X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Shazam! Placemat c. 1978

So I saw this at my lcs on FCBD but was on the fence, but when I got home, I regretted not picking it up. When I went today to pick up my pulls, it was still there, so I grabbed it. It's copyrighted 1978 to DC Comics, has a Pepsi logo and Pepsi trademark notices on it. The cover is from one of the Treasury editions, but I a trying to figure out where it came form. My best guess is a fast food chain or restaurant rather than retail because of the Pepsi logo and info, but does anyone have any idea which chain it might have been or if not a restaurant, where it might have come from?

5gWWCDP.jpg

MbZGpEl.jpg
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Here are the copyright and trademark notices (I need a better pic of the copyright corner, but its copyright DC Comics 1978... VajtJGx.jpg 7LgRDcG.jpg
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Wow, that's awesome and gorgeous!
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by palitoy
        Wow, that's awesome and gorgeous!
        When I saw it on FCBD, I didn't realize it was a placemat, in fact I wasn't sure what it was and it was a bit too crowded and I was in a bit too much of a rush to give it a long look, but I after I got home, I was like, man I should have grabbed that. I was a bit surprised it was still there today, but I grabbed it. I talked to the owner, and he said it was part of a collection he recently bought, and was sure it was from some kind of restaurant or fast food chain, but had no idea which one and hadn't been able to turn up much when he was researching pricing on it. I found a listing for one on ebay (for the same price I paid so I assume it's where he got his info) but it said nothing about what the source for these were. Nothing else comes up in any searches I have done, and no responses yet from any of the social media platforms I posted on or any of the comic forums, so I am still at a loss as to which places might have had these in the 70s.

-M

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

One of my acquaintances from a classic comics forum had no luck with which restaurant, but did find that Pepsi had also done promotional placemats featuring Batman & Robin, Superman, Flash, Aquaman and Wonder Woman in '78 as well, and they were part of the same promotion (though not necessarily the same restaurants) as the DC glassware promotional items from around that same time. Those I see quite frequently; this was my first sighting of the placemats.

-M

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

I've received one "educated guess" that Pizza Hut would be a strong contender since they were owned by Pepsi-Co circa '78 and already had a license deal in place with Dc having produced a series of promo reprint comics of DC issues in '77. Hoping I can get a confirmation or rebuttal of that from one of the places I've asked the question.

-M

Comment

• pmwasson
              Maker
              • Sep 12, 2007

That is amazing!
              sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I have never seen these in person, so thanks for the up close detail! I'm guessing the art on the origin is by Kurt Schaffenberger. The front artwork is by C.C. Beck himself!
                sigpic

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

That is very cool, definitely wish I had that in my collection.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I wish I could be happier for you, but I'm so damn envious...

Congrats, though--it's lovely.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

The thought of an Aquaman placemat somewhere is giving me fits.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2016

Here's a pic of some of the other placemats my acquaintance posted when he suggested Pizza Hut as the likely source...

plac3.jpg

there's a Wonder Woman one as well.

-M
                        Last edited by MRP; May 10, '24, 9:39 PM.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                          Career Member
                          • Jun 8, 2015

My guess besides Pizza Hut would be Denny's? Shakey's pizza? I can't see McDonald's or Burger King doing something like that

I m thinking "California" for some reason. Maybe Jack in the Box?

Comment

• MRP
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Jorge Galvan
                            My guess besides Pizza Hut would be Denny's? Shakey's pizza? I can't see McDonald's or Burger King doing something like that

I m thinking "California" for some reason. Maybe Jack in the Box?
                            Thanks. Any insight helps. I'll update if/when I get any concrete info. I've gotten educated guesses, but no corroborative facts.

-M

Comment

• MRP
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 19, 2016

The only other image I have been able to track down is the comic side of the Superman mat...

Superman origin side.jpg

but no further info on which restaurant was doing this promotion.

-M

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎