• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

Any Manga fans?

If so, whatcha readin'?

I stay current with a few titles, My Hero Academia, Sakamoto Days, Dandadan, Go! Go! Loser Ranger! And a few others.

But I REALLY want more Showa era manga. The hardcover Fist of the North Star collection hit its peak, but I want the entire series. And I'm actually collecting the Sailor Moon volumes. I'd especially like to get Kinnikuman and City Hunter.
    Last edited by B-Lister; Nov 30, '23, 1:20 AM.
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures
  • Dannyc
    • Feb 6, 2023

Not really. But I do frequently bust out my record of the lodoss war lady of pharis books to marvel at the artwork.
    Been meaning to pick up a couple of other things from that time period as well.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
      Career Member
      • Jan 19, 2019

Its pretty much the only thing I read these days...

Lets see,

Please Don't Bully Me, Nagatoro

Uzaki chan Wants to Hang Out

My Senpai is Annoying

Way of the House Husband

Man and His Cat

Heavenly Delusion...

Lots....LOL
      Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

I've read a handful, mostly standard classics like Lone Wolf & Cub, Akira, etc. I've also read some of The Vinland Saga and really enjoyed it. The hoopla service through my public library has recently added a lot of manga to their offerings and I am hoping to explore a bit more after I reread Lone Wolf. Samurai Executioner is probably top of the list to read.

I wouldn't classify myself as a manga fan; I'm a fan of the medium of comics, and manga falls under that umbrella. I enjoy some manga based on how well I like the story and art, regardless of style or country of origin.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
          Career Member
          • Jun 8, 2015

Sadly I never got the Mange bug, ABout 7. 8 years ago at Harold Washington Community college, I tried to learn Japanese and I had to drop the class after four days.

I only got as far as KA KI KU KE KO. We had to do that and MA MI MU ME MO and memorize the CHARACTER for each one. It was too much for my last living brain cell.

With that being said for the first time in since 2009(?) I went yesterday Saturday the 2nd to YEOHAN in Arlington Heights (IL). Ok,ok I know it is really called MITSUWA Marketplace

We offer wide varieties of fresh, safe and reliable Japanese grocery products along with appliances and cosmetics! At our food court, you can enjoy sushi, sashimi, and bento with genuine Japanese rice. We also host exciting events on weekends for your entertainment.

BUT back in the 90's it was YEOHAN and for sentimental reason it will always be. Well it has changed...

the food court is still there and ALWAYS PACKED. the grocery store has now incorporated the Liquor department and Sushi stand. I bought some HIGH GRADE Wasabi!!! Had to pry my wallet open for that one!! HAHAHA!

Then I went to the book store and man talk about ANIME Central, at least half the store was Anime including toys and most of the toys were a bit 'R' if not 'X' rated! You had lots of kids mucking about and here I was looking for Uchusen or Young Guitar or BURRN and yes! They had YG & Burrn. but... if I wanted the latest issue of Burrn I would have to cough up at least $35-37 Bucks. If I went to CD JAPAN I would pay...

Shinko Music Entertainment,BURRN!!,BOOK listed at CDJapan! Get it delivered safely by SAL, EMS, FedEx and save with CDJapan Rewards!

$6.19 before tax and Shipping. And I would be obliged to buy more due to the shipping!!

But I understand Books Kinokuniya (the book store) HAVE to CHARGE that much to stay in business due to the import and shipping and YES, I HAVE paid that much in the past because this was before the Internet and websites. SO I didn't want to pay that much (Just for A cover story on ANGRA! Sorry Angra Fans!!!) So I went home after my trip and promised myself to go back sooner than 10 years!!! And on a weekday!!!

But back to the Anime thread... I was never sure if you read front to back or back to front and the artwork was not as enlightening as a Perez, Swan or Weston or Buscema or a Reed Crandell! So that is my loss I guess. But there is such a HUGE demand for it.

Comment

• B-Lister
            Eccentric Weirdo
            • Mar 19, 2010

Jorge, learning Hiragana and Katakana is easy!

i learned both in under a month.

tofugu.com has an amazing mnemonic teaching method that made it SO easy to learn!
            Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎