Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

For this interested, this was the WW image provided by the same fellow who posted the other 4...

plac2.jpg

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

There are several of these placemats currently up on ebay (as well as similar Disney and Looney Tunes placemats from '78 as well), but not one of the sellers has any info about which restaurants might have been the ones distributing these.

(The Disney ones look to have art on only one side with a red and white gingham pattern like that of tablecloths stereotypically used in Italian restaurants of the period, not sure on the Looney Tunes ones.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

The Superman art on the origin side looks to be Curt Swan. Of course the front is the Neal Adams art from Superman Who had MARX Best of the West ? "Kryptonite Nevermore". The Batman and Robin placemat is from the iconic 1966 poster/pin-up by Carmine Infantino and Murphy Anderson. Flash is from the 1976 Super DC Calendar by Adams and Dick Giordano. Aquaman is a piece by Giordano, but I don't recall where it's from. It may have originated here.

Wonder Woman is probably also by Giordano. Her proportions seem pretty thin here, though. She looks like the 12" Mego doll!
        sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

It's nice to see the others, thanks. I have poster-prints of Batman & Robin and Aquaman with the same art.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

What we would need to find out is, what restaurant back in the day had the rights to Disney, Looney Tunes and DC comics?
            Pizza Hut sounds like a good bet to me.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
              Career Member
              • Jun 8, 2015

You have the "Detective" in me intrigued! I am running some leads... patience.

Comment

• MRP
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Jorge Galvan
                You have the "Detective" in me intrigued! I am running some leads... patience.
                Awesome.

-M

Comment

• MRP
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by TrekStar
                  What we would need to find out is, what restaurant back in the day had the rights to Disney, Looney Tunes and DC comics?
                  Pizza Hut sounds like a good bet to me.
                  Yeah, it's a good guess, but right now everything I have turned up is circumstantial at best, nothing concrete or verifiable, so I'm still looking, and hoping my posts reach someone who might have something concrete.

-M

Comment

• MRP
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 19, 2016

I heard form someone who remembered getting the Looney Tunes placemats from '78 (with the same Pepsi Co trademark) from Burger Chef, but didn't remember if they had the DC or Disney stuff. He mentioned getting the Looney Tunes glasses from Burger Chef as well, but I distinctly remember getting those from Hardees in New England (we didn't have any Burger Chefs in CT that I was aware of.

-M

Comment

• MRP
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2016

I had someone contact me to say they got the Uncle Scrooge Disney mat at Pizza Hut in the late 70s, but still no hard info on the DC stuff.

-M

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                        Career Member
                        • Jun 8, 2015

Originally posted by MRP

Yeah, it's a good guess, but right now everything I have turned up is circumstantial at best, nothing concrete or verifiable, so I'm still looking, and hoping my posts reach someone who might have something concrete.

-M

AND...

you are BOTH RIGHT!!!

as I found out late last night...

"They were from Pizza Hut and you had to buy a pizza combo special back in the day to get one. They can be found on eBay from time-to-time. Don't pay more than $25 for each."

HAHAHHA, He would say that!!

Can't say who this person is, but trust me he knows his **** and he is a collector & an Author.

I hope that bit of news makes everyone happy and before you ask, NO, it's NOT BILLY GALAXY! He actually was my 2nd go to person, if ***** didn't come through!!

Cheers, everyone!!!

Comment

• MRP
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Jorge Galvan

AND...

you are BOTH RIGHT!!!

as I found out late last night...

"They were from Pizza Hut and you had to buy a pizza combo special back in the day to get one. They can be found on eBay from time-to-time. Don't pay more than $25 for each."

HAHAHHA, He would say that!!

Can't say who this person is, but trust me he knows his **** and he is a collector & an Author.

I hope that bit of news makes everyone happy and before you ask, NO, it's NOT BILLY GALAXY! He actually was my 2nd go to person, if ***** didn't come through!!

Cheers, everyone!!!
                          Thank you.

-M

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎