X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

Amanda Waller

I have never been able to really pigeonhole Amanda Waller. Is she a hero or a villain? An antihero? Plot armored agent of Chaos? I always wondered if her triple multiple minority status (female, black,overweight) was an attempt to isolate her from any sort of fandom. Does she have fans? Is it a type of racism or sexism that such an unlikable character is black and female or am I being racist or sexist because I don’t like her? Is there another character like her in pop culture?
    Last edited by Megotastrophe; Feb 8, '24, 12:59 AM.
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

You are being racist or sexist because you don’t like her... KIDDING! I think she is a wasted character that no one seems to know what to do with. We need a villian-ish type character for this story? Let's use Amanda Waller! Sometimes she plays the Tony Stark Civil War character. The Big 2 seem to do things like this to characters that they cannot place, like Maxwell Kord. But with Amanda's Suicide Squad connections, I think she has a higher profile of Insert-Here Character for DC Comics.

It's too bad because she has potential as a great character if used properly. Look no further than the Timm JLU series.

Comment

• monitor_ep
      Talkative Member
      • May 11, 2013

With her upcoming Max series, they may have figured her out.

Amanda Walker is your typical Government villain. When you need a job to get done off books they contact Walker. She has the knowledge of the DC Universe that Batman boxes but she is not afraid to use it to get what she needs done. This is why she runs the Suicide Squad as her personal army. She doesn't care if the return so long as they get the job done
      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I think Waller confuses comic fans because the whole "Suicide Squad" concept borrows heavily from Pulp Adventure novels of the 60s and 70s like "The Executioner" (where the Punisher came from too) "The Destroyer" and "Able Company"

The ruthless boss you don't like and who could kill you at any moment is a trope like the yelling Police Captain in a TV show. Much of the time, the protagonists themselves are in some sort of indentured state to the Waller character.

Numerous adaptations have often gotten her wrong, the first Suicide Squad movie in particular. We saw too much of her fangs in that one to make the character appealing.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Waller was wonderfully used in Justice League Unlimited. She was a bit softer than some interpreations, and therefore more palatable. Or she seemed that way, but then it was revealed she was willing to murder two innocent people in front of a child to make a "new" Batman! So she was really just as ruthless as any version. CCH Pounder was fantastic in the role.
          sigpic

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
            Career Member
            • Jun 8, 2015

Maybe she is a MANHUNTER?

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
              Career Member
              • Jun 8, 2015

Or you can ask John Ostrander or if he were still here; Len Wein. But I myself only remember her coming on the scene during that while "LEGENDS" mini after Crisis was over and she was here to stay. If i remember some of here back story, didn't some of here family get killed and she blamed ALL Super Powered individuals; hence her running the suicide squad and not giving a **** if someone got blown to bits!!! Villain? Hero? Fanatic? Sadly in history there will always be someone who will mentally justify the killing/raping/bullying/manipulation/of innocent individuals, in real life and in fiction. I think you the reader need to decide on your own to rule on who exactly Amanda Waller truly is.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎