X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

The Richest Comic Creator Ever

is the man who's NYX was yanked, and Marvel/Comics Industry Bridge burned by an offensive public post against EIC at the time, Joe Quesada.

David Choe The Comics And Graffiti Artist Who Is Now Richer Than All The Rest | Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors

Ironically 200 Million would have probably been enough to buy Marvel during that bankrupcy period.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • Adam West
    Museum CPA
    • Apr 14, 2003

Smart move on his part.
    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

Let's see if he puts back into comics are just swims around his money bin like Uncle Scrooge!

It occurs to me that Eastman and Laird might possibly have a much bigger payday across 25 years of royalties and the sale of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to Nikelodeon for 60 Million. Eastman of course tried to give back by starting Tundra Publishing and bled 16 Million as a result, then gave up the Ghost of creator rights in favour of Heavy Metal Magazine. Laird runs the Xeric Grants, which has a much more solid track record of promoting indie publishing to new and diverse voices.

Comment

• Figuremod73
        That 80's guy
        • Jul 27, 2011

I would have swore it was Stan Lee.

Comment

• Mego Superboy Prime
          Career Member
          • Nov 27, 2009

It is Stan Lee make no mistake about it...
          If you're a fan of old-school toys, toons and comics then my blog is the place for you!!!

Comment

• Blue Meanie
            Banned
            • Jun 23, 2001

Hate to say it but it's probably McFarlane....from actual comic book related stuff. Toys, movies, etc. During the major part of the 70's Stan was just a figurehead for Marvel...a showman more than anything else. He wasn't writing anymore and Cadence was in charge of Marvel. Stan was probably getting paid...but it's small by comparison with what McFarlane has gotten over time.

Saying someone is the richest isn't really fair...McFarlane probably learned from the artists and creators that came before him what to do and what not to do in terms of controling or being in control of licensing. Different times meant a different type of wealth. Siegel and Shuster would probably be the richest of them all if they had contracts or control over characters like they do today. Shoulda...coulda...woulda...but didn't.

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

Might have been Stan if he had a big payday on Stan Lee Media, but didn't hs partner rob everyone blind, nearly taking down the Clinton White house in the process? I thought his lawsuit with Marvel was pretty small potatoes in comparison with his yearly salary there only about a million or so before they cut his exclusivity.

Since then I don't see anything bringing a paycheck that large... Stripperella?!

Not sure if McFarlane toys would have ever grossed anywhere near 200 Million either, but the dude did own the Edmonton Oilers at one point didn't he?

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

Lee's attorneys have filed papers in Manhattan federal court stating Marvel signed a deal to give their client 10% of any profits from his characters used in films and television shows. Lee states he has not received a sole penny from Marvel, despite "Spider-Man" being this year's biggest hit - grossing $403 million domestically.
                http://www.teako170.com/lawsuit.html

Hokey smokes this was the part of the lawsuit I forgot about. Depending on what the settlement was, if he does get percentages, then that means big paydays on everything from X-Men, to Fantastic Four, Iron Man to the Hulk, and Avengers, not to mention Spiderman. Plus the cartoons and toys and other licensed merch. Even if it's net not gross, that is still a ridiculously huge amount if his settlement was anywhere close to that.

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I thought it was Naoko Takeuchi or Akira Toriyama.

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎