become one of my favourites. The colour really obscured a lot of the work of many of the fine artists that EC had.

Comment

• Brazoo
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 14, 2009

samurainoir - I have the Kurtzman coffee table book, but I haven't grabbed the Elder one yet. I should.

cjefferys - Yeah, the Cochran ones are spectacular, and I had been thinking about trying to start a collection for years, but they're expensive. When the Gemstone ones came out and were more affordable I stared getting those - I didn't love the colouring, but comparing it to a lot of other re-coloured volumes, it's not horrible to me either - and I thought the line reproduction was very good.

Frankly, I got a handful of them when they were mis-priced on Amazon a couple of years ago, so that also weighed my decision to start collecting those.

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

Some of the, are fairly reasonably priced if you consider per volume costs vs today's hardcovers.
                            EC Library 3 Volume Boxed Set Books VALOR/M.D./IMPACT Russ Cochran Comics | eBay
                            EC Comics Extra EC Library Volume (New Direction) | eBay
                            The Haunt of Fear EC Library Volume 3 | eBay

Vault of horror for forty bucks a piece seems like a steal.
                            THE COMPLETE VAULT OF HORROR EC LIBRARY SET - BRAND NEW NEAR MINT STILL SEALED!! | eBay

Haunt of Fear for about thirty bucks a volume
                            EC LIBRARY, HAUNT OF FEAR, 5 hardback set, COCHRAN OR GEMSTONE | eBay

Complete EC Library 4 Volume Box Set CRIME PATROL/WAR AGAINST CRIME Russ Cochran | eBay

EC LIBRARY, "NEW DIRECTION", 4 hardbacks in slipcase: ACES HIGH, EXTRA, M.D. | eBay
                            Last edited by samurainoir; Feb 26, '12, 4:25 PM.

Comment

• Brazoo
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 14, 2009

Yeah, that's a fair point comparing them to modern prices. I usually see them around $200 per set - which isn't horrible. Some of the books are rarer and more expensive though I believe.

That Vault of Horror set is at $195 now - so I guess he corrected the price. Then he doesn't ship to Canada - then even if I convince him to do that the shipping is going to be expensive.

The completist in me thinks the hunt for all these books would drive me crazy - and modern full-price books are expensive, but there's always the possibility of finding deals on Amazon or BMV. For example - I got most of my EC Archives for under $20 - and only paid full price on the first Two-Fisted Tales because I'm Kurtzman crazy.

I came across this article that claims that a new company called GC Press is going to continue with the Archives, which is pretty awesome if it's true:

EC Archives To Return!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎