The Mego Museum needs your help!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Captain Marvel Is Dead...Long Live Shazam?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

WTH is that flattop version? I like elements of it, but the half globes on the cape have to go. The rest is kind of a neat redesign, and this is coming from a Shazam traditionalist.
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• madmarva
      Talkative Member
      • Jul 7, 2007

Man, it's been 15 years since his death, but I still miss Curt Swan's art. Love that Captain Thunder issue and particularly that panel with Superman holding Thunder in a full nelson. The The Shaman looks cool, too.
      Last edited by madmarva; Jan 29, '12, 9:42 PM.

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by madmarva
        Man, it's been 15 years since his death, but I still miss Curt Swan's art. Love that Captain Thunder issue and particularly that panel with Superman hold Thunder in a full nelson. The The Shaman looks cool, too.
        I was recently reading an issue of Amaxing Heroes published soon after the 80's Crisis reboot, and Curt Swan was one of the guys they talked to, along with other Superman creators that were dumped at that point (Elliot S! maggin was interviewed to.)

Really quit sad, although he was given bits and pieces like the Superman Earth Stealers, as well as the two pager in Action Comics Weekly, at the end of the day, his final published Superman was in Penthouse Comix illustrating Suerman sex scenes that accompanied A reprint of Larry Niven's Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex essay exploring how Suerman and Lois couldn't get it on.

I really wish he had a chance to work with Alan Moore on Supreme. That would have been something.
        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• johnnystorm
          Hot Child in the City
          • Jul 3, 2008

Well, I'm not sure calling it the CURSE of Shazam bodes well, but Johns did do pretty good on Green Lantern, and Hawkman too (at least until diDickio meddled it to death).
          Gotta say, I've liked this version a lot:

Aw, yeah!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I haven't read Ross' Rough Justice, so the Nightwing and Martian Manhunter(?) sketches are new to me. I got my Ross Shazam info from an issue of Alter Ego about the "Curse of Shazam".

DC almost brought back the original "Captain Thunder" in the mid-80s, right before Crisis. But, ironically, because Roy Thomas had taken the name for a character of his own elsewhere, they were going to call him "Colonel Lightning" this time. The whole story got shelved and never printed, even though Alex Sauviak drew the whole thing!

It is insane to think DC wouldn't take ANY pitch Ross gave them. Ross was working on Geoff Johns to script it too as I recall. Isn't that essentially just printing money there? Too pick Winnick and Howard Porter over those two was just plain nuts, and it ruined what was left of the character.

Don't forget Alan Moore's proposed "Twilight" crossover mini of the late 80s would have had the Captain MARRIED to his sister Mary in super-heroic incest. Holy Moley!!!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎