• Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Aquaman II

Electric Boogaloo

The Aquaman Shrine: Amazing Heroes Preview Special #3 - 1986
    Last edited by samurainoir; Dec 4, '11, 10:45 AM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

So what caused this to be squashed?
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Rob Kelley has quite a bit of info about this series on the Aquaman Shrine. Just off the top of my head I think it was that Hamilton was really picky about his work, and DC decided to move on with a special rather than wait. Now why they couldn't just wait, I don't know. It wasn't like Aquaman had a huge presence on comic racks at the time.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

Chris is right, Hamilton was down to a snail's pace on the sequel and publishing comics in the eighties waits for no man. They were anxious to capitalize on the success of the mini and there were dangling threads that they decided to wrap up in the special, as well as getting Arthur back into the orange threads. I'm probably one of the few who really liked the ocean camo. It was probably a huge pain to draw properly though.

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

Chris is right... Hamilton slowed down to a crawl (I remember the delays at the Time they had getting the first mini out), and comics scheduling in the eighties waits for no man. particularly since the first one was pretty successful (despite the delays).

They wanted to wrap up the dangling plot threads and get him back into the orange shirt, so in '88 the special came out.

Then in '89 we had the Giffen One shot and mini... With great curt swan art.

Last edited by samurainoir; Dec 6, '11, 1:16 PM.

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

It's a shame s fiftieth anniversary wasn't as exciting.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Swan really showed his stuff on that Aquaman series. I didn't care for the story, but the artwork was beautiful. The special inked by Eric Shanower was especially nice!

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
                Talkative Member
                • Jul 7, 2007

Agreed. Swan's Aquaman was cool. I'd only seen him draw Aquaman in the fruit pie ads before.

I liked Aquaman's camo costume, too. I bought one of Austin Hough's version of the suit for a mego at Mego Meet last summer.

Looking at the scale's on AM's tunic made me think it would have been cool to see what Swan would have done with Captain America.
                Last edited by madmarva; Dec 6, '11, 11:44 PM.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                  Banned
                  • Jun 23, 2001

Been doing some searching on ebay for original art and came across this Hamilton unused page from an Aquaman series. Could it be from the sequel?

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

BTW, the first Hamilton Mini and the Trevor Von Eeden Green Arrow Mini Series are my favorites of the 80's mini's that came out.

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

Found this as well, always kind of feels so odd to see Curt Swan drawing post Crisis characters.

Of course I'm not sure if it's sad or hilarious that Swan's last work was illustrating Suoerman getting it on with Lois as illustrations for Arry Niven's essay Man if Steel Woman if Kleenex for Penthouse comix. I'm hoping it brought him some subversive joy after being more or less phased out of DC comics, rather being just a nice fat paycheck for him (Penthouse's page rates were apparently through the roof, which is why they had top tier talent like Adam Hughes).
                    Last edited by samurainoir; Dec 19, '11, 2:23 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Swan was RARELY inked well. Even George Klein and Murphy Anderson changed his art dramatically, despite the pleasing combo. The Batman piece above was a pin-up in a Batman Gallery or some such,and the inking made it look like Swan had lost it. Jim Aparo suffered the same fate at DC around the same time. Inkers were chosen for him that did not mesh with his style.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎