X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jmass
    Museum Patron
    • Jan 19, 2006

Doctor Fate & Golden Age Costumes

After getting a glimpse of the new Mego Doctor Fate factory sample it occurred to me that many of the Golden Age heroes had some pretty cool costumes. Of course, there were a few awful costumes as well. Does anyone have a favorite/most iconic Golden Age costume? Which Golden Ager wore the worst costume? It's hard for me to pick a best costume. My biggest clunker though would be Mister Terrific. From the huge yellow sign on his front that says "Fair Play" to the wool socks and mountain climbing boots he is truly dressed for failure from head to toe. Your thoughts/choices?
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Well, of course Batman falls into that category, and I think it's pretty obvious that he has one of the best costumes in comics, along with Spider-Man. Batman's costume has such strong visual elements that he's instantly recognizable just by his silhouette. We can all thank Bill Finger for suggesting Bob Kane redesign his domino mask-wearing original version.

Hawkman is another great design, once Sheldon Moldoff modified the original Dennis Neville helmet to sit properly on Carter Hall's head. Joe Kubert further enhanced the design later in the decade, and he still has that basic look today.

As much as I love Alan Scott, his Green Lantern costume SHOULDN'T work, but somehow it does!
    sigpic

Comment

• Dannyc
      • Feb 6, 2023

As far as for a superman archetype, imo, it doesn't get any better than Captain Marvel's costume. I also really like golden age Daredevil's costume.

Comment

• Jmass
        Museum Patron
        • Jan 19, 2006

I was torn between Superman, Batman, and Captain America when it came to most iconic costume. Chris - your comment about seeing just Batman's silhouette was spot on. Gotta agree about Batman. I had forgotten about Hawkman, Golden Age Green Lantern, and Captain Marvel. All are great choices. Daredevil's costume is pretty unique. The spiked belt is curious. Were the spikes detachable to use as weapons? Also wonder if whoever created the 3-D man was channeling Gleason's Daredevil?

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

I agree it’s definitely Batman, but Captain Marvel for me is second best.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
            Career Member
            • Jun 8, 2015

Sorry, I LOVE MR. TERRIFIC and his outfit, for some reason, the Colour Coordination of all the JSA members ( & ALL STAR SQUADRON) seemed to have had a dopamine effect on me growing up. When you have Johnny Thunder and T-Bolt together it looks insane!!! Johnny in his Plaid Green suit! Then when they are paired with Terrific, Either Red Tornado, Jay, Starman you have this Spectrum of colours and its such a pleasant sight!!

For Timely; the DESTROYER, BLUE DIAMOND, the WHIZZER & MISS AMERICA, the VISION, the ANGEL, the Torches are the same deal. Just a visual paradise!!

Quality: Plastic Man, the Freedom Fighters, Doll-Girl, again ditto!

It truly was a Golden Age!

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I agree about Alan Scott, busy but it does work for me. Admittedly, I like Mr. Terrific, though I think his motto might be better as a badge. I like Starman's costume, too.

I love Capt. Marvel's costume, particularly when it's tweaked to look more military.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Jmass
                Museum Patron
                • Jan 19, 2006

Jorge - No reason to be sorry, I love your take on Mr. Terrific and the Justice Society! I just feel like if I was a bank robber back in the day on Earth 2 and I saw Mr. Terrific charging at me as I was coming out of the bank that I might take one look at the big Fair Play sign and the wool socks and decide that I could take this guy without my tommy gun. That's the beauty of opinions though. Truth be told I have a custom Mego Mr. Teriffic sans wool socks and hiking boots. I also love your Timely choices and through the years with the help of people far more talented than me created customs of the Destroyer, Blue Diamond, Whizzer, Vision, and Torch. Sounds to me that with one exception we agree on a lot.

Comment

• Mejo
                  Museum Patron
                  • Jun 30, 2022

Nothing else comes close to the perfection that is Captain Marvel's costume for me. Colors that actually go together (red, gold, and white), that amazing lightning bolt insignia, a cape that isn't of a ridiculous length ... no underwear briefs over pants. Seriously, it's the best. Dr. Fate's (full) mask is pretty cool though. Best Silver Age costume is Spider-Man's.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎