Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Captain
    Fighting the good fight!
    • Jun 17, 2001

I got to go with the first season 1940's episodes...they seemed more "comic booky" to me. Plus they had an episode with Roy Rogers!!! ---Whos such a wholesome guy he asked the producers to throw a few more clothes on WW..Now that takes some moral and intestinal fortitude!!
    "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• bobws
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 13, 2008

I'd go with the forties too. it didn't make sense for diana in the 70's to walk around with her hair down and no one realize she's WW. even with glasses!
      "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• david_b
        Never had enough toys..
        • May 9, 2008

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        I like the 40's version better. Nazis always make great villains, and period Superhero stuff is just really appealing to me. I really wish we'd get a superhero movie set in its original time. Batman in the 30's or GL in the late 50's.
        I TOTALLY AGREE..!! I was mentioning this on the Marvel/DC movies thread. I wished they would have kept the FF movies back during the Cold War, a bit more retro and truer rendition of the classic FF..

WW's first year was indeed the best. I don't know why producers always think that pulling a superhero out of their time-period and making everything 'new and current' automatically means more glamour and higher ratings...??

It just takes a LOT of the style out of the presentation, and the backdrop of how we all loved the heroes back then.

david_b
        Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• johnnystorm
          Hot Child in the City
          • Jul 3, 2008

Forties version for me was the best. Something about a hero or heroine dressed up in the flag fighting against the Axis is just so...patriotic & cool. It's something sorely lacking in today's comic market, as if today's creators are embarrassed by the thought of America standing up for itself.

Comment

• VintageMike
            Permanent Member
            • Dec 16, 2004

Originally posted by MegoGeek
            Lynda Carter could do no wrong when I was 8.

Most of the time I didn't even pay attention to the plot.
            My thoughts exactly!

Comment

• LadyZod
              Superman's Gal Pal
              • Jan 27, 2007

I loved the early WWII episodes.

The later episodes just didn't work. Not because they were "modern" but because they seemed impossibly modern. Seriously, even as a kid I knew talking room sized computers were hokey.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
              Check out my art:
              Art Portfolio@Redbubble
              Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

The change had to be budget related. Doing a period show cost way more than something set in the then current 70's. Costuming, cars, props, and digging up WW2 era planes tanks etc had to hurt.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• YoungOnce
                  Career Member
                  • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by johnnystorm
                  Forties version for me was the best. Something about a hero or heroine dressed up in the flag fighting against the Axis is just so...patriotic & cool. It's something sorely lacking in today's comic market, as if today's creators are embarrassed by the thought of America standing up for itself.
                  Haven't you noticed... it's not currently "politically correct" to be patriotic.

America is suffering from the worst identity crisis of it's existence.

Comment

• wilbs518
                    Mego Collector
                    • Jul 25, 2009

40's WW definitely.
                    sigpic

Comment

• jds1911a1
                      Alan Scott is the best GL
                      • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      40s version hands down. After the switch to the 70s, the show lost some of it's unique qualities and essentially became the Bionic Woman with a costume. At least to me, anyway.

Chris
                      I'm with Chris and I thought the plots were cleaner when she was figthing the nazi's

the satin corset is all I needed

Comment

• jds1911a1
                        • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by bobbait
                        i liked "Bobby Jo and the Outlaw" lynla carter the best
                        a fine clip of film of her in that tub

Comment

• jds1911a1
                          • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by jemboy2004
                          40s for sure. I think they just did a better overall job on the show then. The new version had some cool WW costumes and the WW costume was better but the 40s episodes were so much better.

The 40s Alien was Andros and the 70s alien was his son. The 70s alien show was just not as good, which is pretty much the difference from 40s and 70s WW episodes.
                          Andros was of course Dr Huer from Buck rogers

Comment

• jds1911a1
                            • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by david_b
                            I TOTALLY AGREE..!! I was mentioning this on the Marvel/DC movies thread. I wished they would have kept the FF movies back during the Cold War, a bit more retro and truer rendition of the classic FF..

WW's first year was indeed the best. I don't know why producers always think that pulling a superhero out of their time-period and making everything 'new and current' automatically means more glamour and higher ratings...??

It just takes a LOT of the style out of the presentation, and the backdrop of how we all loved the heroes back then.

david_b
                            I have to belive it was a cost saving choice. period pieces have much more busdget in sets design and costumes where has modern era makes it easier to costume extras with recycled studio props and wardrobe

Comment

• david_b
                              Never had enough toys..
                              • May 9, 2008

Originally posted by jds1911a1
                              I have to belive it was a cost saving choice. period pieces have much more busdget in sets design and costumes where has modern era makes it easier to costume extras with recycled studio props and wardrobe
                              Yes and no ~ I'd agree with you totally on the budget aspect that the studio always throws out.

However, if you look at that 'Astronaut Farmer' movie and other, less-blockbuster-type films, period pieces are done and their budgets are much smaller.

Granted, you can't do large-scale, hundreds of extras on streets very easily, but retro-looking shows like 'The Flash' carried it off to an extent. What I'm trying to say is that there are stylish ways to get around large budget concerns.

david_b
                              Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                                Removed.
                                • Jun 14, 2008

As someone mentioned earlier; the episodes that I have memory of were more the 40's ones rather than the contemporary ones but I did like both. I haven't seen the show since it was first-run so I have to go on that. The 40's ones seemed more memorable. Loved the theme song, though!!

Rich

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎