• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imp
    Mego Book Author
    • Apr 20, 2003

Support Ghost Rider Creator Gary Friedrich

Hey Mego pals and comic lovers,

I'd like to draw your attention to our attempts to support Gary Friedrich. In case you haven't already heard:

Several years ago, upon learning the comics publisher planned a Ghost Rider movie – which ultimately earned $228,738,393 worldwide – the character's creator, Gary Friedrich, believed he held the film rights and sued Marvel Entertainment. HE LOST. He lost the court battle 'fair-and-square,' but now HE owes Marvel $17,000.

[Aquaman Shrine creator] Rob Kelly and I have established a "Support Gary Friedrich" Facebook page. Please help us tell Marvel to DO THE RIGHT THING and Forgive Gary's Debt.

facebook.com/SupportGaryFriedrich

Our goal is simple: We want Marvel to forgive Gary's absurd debt.

Rob and I ask you to please help spread the word. Thanks very much!

Benjamin Holcomb,
    Portland, OR
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Never understand why all these guys think they get some piece of the pie, it was work for hire. Unless it was in the contract they signed, Marvel doesn't owe him a thing.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• imp
      Mego Book Author
      • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
      Never understand why all these guys think they get some piece of the pie, it was work for hire. Unless it was in the contract they signed, Marvel doesn't owe him a thing.
      You are absolutely right. Friedrich mistakenly believed he held the film rights. We are not disputing the court's judgement, just urging Marvel to reconsider making an example of the creator. Marvel, owned by Disney, does not need $17,000 yet they are demanding payment. It just isn't necessary.

-b

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

He was just down here in Louisville last Summer. He autographed an enlarged framed cover of Marvel Spotlight #5 for me. Very nice gentleman. Very frail too. I definitely will show my support.

Comment

• johnnystorm
          Hot Child in the City
          • Jul 3, 2008

Effectively they are also putting the poor guy out of business as well. He can't sell prints with Ghost Rider on them nor claim any right as creator? Kind of a vengeful decision they went after here. Every artist or writer sells prints or sketches of characters they have worked on at conventions & appearances. Yet Friedrich alone can't sell any? I know Gary was charging $2.00 a pop to sign his name on comics etc. at the last con I saw him at. He was one of the few creators with no line. But he seemed like he needed the cash.
          Did they impose this same thing upon Marv Wolfman over Blade or Steve Gerber over Howard the Duck?

Comment

• BlackKnight
            The DarkSide Customizer
            • Apr 16, 2005

wow......... This is why I supported IMage comics so hardcore back in the day.
            ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• emeraldknight47
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 20, 2011

Mr. Freidrich is coming back to Louisville this summer for the Derby City Comic Con II, MIB41, plus I know he's is usually in Metropolis, Illinois for the Superman Celebration as well. He is a super nice guy. That being said, I have to agree that, back in the day, when a creator was working for one of the big two, who were the only ones around at the time, really, publishing stuff like GHOST RIDER, it was likely made clear (or not) to them that whatever they created underneath that company's banner was going to become proprietary to the company, leaving the writer or artist to get what monies they could from the publisher and from conventions appearances, etc. I do also agree, however, that neither MARVEL nor DISNEY stand to gain a thing by pursuing Mr. Freidrich for the paltry sum if money he "owes" them; I mean come on, to both companies, it's not even really pocket change. Forgive the man his debt, Mickey, and move on....!
              sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ However, if Disney/Marvel forgive his debt over the court costs or whatever, they will set a precedent for future suits. And say a thousand creators sue DM and all fail and Disney eats the court costs then. It gets a little pricier for them.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 20, 2011

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                  THAT would be known as the dreaded "slippery slope" syndrome, and, yeah, they COULD get sued by more folks, but the question is WOULD they?
                  sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Exactly. If no one is winning AND is publicly getting placed at the 'mercy' of Marvel or DC afterwards, that may not encourage too many folks to pursue these claims if they don't have their ducks in a row. I think this story alone will garner enough attention to illustrate that point.

Comment

• megoscott
                      Founding Partner
                      • Nov 17, 2006

I found this to be a helpful explanation of the issue.

Friedrich v. Marvel Ruling -- Corporate Bullying at Its Most Distasteful
                      This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                        That 80's guy
                        • Jul 27, 2011

Sorry to hear another sad story involving a comics creator. Maybe at least ease the debt a little?

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                          THAT would be known as the dreaded "slippery slope" syndrome, and, yeah, they COULD get sued by more folks, but the question is WOULD they?
                          If the precedent were set that it was ok to sue them as they will eat the court costs and it will cost the little guy nothing to try, then yea they might.

Comment

• johnnystorm
                            Hot Child in the City
                            • Jul 3, 2008

As to the statements concerning artists using Marvel & DC characters in convention prints & sketches (as I mentioned above): I wonder how many big name artists are "exempt" from this, and how many may actually have this permission granted via contracts they signed with the companies to do work. I can't see either company tossing aside a cash cow artist like Hughes, J. Scott Campbell, Perez, etc. to pursue 'chump-change' con sketch money.

I can see that someone like Gary Friedrich is of no value in the eyes of corporate comics as, sadly, he falls into a category many former writers currently find themselves in. Therefore they can issue an ultimatum, and enforce it when and to whom they see fit.

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
                              70's Era Pimp
                              • Sep 7, 2011

Maybe I am stepping over the line by mentioning this, but I think this was a great thread that Ben put together to garner support for Mr. Friedrich. I don't think it's really nice to debate the right/wrong and legality issues. Perhaps starting another thread or simply not going to the facebook page to lend support would be the way to go.

I don't think Ben was looking for an open discussion on this (hell, I could be wrong). In a way, this is very much like discussing politics....feelings can get hurt.

I don't mean this as a ridicule of the ones debating, just making a point that we should perhaps respect Ben's intent here. Which is to help someone who helped us all enjoy our childhood a little more by showcasing his talent for the world to see.

(EDIT: If this is coming across as snotty or whatever, please MODS, feel free to delete it. I am not trying to cause an issue.)
                              Last edited by Toyman_Chris; Feb 11, '12, 7:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎