X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingdom warrior
    OH JES!!
    • Jul 21, 2005

So Who's Reading Action Comics?

So I've been playing Catch up with My stack of comic Books Finally sat down a finished Reading Action #855-857 Thought The three issues with Johns,Donner and Eric Powell on artwork were Fantastic.....I just Can't get enough Of Powell's artwork. I thought he drew a Great Bizarro.

Plus, I also finished reading Action 858 with Gary Frank as the artist, and I'm hyped his Superman looks so much like Chris Reeve.I don't ever remember anyone drawing Superman that looked so much like Reeve...Plus I thought It was a good read and the Start of a good storyline with The Legion in it.

Anyone else reading this?
    Last edited by kingdom warrior; Nov 10, '07, 8:33 AM.
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

I wasn't too impressed with the Powell/Bizarro arc...but I am digging the new one with the Legion. Promises to be a great ride for Supes and Legion fans alike.

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
    Plus, I also finished reading Action 858 with Jon Sibal as the artist, and I'm hyped his Superman looks so much like Chris Reeve.
    The artist is Gary Frank actually...
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

oops LOL! sorry early morning Brain no coffee lol!

Comment

• MegoSteve
        Superman's Pal
        • Jun 17, 2005

The Bizarro story was pretty good, but, like many modern comics, it felt like they stretched it out to three issues so they could package it later as a graphic novel. The new issue was amazing; loved the Reeve-style Superman in particular. I hadn't bought a regular issue of Action until they rebooted with the "Up, Up and Away" story, and I'm glad I started picking it up, because I've discovered some really talented artists that I wouldn't otherwise have known about (particularly Renato Guedes, my new favorite artist... I'll buy almost any book he draws, especially if he colors, too).

I'm still annoyed that they haven't wrapped up the other Donner story.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I haven't gotten my latest Action yet, but Johns and a Chris Reeve Superman sounds like the perfect comic for me.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Cosmicman
            Permanent Member
            • Jul 12, 2005

More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• davidb
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 9, 2007

Just picked up my first Action in a long time with 858 and was really pleased with it. The art looks great, nobody's acting out of character, and the original Legion may be coming back! I'm really looking forward to the next issue more than I have any Superman book for a long time.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by davidb
                I'm really looking forward to the next issue more than I have any Superman book for a long time.
                Agreed...Geoff Johns on "Action" has brought me back to the title. Now if I was only as interested in "Superman" (Busiek's recent run is...ennnh) and "Superman/Batman" (hasn't "popped" for me since the end of Leob's run).

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                  OH JES!!
                  • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                  Agreed...Geoff Johns on "Action" has brought me back to the title. Now if I was only as interested in "Superman" (Busiek's recent run is...ennnh) and "Superman/Batman" (hasn't "popped" for me since the end of Leob's run).
                  Yeah Man, Superman/Batman has become a Turd book.....The artwork has been Horrible.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Picked up the Powell issues. Wish he'd be the regular artist instead of Frank, then I would pick up Action regularly.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
                      The Packaging King
                      • Dec 31, 2004

^ To me, Frank's art has got a cleaner look that belongs on Superman/Action. Powell's art would serve better on a Batman book methinks...

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Well, if you like a guy that swipes, Gary Frank is the guy.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
                          The Packaging King
                          • Dec 31, 2004

^ That's the first I've heard of Gary Frank's art being swipes ??? Pics?

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                            ^ To me, Frank's art has got a cleaner look that belongs on Superman/Action. Powell's art would serve better on a Batman book methinks...
                            Loved Powell's Bizarros.

I think he'd do a great rendition of Two Face.
                            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Frank's swiped from Bolland

Bolland:

Frank:

There are others, but too lazy to find them. Usually Bolland is his swipe of choice, since his style already copies Bolland's work.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎