Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

>It's not shocking that on the whole, the maneuvering of publishers has always been based around their leverage rather than ethics.

....plus, in modern times after the file sharing scare entertainment companies have been more concerned with shoring up distribution than producing stuff.

>What's shocking is how the salt mines are still being able to run based on any given creators childhood love of Spiderman or Batman overriding self interest.

Hmmmm.... y'know; that's not really surprising to me. You've got two generations of fans who grew up with a terribly insular notion of what "comics" is. That being, Marvel and DC.... and for the second crop, Image. And since the 90's you've had a bunch who see comics as the route to fame and fortune; unheard of prior, since cartoonists didn't make as much. (Or at least weren't portrayed as making that much: Byrne didn't make a highly publicised bidd for the sword from Swartzenegger's "Conan" or start his own toy company....) So you've got a crop of potential cartoonists who see comics as more of a job, and thematicly see comics as just superheroes. I'm not surprised they'd be clamouring for a chance at Batman, instead of their own works. Not only are they okay with the grist mill, they DESIRE it since it takes away a lot of the uncertainty.

>Now you've got top tier talent lining up based around the same warm gushy feelings about watchmen.

Nostalgia has a downside: it keeps you locked into the past, and the old ways of thinking. For a cartoonist, Watchmen is a great job: no matter WHAT you do it's gonna get talked about. Nothing they create on their own would get anywhere's near the press.... which I think speaks poorly of a lot of the fans.

Don C.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎