Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Comics Pro Summit announcements-Gatchman, Flash Gordon, Uncle Scrooge & more

Mad Cave Studios is doing new Gatchman and Flash Gordon comics, with debt previews for each coming on FCBD.

Both will be the start of lines featuring those characters that will include an ongoing title, trade collections and mini series featuring different characters.

Dynamite will be launching several books based on Hanna Barbera properties, including Space Ghost and Jonny Quest. There's a JQ FCBD issue planned as well.

Marvel will finally be publishing Disney comics, starting with an Uncle Scrooge one-shot called Uncle Scrooge and the Infinity Dime that will have an Alex Ross variant cover.

Marvel will also be using its Marvel Must Haves brand to release several 80 page giveaway collections at comic shops, the first will feature issues of Spider-Man/Deadpool, Thor and Ms. Marvel. I'm not sure how giving these away at comic shops, where only comic readers go, will help draw new readers, but I at least applaud the effort. I think libraries and movie theatres and brick and mortar book stores would be a better target for these giveaways if the hope is to bring in new readers to Marvel characters.

DC is launching a new reprint collection line called DC Finest. Superman, Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman and Catwoman collections are in the first wave. They will feature material form different eras (WW is the Gail Simone run, Superman Action 1-25 and Superman 1-5, Batman Year One and Year Two, etc.). Sort of a DC equivalent to the Marvel Epic collections. Looks like each will retail for about $34.99 which is a better deal than the Epics.

Of course there were also announcements of cross-over events for Marvel and DC too, which is normally a yawn for me, but DC's Absolute Power is by Mark Waid and Dan Mora, the team behind World's Finest, so it has potential, even if the plot (Amanda Waller stealing all heroes and villains powers) that isn't a draw for me normally.

I'm sure there other announcements I missed, so if you saw something, add it here.
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Here's a look at the Gatchaman stuff...
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Here's some of the Flash Gordon stuff, including a collection of the old Marvel/Star Defenders of the Earth series.

-M
      This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

Here's the reg and variant cover for the Uncle Scrooge one-shot

-M
        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

Here's the reg cover and the Michael Cho variant for the upcoming Space Ghost series form Dynamite which releases in May.

-M
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

I know new projects featuring classic characters can sometimes be dodgy (I'm a little worried about Jason Aaron on Uncle Scrooge to be honest), but I've interacted with the writers of both Space Ghost and Flash Gordon and asked them questions about concerns I had based on press releases and both seem to have a solid knowledge of the characters, and a genuine passion for them. Their enthusiasm for these projects is very real, so I am willing to check them out to see for myself before I jump to conclusions and start naysaying them.

I am also very glad to see that Mad Cave will be doing A Flash Gordon Adventures via PaperCutz! aimed at school age readers as the Tempo paperbacks in the 70s gotten through Scholastic Book fairs were my introduction to Flash Gordon and what made me a fan. I'm hoping a new generation of kids discover Flash and become fans giving this 90 year old character new life long after we older fans have left this world.

-M

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎