X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sowth
    Career Member
    • Mar 14, 2006

Action Comics #1 at $1.3M with 4 days to go

The first $2M comic book? The mind boggles!

This one was apparently stolen 10 years ago, then turned up recently in the contents of an auctioned storage unit, if you believe the stories.

Fun to watch for us mortals anyway...
    Toltoys Kid Vintage Australian Toys and Ice Creams
  • clemso
    Talkative Member
    • Aug 8, 2001

Will you look at that, it looks like it just came off the news stand.

Comment

• clemso
      Talkative Member
      • Aug 8, 2001

Originally posted by Sowth
      The first $2M comic book? The mind boggles!

This one was apparently stolen 10 years ago, then turned up recently in the contents of an auctioned storage unit, if you believe the stories.

Fun to watch for us mortals anyway...
      Apparently this copy was stolen from Nicholas Cage and may still belong to him.

Comment

• NewForce
        Persistent Member
        • Apr 5, 2008

the book belongs to the insurance company (it was formerly Nic. Cage's copy that was stolen some 10 years ago) and in an agreement with Stephen Fishler (owner of Metropolis comics), they have "employeed" Comic connect to auction it off...not sure how much longer I will be high bidder, as I expect book to go for 1.75Mil or more (I give up way short of that!)

I inspected the book in great detail in NY last month, and at 1.4mil I would be happy to own the book (I feel it is a 2 mil book in the not too distant future), but any more than that, and I am "out"

certainly will be fun to watch the results... that said, the book I am most interested in, is the cgc 5.5 Superman 1 seigel copy...

Comment

• clemso
          Talkative Member
          • Aug 8, 2001

Originally posted by NewForce
          the book belongs to the insurance company (it was formerly Nic. Cage's copy that was stolen some 10 years ago) and in an agreement with Stephen Fishler (owner of Metropolis comics), they have "employeed" Comic connect to auction it off...not sure how much longer I will be high bidder, as I expect book to go for 1.75Mil or more (I give up way short of that!)

I inspected the book in great detail in NY last month, and at 1.4mil I would be happy to own the book (I feel it is a 2 mil book in the not too distant future), but any more than that, and I am "out"

certainly will be fun to watch the results... that said, the book I am most interested in, is the cgc 5.5 Superman 1 seigel copy...
          $1.4 mill? How many carded GGs can you buy for that

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by clemso
            I'd rather own that single copy of Action Comics #1 than multiple carded GGs of other comics.

It's like having that one masterpiece, Leonardo DaVinci's Mona Lisa...than a bunch of Andy Warhol's pop art stuff...lol.
            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Man...you are a high roller...

sigpic

Comment

• NewForce
                Persistent Member
                • Apr 5, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
                Man...you are a high roller...

This would purely be an investment purchase. I don't roll that high lol

Comment

• toys2cool
                  Ultimate Mego Warrior
                  • Nov 27, 2006

dam that's crazy
                  "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                  My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• NewForce
                    Persistent Member
                    • Apr 5, 2008

Originally posted by clemso
                    Well since only a handful are known to exist... Not many hehe

Comment

• jimbutsu
                      Memory *is* RAM!
                      • Apr 11, 2002

What do you suppose the dentist's copy would command if he ever sold it? Lot more than $2 million, if this one does what I think it will.
                      "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• NewForce
                        Persistent Member
                        • Apr 5, 2008

Originally posted by jimbutsu
                        What do you suppose the dentist's copy would command if he ever sold it? Lot more than $2 million, if this one does what I think it will.
                        my understanding is that he has recently turned down 5 million... more, imo, than it is worth

Comment

• The Megomaniac
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 22, 2007

I first thought this was a regraded version of the 8.5 that sold a little while ago. But I compared the covers and they are in fact two different copies. Bidding is now over $1.55 million. Can't way to see where it ends...

Comment

• The Megomaniac
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 22, 2007

my understanding is that he has recently turned down 5 million... more, imo, than it is worth
                            They say that his copy would grade about a 9.4. Is that the Mile High copy?

Comment

• NewForce
                              Persistent Member
                              • Apr 5, 2008

Originally posted by The Megomaniac
                              They say that his copy would grade about a 9.4. Is that the Mile High copy?
                              likely a 9.2 (consensus between steve borock and steve fishler)...maybe a press away from a 9.4, but yes, that is the book

I was outbid last night, as I knew I would be...c'est la vie!

was never in question that this copy was a diff one than the kramer 8.5 copy

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎