Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ready for a Black Peter Parker/Spiderman?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hector
    Not exactly Asian...but am I getting warmer?
    Wouldn't put it past Hollywood at this point.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• jp1969
      Banned
      • Dec 10, 2009

Why does hollywood feel the need to change things when adapting comic book heroes to the big screen?
      I hated when the joker died in Batman.You ca'nt kill the joker!
      I did not appreciate a black Kingpin.The Kingpin was an enormous white dude.
      Catwoman also was a white lady.
      S.Jackson as Nick Fury took the cake IMO.
      If P.P were to be cast as afro american?
      Now that would take the whole pastry outlet!
      Why does Hollywood feel the need to change a characters ethnicity?
      Are they getting pressure from some group?
      I dont get it.
      It seems almost pheasable to think that in 20 yrs,with this kind of reasoning,toby macguire's son would be casted in the role of M.Jackson in a biographical movie!
      I just dont get it.

Comment

• Brazoo
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 14, 2009

samurainoir and Random Axe raise some interesting points.

With all due respect, I believe the reason a lot of these characters were created as white is because at the time white was thought to make them neutral. They probably just figured it would make them appeal to the widest group of people. Maybe they never even considered ethnicity (or religion) because no one else had done that before in a superhero comic.

As readers demanded more complex characters making them all ethnically neutral became less believable and less interesting.

Take The Thing for example. Ben Grimm's childhood was modeled after Jack Kirby's, who grew up as a tough working class jew on the lower east side of Manhattan. Originally Ben Grimm's religion and ethnicity was never discussed even though it is obvious from his background story what they were implying. As time moved on, and probably as a memorial for Kirby, writers started highlighting The Thing's jewish background - brought his religion out in the open.

So did they change his ethnicity, or did they just add more believable context to the character? I think sometimes PC has nothing to do with it, I think sometimes it gives the writers more to work with if the characters have more culturally/ethnically/religious specific backgrounds.

Comment

• Brazoo
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by jp1969
          Why does hollywood feel the need to change things when adapting comic book heroes to the big screen?
          I hated when the joker died in Batman.You ca'nt kill the joker!
          I did not appreciate a black Kingpin.The Kingpin was an enormous white dude.
          Catwoman also was a white lady.
          If P.P were to be cast as afro american?
          Now that would take the whole pastry outlet!
          Why does Hollywood feel the need to change a characters ethnicity?
          Are they getting pressure from some group?
          I dont get it.
          It seems almost pheasable to think that in 20 yrs,with this kind of reasoning,toby macguire's son would be casted in the role of M.Jackson in a biographical movie!
          I just dont get it.
          Killing The Joker was stupid - I never liked that movie too much and I hated the ending.

Who would have been your first choice for Kingpin? I think they were just trying to diversify the cast a bit to appeal to a slightly wider audience. Duncan also had some star power, he can act, and he's physically large.

I think they cast Halle Berry as Catwoman because she's hotter than hell, she had just done 4 huge hit movies and it's nearly impossible to find a female lead who's big enough to sell an action movie.

I think Samuel L. Jackson was cast as Nick Fury because he had to show up for less than 2 minutes and be memorable - and Jackson is famous enough to do that.

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by jp1969

It wasn't Hollywood that first cast Sam Jackson as Nick Fury... it was comic books!

Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 5, '10, 7:30 AM.
            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

Lest we forget...

Created primarily for India's comic market.

And lest we forget, a quarter century before Toby Maguire, an Asian fella was cast as Spider-man.

Marvel even has it streaming for free at their website, go check it out!
              Spiderman (Takuya Yamashiro) video channel at Marvel.com

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Hector
                I'll see your Wonder Woman drag queen and raise you the cast of Big Bang Theory.

Comment

• Brazoo
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by samurainoir
                  It wasn't Hollywood that first cast Sam Jackson as Nick Fury... it was comic books!

http://dailypop.files.wordpress.com/..._nick_fury.jpg
                  Yeah - I heard of that before too - but I also think that casting him in the movie worked out really well for non-comic fans.

Comment

• garagesale
                    Dept. of Mego Studies
                    • Aug 8, 2006

I want one of my bretheren -- an American Redneck Southerner -- to play Spidey.

Or a midget.

JamesD

http://www.libarts.uco.edu/english/adjunct/dolph/

THANKS!

Comment

• vintage spideyfan
                      Web Wobbler
                      • May 12, 2007

Lest we forget...
                      And lest we forget, a quarter century before Toby Maguire, an Asian fella was cast as Spider-man.
                      Though not as Peter Parker - nerdy teen hero, but rather Takuya Yamashiro - motorcycle racer. The only similarity is Spider-Man's , or rather "Supaidaman's" costume.

I'm really not too excited about the reboot, so I really don't care who lands the role. I feel that two out the three films in the previous franchise were so well done, it will be tough to top or even compare any future endeavors. I feel it to be much to early for a reboot of the series, but why would Sony butcher a cash cow, right?

If anything they should launch the reboot as a remake of "Supaidaman", complete with giant robots...lol
                      Last edited by vintage spideyfan; Jun 5, '10, 9:01 AM.
                      Looking for MOC Pocket Super Heroes...
                      Good Trader List

Comment

• vintage spideyfan
                        Web Wobbler
                        • May 12, 2007

Originally posted by garagesale
                        I want one of my bretheren -- an American Redneck Southerner -- to play Spidey.

^^That's great...
                        Looking for MOC Pocket Super Heroes...
                        Good Trader List

Comment

• Joe90
                          Most Special Agent
                          • Feb 23, 2008

And speaking of Jews, if we are talking Jesus, let's remember, it is extremely unlikely that he was a white man, given the region and time period that he lived.
                          Well considering that the Hebrew people of the region were an ethnic mix of Semites (a group encompassing Jews and Arabs that is classified as caucasian) and Indo-Europeans (Greeks, Philistines, Samaritans, Iranians, Persians), Jesus would've looked much like any one of these guys on this Beirut soccer team.

Or one of these children from the same region... And this "Whiteness" is not due to recent European contact, the Kurds and Circassians have always had this look...

90, Joe 90.... Great Shakes : Milk Chocolate -- Shaken, not Stirred.

Comment

• jp1969
                            Banned
                            • Dec 10, 2009

http://dailypop.files.wordpress.com/..._nick_fury.jpg
                            I am really not into comic books anymore.
                            I dont understand them anymore.
                            I used to collect in the 80s.
                            I picked up a few xmen and FFs about 2 yrs ago and found I am totally out of the loop.
                            When did Nick Fury become afro-americain and how did this come about?
                            Boggles the mind!

Comment

• jp1969
                              Banned
                              • Dec 10, 2009

Originally posted by Brazoo

Who would have been your first choice for Kingpin? I think they were just trying to diversify the cast a bit to appeal to a slightly wider audience. Duncan also had some star power, he can act, and he's physically large.

I think they cast Halle Berry as Catwoman because she's hotter than hell.

I think Samuel L. Jackson was cast as Nick Fury because he had to show up for less than 2 minutes
                              Kingpin? I am sure they could have found a large white man to fit the role.Why change ethnicity?I am sure they could have found someone better suited for the role.
                              Same thing for Catwoman.Michelle pfeiffer is hotter than hell in latex imo.
                              Then S.Jackson.I apparently missed something about N Fury in Marvel comics but to me Nick is white and imo we are seeing way too much of Jackson.

Comment

• YANOULI
                                Part-Time Timelord
                                • Jan 9, 2006

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                                I love all the Pics of The White Jesus Dude.
                                That's right, everyone knows he's Hispanic
                                " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎