X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UnderdogDJLSW
    To Fear is Not Logical...
    • Feb 17, 2008

DCnu - anyone going digital?

DC seems to keep pushing the fact that you can now get issues electronically. I'm old fashioned and neither my phone nor I is really that smart So, I'll still be getting tree pulp. Plus, hopefully helping out my LCS.
    It's all good!
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Well they are finally partnering with the local comic shops to offer both print and digital for one price. This should be an interesting experiment... will folks buying the floppy be willing to pay an extra buck or two to get the digital as well?

Two Morrows have actually been offering digital copies of their magazines with the purchase of the print version. Which I appreciate greatly as both an old school collector and someone who's been reading off of an ipad for the better part of a year now.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

I absolutely loath digital books.

I like actually owning the books I buy instead of just getting a limited license of a digital copy. Media conglomerates, of course, love digital because they don't have to actually employ people to manufacture and distribute physical copies and consumers don't actually get to own anything. Do not be so quick to give up your right of ownership.

If you love books and comics please don't go digital. Tapping a touch screen on a kindle or Ipad is a poor replacement to actually be able to physically hold and experience a book. Also, no more physical books and comics means no more comic book stores and book stores. Please support your local comic book stores. I would hate to see this part of our history and culture die.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• kingdom warrior
        OH JES!!
        • Jul 21, 2005

I will never ever support digital comics!!.......there is nothing like sitting down and reading a comic book and flipping through the pages.....and i miss the smell of old comics.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

not to thrilled about digital either, but face facts, print will be dead in a few years, as will actual dvd's and cd's. It'll all be download or streaming down the line.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

No digital on the horizon for me....
            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• anarocker
              Museum's Young Gun
              • Jul 16, 2011

Originally posted by The Toyroom
              No digital on the horizon for me....
              Same here.

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

I don't think the floppy comic book will disappear entirely, but as we can see with all the variants we are inundated with, it will increasingly be a more limited edition collectible object with an increased price tag as print runs shrink.

I'd also imagine gimmicks that cannot be replicated on digital screens will be making a comeback. Glow in the dark, foil embossed, die cut covers etc. Just like 3-D and rumble seats are becoming the rage at cinemas... I even noticed smell-o-vision is being promoted as "4D" on the new Spy Kids film. It's the 50's all over again (as theaters fought back against TV)

Warren Ellis recently released a print comic that sold out online within 48 hrs. It includes a UV light that reveals hidden text when it's shone on the page.
                SVK - Products - BERG

Most comic shops I know have diversified into Toys, statues, t-shirts etc. From the back part of the Diamond catalogue. I'd imagine the focus would likely shift more and more into this realm as digital gains more ground as old school comic readers quite literally die off within the next couple of decades. My younger brother has been reading off a computer screen for as long as he's been able to read and he turns 30 this year.
                Last edited by samurainoir; Aug 15, '11, 8:28 AM.
                My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I'll never go digital, I stare at a screen enough as it is. I love reading magazines.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I prefer paper too, but I have no problem with digital; especially if it lets me read stuff I normally wouldn't. The big problem though, is the companies that publish digital and paper copies seem to sell them for almost the same price! Digital ones should be a lot cheaper; less manufacturing, less transport cost....

Don C.

Comment

• Riffster
                      Atomic batteries to power
                      • Jun 29, 2008

I may just for books I'm on the fence about, stuff i want to read but don't care about having in my collection
                      Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
                      And Super Powers Batman

Comment

• boynightwing
                        That Carl Guy
                        • Apr 24, 2002

I have a Kobo digital book reader. I got it for Christmas and I love it. However I couldn't use it for comics because its black and white.
                        I was thinking that when I can afford and ipad or one of its competitors, I'll go digital then. It will save so much space. I'll still buy paper versions of stuff I really care about.

Comment

• bobws
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 13, 2008

I don't like buying something i can't hold in my hands, buying digitally to me is like buying air, it can dissappear as easy as it came with one computer glich.
                          "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎