X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Comic Book Men on AMC

BREAKING: Kevin Smith's Comic Shop Reality Show Might Not Be the Worst Thing Ever - Topless Robot

Pawnstars for nerds, I'm in.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Starring Walt Flanigan! Tell 'em Steve-Dave. Is the other guy his regular podcast partner (the one who plays Steve Dave in the movies)?

He's been pretty entertaining on the Kevin Smith podcasts I've occasionally listened to.

Comic fans might have a bit of an issue with the Batman miniseries Flanagan drew... Depicting Batman peeing his drawers a little bit thanks to Kevin Smith's script.

It will be interesting to see how "inside" they might go... References to Tracers would be my first choice to hit the cutting room floor.

Flanagan (through no fault of his own) is also known in geekdom for driving Ben Affleck nuts in the commentary track of a Kevin Smith movie (chasing amy?) because Smith constantly interrupts him to point out scenes with Flanagan cameos (he's the "Lon Chaney" of the Askewniverse)
    Last edited by samurainoir; Jan 9, '12, 6:14 PM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooo going to see this......

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Neat!
        sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

Not a fan of Kevin Smith....I'll pass....
          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Blue Meanie
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 23, 2001

It all depends on the people they show...but this may actually help out the ailing comic book stores around the country. If they get the "Comic Book Guy" from the Simpsons...then it won't help. But if they get your every day normal "Joe" it may help out a lot. I'll check it out when it comes on. BTW, I HATE the Pawn Stars show. Bunch of greedy lowballing thieves....especially the grandson. Now American Pickers....that's a show. Mike and Frank deal with the people they pick honestly. At least they offer half , or close to half, of what the stuff is worth. The guys on Pawn Stars are just out and out crooks.

This will be an interesting show to watch.
            "When not too many people can see we're all the same
            And because of all their tears,
            Their eyes can't hope to see
            The beauty that surrounds them
            Isn't it a pity".

- "Isn't It A Pity"
            By George Harrison

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list:
            Good Traders List - Page 80 - Mego Talk

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

^^^
              not sure that is entirely accurate if you look at the two different business models... The overhead of a huge Las Vegas Pawn Shop with large showroom floor, storage and even a garage for cars and bikes... Add the staffing costs of that, plus the real estate property taxes etc. That kind of stuff can get quickly out of hand... Particularly if you do get stuck with a lot of dead stock that just sits there for years rather than have a constant high turnover. Remember, for the mst part pAwn stores compete with retail, so they are hardly asking the premium price for most items... They buy low to sell low in reality.

The American pickets don't carry that kind of overhead, and I'm guessing aren't even close to the league of the kind of $$$ of the pawn store business. They are pretty small time in comparison... Particularly since their real focus is the collectibles (for a pwn store, I'd imagine that is the side business... Again compared to the margins that gold and jewelry bring in relativevto the amount of floor space and real estate they give out... And let's not forget that pawning is about loaning and a certain degree if desperation, or even laziness on a sellers part, if they want the premium price they should sell direct themselves to collectors, not a pawn shop)

Plus remember how highly constructed pAwn Stars seems to be compared to how a real pawn store actually operates... They are on the history channel, so there is the mundane day to day aspects that is probably their bread and butter... Gold, Jeweley and the car wrecks of humanity (like you see in Hardcore Pawn) that doesn't really seem to exist on the show outside of the initial pitch video. I'd imagine all those big showy items on the TV show are mostly for the tourists (and I think they even state that when buying certain items).
              Last edited by samurainoir; Jan 9, '12, 11:40 PM.

Comment

• Marvelmania
                A Ray of Sunshine
                • Jun 17, 2001

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                Not a fan of Kevin Smith....I'll pass....
                I get you completely. Never been a fan of him but I'll still check this out.

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

Can we assume that this would be shot at Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash in Red Bank NJ?

Might be an opportunity for local Mego fans to go in and promote some Mego love. If it's as constructed as Pawn Stars is, they would probably love to see rare Megos and then go through the pretense of wheelin' and dealing.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I can take Smith's humor in small doses. I'm not sure I'd be in for a whole series. It'd be worth a watch a time or two though for sure.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Brazoo
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 14, 2009

Yeah - If this is more about awesome comics and less about Kevin Smith I'm cool with it.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Brazoo
                        Yeah - If this is more about awesome comics and less about Kevin Smith I'm cool with it.
                        Ditto, Brazoo. A little Smith goes a loooooong way and he does seem to apply quite of bit of "himself" to most stuff he's attached to...
                        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

the Lead in from Walking Dead should be huge for this show.

Comment

• jimsmegos
                            Mego Dork
                            • Nov 9, 2008

Being that Walt has always been the true comic book guy of the Smith entourage I think this will be an interesting show. I'll give it a go.

Comment

• LadyZod
                              Superman's Gal Pal
                              • Jan 27, 2007

I enjoy Kevin Smith stuff. My husband, not so much.

His argument against Clerks was "I lived that! Why would I watch it as entertainment?!"

And considering we met while working together in a Comic Book Shop over 10 years ago, I can only imagine his argument against this show.

I'll still try to catch it, mind you. I'll just have to put up with his pouting when he enters the room.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                              Check out my art:
                              Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                              Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎