X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Spider-Man: One More Day Conclusion

So now that the dust has settled, what does everyone think? I still don't care for the end result but the writing by JMS helped to dull the pain a little bit. But I hear he wasn't too happy with many of the aspects of the storyline and wanted his name taken off at one point.

The thing that confused me most was the return of Harry Osborn. ??!! Last I knew he was dead...how the heck did he get jump started as a result of Peter and MJ's pact with Mephisto?
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

So...spell it out for me. I know Peter went to plead to Dr. Strange to fix it so Aunt May wouldn't die, and MJ also made a deal, and the end result was Peter and MJ were never married, and MJ is now...Jackpot.

I said it before. Flash did pretty much this same storyline 5 years ago, but they had the good sense to make the changes temporary. And apparently this was Grant Morrison and Mark Waid's solution to "ending" the Superman/Lois marriage a few years back, although it got shot down.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

So...spell it out for me.
      Peter and MJ make a deal with Mephisto...they give up their marriage for Aunt May to live (why?). MJ bargains a little more and asks Mephisto to make everyone forget Parker is Spidey. He agrees. She also asks to make things right so Peter has a chance at happiness. Mephisto waffles until MJ whispers something in his ear (the word balloon is so small it's illegible...I'm assuming it's her soul). They say their final goodbyes. Next morning Peter wakes up and heads to a surprise party of a returning-from-rehab Harry Osborn (!). MJ is there, looking sad, she and Peter exchange glances and she soon leaves the party. On to "Brand New Day"...

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

That is the stupidest thing comics related I've ever heard. Why deal with the devil to save a hundred and fifty year old lady?? The best follow up to this would be Aunt May having a heart attack and dying in a few issues. That's how deals with the devil usually go in fiction, ironic twist ending. If any cast of characters should stay away from dealings with the mystical stuff its Spidey's. I give it two years tops before its all undone.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

>The best follow up to this would be Aunt May having a heart attack and dying in a few issues. That's how deals with the devil usually go in fiction, ironic twist ending.

Wasn't that the origin of the Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider?

Don C.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ I think that's how it went in the movie. Blaze saved daddy from cancer, then he wrecked his bike in a jump.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

So rather than have a happily married Spider-Man, they'd rather have one who does business with Satan?

Aunt May is old. She is probably past the exptectant life span of a woman her age. Who in their right mind would sacrifice their marriage and their soul for that?

They should have left poor May dead after Spidey #400. That was a good death for her, and Spidey dealt with it with the maturity we thought he had since Amazing Fantasy #15.

The Spidey books over the last several years have been one out-of-character-out-of-left-field-"event"-after-another. I'm so glad I haven't wasted my money on these.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• jds1911a1
                Alan Scott is the best GL
                • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by ctc
                >The best follow up to this would be Aunt May having a heart attack and dying in a few issues. That's how deals with the devil usually go in fiction, ironic twist ending.

Wasn't that the origin of the Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider?

Don C.
                YEP Crash Blaze dies of a heart attack instead. Roy THomas nod to faust

Comment

• The Toyroom
                  The Packaging King
                  • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  The Spidey books over the last several years have been one out-of-character-out-of-left-field-"event"-after-another. I'm so glad I haven't wasted my money on these.
                  Agreed..although I did buy the final part of "One More Day" to see the trainwreck for myself.

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
                    Career Member
                    • May 14, 2007

Look for Peter Parker as the new Ghost Rider soon
                    Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• aquatroy
                      Permanent Member
                      • Apr 28, 2002

I've been checking out the Marvel Podcast every now and then. I think that at some time during every podcast I've listened to, someone from Marvel say's, "Just think how different the MU would be if Stan was still in charge." Which is a great point, because Stan was fearless with the characters. Stan would probably have killed off Aunt May and MJ years ago, but he wouldn't negate 20 years of stories with something as rediculous as a "deal with the devil".

Stupid stupid stupid.
                      Hey! Check out the pictures.

Comment

• danadoll
                        Micronaut Nut!
                        • Apr 11, 2005

Originally posted by ShadowAvenger
                        Look for Peter Parker as the new Ghost Rider soon
                        Uh...Wouldn't that be Ghost Spider? LOL!

I'm not the biggest fan of Spider-Man, but I appreciate his history and continuity...I knew Joe Quesada has been trying to find a way to get rid of Mary Jane...This however, is the stupidest idea I've heard. Killing her off wasn't an option (it would make Peter a widower and in the reader's eyes...Older), divorce would have been just as bad (I can see Quesada's point on both of those counts)...But a deal with the devil to save ancient Aunt May and wipe their marriage from existance? Ugh!

What is so bad about letting the character stay married?

Dana
                        Last edited by danadoll; Dec 31, '07, 6:40 PM.
                        "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

I think I would have preferred hearing that Superboy's punching somehow affected the Marvel Universe....
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

I predict that MJ and Peter will eventually hook-up again....to prove to Mephisto that their love IS stronger than a deal with the devil. How they get to that point will probably unfold over the next few years...at which point no one will care anymore.

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                              Pat Troughton in disguise
                              • Nov 21, 2007

This just smacks of papering over the hideous cracks in continuity following the "civil war" debacle amongst other things ... it was almost writing by numbers, no1 save aunt may, no 2 get everyone to forget PP is Spidey, no 3 ...etc, etc. Obviously the changes made were not popular (like the clone saga) and it has to be changed and this was the quickest way of doing it..screw wether it makes sense or not or is well written.
                              ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎