X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Favorite "Underated" Rogues Gallery

OK, they all can't be as memorable as Batman, Spider-Man or The Flash's Rogues but who are your favorite underdogs of the supervillain world?

I like Daredevil's 70s foes, before he got all grim and gritty and "Frank Miller" on ya: Mr. Hyde, Cobra, Purple Man, Jester, Gladiator, Stilt Man, Bullseye, Man-Bull, The Owl...

I also like Superman villains from the 70s, before all of the revamps:
    Luthor and Brainiac (natch), but also Bizarro, Metallo, Terra-Man, Galactic Golem, Parasite, NRG-X, Vartox (yes he turned "face"), Solomon Grundy...
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

Superman's rogues gallery deserves more credit----it's just the best

Any rogues gallery with LUTHOR, BIZARRO, MYXLPLTLK, PARASITE and TOYMAN
    is tops to me

DOOMSDAY is no slouch either
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Most of DC's second stringers have pretty good ones, too.

GL's got Sinestro, Star Saphire, Gold Face, The Shark, the Weaponers of Qward, Dr. Polaris
      Atom's got a few good ones, Chronos, The Thinker, Bug Eyed Bandit
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

Yeah GL's is pretty good too...add Hector Hammond and Black Hand to your list.
        Atom's I'm not as familiar with but add The Floronic Man (or was he just Jason Woodrue back then and became the Floronic Man as a GL foe?)

Comment

• jds1911a1
          Alan Scott is the best GL
          • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by The Toyroom
          OK, they all can't be as memorable as Batman, Spider-Man or The Flash's Rogues but who are your favorite underdogs of the supervillain world?

I like Daredevil's 70s foes, before he got all grim and gritty and "Frank Miller" on ya: Mr. Hyde, Cobra, Purple Man, Jester, Gladiator, Stilt Man, Bullseye, Man-Bull, The Owl...

I also like Superman villains from the 70s, before all of the revamps:
          Luthor and Brainiac (natch), but also Bizarro, Metallo, Terra-Man, Galactic Golem, Parasite, NRG-X, Vartox (yes he turned "face"), Solomon Grundy...
          GRUNDY was a foe of the golden age GL and JSA long before Superman fought him

and I love the vintage pre crisis JSA rogues gallery - Per Degaton, Vandal Savage, Brain wave, Wizard, Icicle, Sportsmaster & huntress

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

The mention of the JSA's rogues made me think of the early foes of the JLA in the Silver Age...although they're a little quirker by today's standards I think Dr. Light, Amazo, The Key, Starro, Despero, Kanjar Ro, Felix Faust et. al. are classic too.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

....And the Doom Patrol's rogue's are great, too. Animal Vegetable Mineral Man, Mr. 103, The Brotherhood of EVIL!! Garguax, and I'm sure Toyroom can name a few more.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

^ Well besides naming the Brotherhood members individually I only came up with General Immortus to add to the list.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                  The DarkSide Customizer
                  • Apr 16, 2005

DeadShot & Catman.... I need more,.. wish they had thier own book, staring just the 2.
                  ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Captain
                    Fighting the good fight!
                    • Jun 17, 2001

I always liked the Ultra-Humanite (monkey and pre-monkey versions). Vandal Savage is another cool character. I also really liked the Gentleman Ghost, although I can only recall having one issue with him in....did he ever make more than one appearance?
                    "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• The Toyroom
                      The Packaging King
                      • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Captain
                      I also really liked the Gentleman Ghost, although I can only recall having one issue with him in....did he ever make more than one appearance?
                      The Gentleman Ghost has been around since the 40s and was originally a Hawkman (Earth-2) foe. Later he was transplanted to Earth-1 in the 60s/70s and fought Batman a number of times. I know he appeared in the most recent Hawkman title as well as the last version of JSA (before the revamp).

I think he (or a character similar to him) was on the SuperFriends once but I haven't seen it in years.
                      Last edited by The Toyroom; Oct 6, '07, 7:09 AM.

Comment

• jds1911a1
                        Alan Scott is the best GL
                        • Aug 8, 2007

The Gentleman Ghost has been around since the 40s and was originally a Hawkman (Earth-2) foe. Later he was transplanted to Earth-1 in the 60s/70s and fought Batman a number of times. I know he appeared in the most recent Hawkman title as well as the last version of JSA (before the revamp).

I think he (or a character similar to him) was on the SuperFriends once but I haven't seen it in years.
                        you're right he had a differnt name but was the same character

Comment

• Captain
                          Fighting the good fight!
                          • Jun 17, 2001

Doh!

Thats right!...Thanks Toyroom, my memory is kicking in now (sucks gettin' old). In the issue I'm thinking of -(the Ghost was hiding in old Wayne Manor, or robbing it?), Batman did a brief rundown of the Ghosts history, and mentions the Hawkman angle too if I'm not too befuddled?

Thanks!
                          "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎