The Mego Museum needs your help!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who love's super heroes's but not comics?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • filmation batman fan
    The Man of Many Voices
    • Aug 30, 2005

Mego Ninja.
    You might be surprised to hear this, but you and I are quite similar. Now don't get me wrong, I love comics. But like you, I prefer the 70's Bronze Age comics as well as some Silver Age over the current ones. I got my first start with Super Heroes throught media shows, which helped sell the comics to me. That's why I tend to review media versions of Super Heroes more positively than most comic fans.
    Like you, my number one favorite TV show of all time is the Incredible Hulk. Bill Bixby was my childhood idol or hero and I've met Lou Ferrigno several times. My first ever exposure to any kind of Super Hero was a Filmation cartoon called the New Adventures of Batman back in 1977. This series put me on the map and led me to the SuperFriends, the Adam West TV series of Batman, and the comics and everything just fell in to place. That's why my handle is Filmation Batman Fan. Like I said earlier. I love comics, but it was the media interpretations that got me into them in the first place.
    Cheers.

Comment

• MegoNinja
      Career Member
      • Feb 7, 2007

Originally posted by filmation batman fan
      Mego Ninja.
      You might be surprised to hear this, but you and I are quite similar. Now don't get me wrong, I love comics. But like you, I prefer the 70's Bronze Age comics as well as some Silver Age over the current ones. I got my first start with Super Heroes throught media shows, which helped sell the comics to me. That's why I tend to review media versions of Super Heroes more positively than most comic fans.
      Like you, my number one favorite TV show of all time is the Incredible Hulk. Bill Bixby was my childhood idol or hero and I've met Lou Ferrigno several times. My first ever exposure to any kind of Super Hero was a Filmation cartoon called the New Adventures of Batman back in 1977. This series put me on the map and led me to the SuperFriends, the Adam West TV series of Batman, and the comics and everything just fell in to place. That's why my handle is Filmation Batman Fan. Like I said earlier. I love comics, but it was the media interpretations that got me into them in the first place.
      Cheers.
      yeah that does sound a whole heap like me, the best super hero show after the hulk would have to be the adam west batman, I can't seem to get nearly as entertained reading comics as I can watching the TV show's. I would never have bothered to look at a comic if it wasn't for The Incredible Hulk live action, Bill Bixby is one of the best actor's I have ever seen.
      I am glad that you agree with me, I thought I was by myself as most of the member's here don't agree with me, glad to know I'm not the only media fan.
      I the Monster Hero

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

I'm getting to the point where new Superhero books are losing my interest. The Atom, JSA, Avengers Classic, and All Star Superman are my only ongoings. Other than that, I pick up the odd retro mini series like Metamorpho Year One, Agents of Atlas, and lots of Morrison's concept stuff like Seven Soldiers and Uncle Sam. I have high hopes for his Final Crisis.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• huedell
          Museum Ball Eater
          • Dec 31, 2003

Hmm, the Atom has his own ongoing title? that's pretty cool---good for Ray
          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Evel KMego
            Museum Daredevil
            • Apr 26, 2006

After the 80's comics began to be geared toward the adult collector and not kids anymore. I, like most everyone here grew up on comics that were made for kids and teens. Comics today don't have that nostalgic feel. This is the same reason I don't collect modern toys.

Comment

• Brue
              User without title
              • Sep 29, 2005

I too haven't read much in the way of comics for about 7 years. What I have read are back issues. So I am fairly clueless as to what is going on today. Besides stopping new comics in 2000 I also quit new toys. I switched over to only collecting Megos and watching TV and film stuff. I do think that our comics backgrounds have added layers to the film versions. As I mentioned a few months ago I even have thought seriously about selling off my existing collection of comics and toys (alot have already gone). I never had much high end stuff so it is not worth a ton and what money I get I have used for feeding the hungry.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by huedell
                Hmm, the Atom has his own ongoing title? that's pretty cool---good for Ray
                Sorry, its not Ray Palmer. Its Ryan Choi. He's another physics proffessor who idolized Palmer.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                  Sorry, its not Ray Palmer. Its Ryan Choi. He's another physics proffessor who idolized Palmer.
                  Well, I guess beggars can't be choosers---especially real little ones
                  "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Marvelmania
                    A Ray of Sunshine
                    • Jun 17, 2001

I was always a comic nut as a kid and i still collect the silver and bronze age comics ( a few golden age as well). I tried getting interested in comics again during the 80s and 90s but really couldn't stand any of it. Hated the stories and especially the artwork. I think I own 4 comics later than 1985 and it's from the JLA vs Avengers title. Comics and the 60s TV Batman series are what got me into superheroes.

Comment

• megoat
                      A Therefore Experience
                      • Jun 10, 2003

I am a luke warm comic fan. I have a stack of silver and bronze age that are fun to read in a nostalgic sort of way. But ultimately I find most comics really boring. After you've read a few it's always the same old thing. They rarely succeed in capturing my imagination. It's the same reason I don't read pulp westerns or romance novels--they all use formula that gets pretty old. I do love the imagery very much. But like others, most of my love for Heroes comes from other media--cartoons, TV, movies and toys. I remember when I received Megos as a child my introduction to say, a character like Thor, WAS THE MEGO DOLL ITSELF!

As for modern superhero comics, I find the art so ridiculously stupid I can hardly bear to open one up. If I'm gonna read a modern comic I'd rather read something like Hate or Eightball or American Splendor....

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by megoat

As for modern superhero comics, I find the art so ridiculously stupid I can hardly bear to open one up. If I'm gonna read a modern comic I'd rather read something like Hate or Eightball or American Splendor....
                        Oh man, I agree with you on a lot of that. I spied a "Return to Krypton" graphic novel last night at the library and took it home. The art took me right out of the story, Jor-El looked as if he'd been on a stairmaster for the past 33years....
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎