3. Where the Body Was OGN (Image)
    4. Batman & Scooby Doo Mysteries (DC)
    5. Batman/Superman World's Finest (DC)
    6. Black Cloak (Image)
    7. Parker Girls (Abstract)
    8. Miles Davis & The Search for the Sound OGN
    9. The Hunger & the Dusk (Image)
    10. The Shadows of Thule (Humanoids)
    11. Bone More Tall Tales (Cartoon Books)
    12. Birds of Prey (DC)
    13. Night Fever OGN (Image)
    14. Groo: In the Wild (DarkHorse)
    15. Count Dante: The Unauthorized [But Sort of True]Story of the Deadliest Man Who Ever Lived (Scout Comics)​
    16. Red Sonja (Grobekk/Geovani) (Dynamite)
    17. Dr. Strange (Marvel)
    18. Titans (DC)
    19. Newburn (Image)
    20. World's Finest Teen Titan​ (DC)

Not the objective best, just the 20 I enjoyed the most for the year.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • powersthatbe
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 27, 2010

World's Finest has been great. I am surprised not to see Nightwing on your list. And Batman imo has been really good for the past few years.

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by powersthatbe
      World's Finest has been great. I am surprised not to see Nightwing on your list. And Batman imo has been really good for the past few years.
      Nightwing is not currently on my Pull list. I've disliked more of Tom Taylor's stuff than I've liked, so I passed when he came on the book. That said, I've since read the first 2 trades of his run via hoopla and they were among the better stuff oh his that I've read. But I am way behind on it, so it's not on my list of stuff from 2023.

Batman is something similar. Newburn is literally the only thing I've read by Zdarsky that I've liked. I dropped everything else of his within 2 issues, so I didn't jump on Batman when he came on board. Along with Nightwing, I am also just starting to read some of the other Rebirth era Batstuff as I was lukewarm on King's early Batman issues and dropped it, but I'm giving it another chance. I'll get to the Tynion, Williamson and Zdarsky stuff at some point I think, unless I flame out reading it.

Modern super-hero stuff really has to impress me for me to keep up with it, and I've come to avoid/drop anything that requires me to buy issues form another title to get the whole story. I was really digging Titans and Shazam but almost dropped them when they were interrupted by the Knight Terrors event and skipped the cross-over issues and came back when the regular story resumed. And I rarely buy modern Marvel, as my wife gets me a sub to Marvel Unlimited every year on my birthday, so I sample things here and there but am a few months behind minimum on most titles. Doc Strange and Scarlet Witch were the only Marvel books on my pull and Witch got cancelled for a Quicksilver & scarlet Witch title instead.

Most of my interest and money these days goes to self-contained creator-owned titles and OGN. I still dabble in a handful of super-hero books but it's usually more driven by liking the creators than the characters these days. I don't need more deadline driven mediocre super-hero comics to read, I have nearly a century's worth of such comics already to choose from, but if creators are doing something that stands out, I will check it out.

I'm a firm believer in Sturgeon's Law when it comes to comics, and I don't have time or money to support stuff I feel falls in the 90% that is dreck, but I'm always looking for what I think is the 10% that stand out no matter what genre or publisher. But tastes will vary, and my 10% will fall in others dreck pile and vice versa. I very much live by and encourage others to live by the credo read what you love and love what you read, but let others do so as well. Not everything out there is for me, and that's a good thing. There should be comics for everyone, but not each comic needs to be for everyone.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

My favorites are World's Finest and World's Finest: Teen Titans. I really hope they let Waid expand with at least another mini-series. A World's Finest: Batman and Robin title would be ideal.
        sigpic

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
          Career Member
          • Jun 8, 2015

20!?!?!?!

I can try and in no special order

Avengers

Avengers INC.

Avengers Beyond

Avengers: War across time

Geiger

Junkyard Joe

Timeless

Fantastic Four

Justice Society

Namor: the Sub Mariner

Star Trek

Star Trek: Defiant

Star Trek Deep Space Nine

Plan 59 from Outer SPace

Star Girl: the Lost Children

Monica Rambeau: Photon

Biggest Disappointment of the year/ a Lifetime!

MIracleman. I can't believe I WAITED DECADES for this lame POS. All the infighting, the San Diego Comic con Debate between Peter David V. Todd McFarlane; the Trial in Wisconsin, the Two Morrows History Trade; the Marvel Man reprints, the waiting and waiting. ***!!!!!! Unless the "Dark Ages" is MM # 15 Part Two, then there will be hell to pay!!!!

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
            Career Member
            • Jun 8, 2015

OPPS and I forgot

She Hulk

Tom Holland's FRIGHT NIGHT

Silver Surfer: Ghost Light

Silver Surfer: Rebirth

Comment

Working...
            😀