X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Tintin movie Trailer

If Stephen Spielberg can't overcome the mass audience apathy for the inherent creepiness of motion capture 3-D cartoons, then no one can.

First Trailer For Tintin Brings The Moody Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors

although apparently, Asterix isn't too far behind in jumping to 3-D animation in the cinema. I'd prefer they go the Pixar route with Obelix and co though since they are cartoony caricatures.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • clemso
    Talkative Member
    • Aug 8, 2001

Edgar Wright, isn't he the dude who is writing the Ant Man movie?

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by clemso
      Edgar Wright, isn't he the dude who is writing the Ant Man movie?
      and Shaun of the Dead, Spaced, Scott Pilgrim, and Hot Fuzz (as well as directing).

Stephen Moffat has written some of my favourite TV shows in recent memory, including Coupling, Jekyll, Sherlock and of course Dr Who.

Comment

• Brazoo
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 14, 2009

The original illustrations have such an incredible simple grace, I just don't get how this is the translation of that.

This realist approach always seems like animation for people who don't like animation to me.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
          OH JES!!
          • Jul 21, 2005

I'm so going to see this!!!!!!!!! Love TinTin

Comment

• bobws
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 13, 2008

It Looks Good.
            "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• ctc
              Fear the monkeybat!
              • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I dunno.... the thing that bothered me is that they used the CGI to make everything look more realistic. So.... why not just make it live action then? TinTin LOOKS like a real person, except for the odd movements and blank stare. They're not taking advantage of the cartooniness of the source material.

Don C.

Comment

• Surfsup
                Silver Chrome Dome
                • Dec 2, 2005

It looks good from what was shown, it would have been nice to see some more of the characters in action. I can definately see myself checking this out as I love the books.

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by ctc
                  Hmmmm....

I dunno.... the thing that bothered me is that they used the CGI to make everything look more realistic. So.... why not just make it live action then? TinTin LOOKS like a real person, except for the odd movements and blank stare. They're not taking advantage of the cartooniness of the source material.

Don C.
                  I used to watch the original movies when they were on French CBC on Saturdays. Never really worked for me.

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Brazoo
                    The original illustrations have such an incredible simple grace, I just don't get how this is the translation of that.

This realist approach always seems like animation for people who don't like animation to me.
                    Fortunately Nelvana did a bang up job translating Herge's drawings and storylines to traditional animation back in the day.
                    Veoh - Tintin - episode 1

No use trying to top such a faithful adaptation given how incredibly close they stuck to the source material.

based on the scriptwriters and Senior Spielbergo at the helm, I'm willing to forego my general aversion to motion capture 'toons to check this out. (although one recent example that I thought worked was the Resident Evil 3-D animated film... that was SUPPOSED to look creepy).
                    Last edited by samurainoir; May 18, '11, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• Brazoo
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by samurainoir
                      Fortunately Nelvana did a bang up job translating Herge's drawings and storylines to traditional animation back in the day.
                      Veoh - Tintin - episode 1

No use trying to top such a faithful adaptation given how incredibly close they stuck to the source material.

based on the scriptwriters and Senior Spielbergo at the helm, I'm willing to forego my general aversion to motion capture 'toons to check this out. (although one recent example that I thought worked was the Resident Evil 3-D animated film... that was SUPPOSED to look creepy).

These Nelvana cartoons look great!

Yeah, this could be fine, who knows. I keep getting the idea that guys like Robert Zemeckis are sitting around thinking "one day technology will have this animation thing licked and they'll be no difference between this and live action" and I just do not understand why that's interesting.

I guess I'm really just the cranky old man luddite my friends keep telling me I am!

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

^^^
                        I don't think you are alone given that folks of all ages are staying away from Zemeckis' motion capture 3-D stuff in droves.

Around the time that Mars Needs Moms bombed, I saw a not-quite-scientific graph online somewhere showing an area between the Pixar stuff and real live actors, where the brain just flatly rejects something that is not stylized enough or not real enough. Zemeckis' animated output, as well as stuff like Final Fantasy seem to occupy this space... our senses seem to reject it because we can't quite reconcile it in the way we process imagery of humans that aren't quite human.

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

Just so everyone knows and there are no misconceptions: Tintin is BELGIAN
                          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ Yeah, you can claim Tin Tin, but we got Captain America!!
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ctc
                              Fear the monkeybat!
                              • Aug 16, 2001

>I used to watch the original movies when they were on French CBC on Saturdays. Never really worked for me.

HAW! It's the 35 year old TinTin.

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎