Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnnystorm
    Hot Child in the City
    • Jul 3, 2008

Well, here's some bad news on the Doc Savage front, considering what we've been expecting or anticipating. From Comic Book Resources coverage of the Philly WizardWorld Dc panel:

"Didio then revealed that DC would bring back the classic pulp hero Doc Savage via a monthly series to be written by Brian Azarello ("100 Bullets") and drawn by Rags Morales. Morales said that the series will bring Savage into the DCU, though it will take place in an alternate universe where he will work and interact alongside such classic characters as Blackhawk and Will Eisner's The Spirit. The world Savage lives in will also be a blend of our modern era and the classic ‘30s pulp era he comes from ("cell phones and tommy guns" as DiDio put it). No news was given about a release date yet. "

Ok, so he's in the DCU, but not really in the DCU? It will be set in an era kinda like the 30s but a lot like today? I predict the usual Didio crapola. Sorry, Doc. Not lookin' promising now. I had high hopes, but looks like your only gettin' a year before this series tanks and it's back into limbo.

Why can't you just do things right, Danny-Boy? Always gotta be screwin' around with the wrong things! Did you not learn from the Spirit update and the previous attempt at updating Doc & crew? Whatagyp!

And has anyone noticed that Doc's Amazing Five have not been brought up in any of this talk yet? Granted,there's been very little info released, but why do I have this fear we are going to be treated to a diversified new collection of members for Doc's crew?

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

....sigh.....
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

So from the cell phones and tommy guns crack we can assume its happening on the current Spirit's Earth?
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

^ Ya know I liked the novelty of the new Spirit book at first when Darwyn Cooke was on it but it really hasn't worked as well since he left. So I really don't have high hopes about "cell phones and tommy guns" being handled well on this new title.
          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

^^ Dick Tracy had a wrist radio, so the cell phone existing then is not so far fetched in comics land.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ctc
              Fear the monkeybat!
              • Aug 16, 2001

>It will be set in an era kinda like the 30s but a lot like today?

Funny thing; that's what Marvel did with Doc back int he 70's, and people insited he be put back in the 30's proper. Those who forget he past are doomed to keep cheesing me off....

Don C.

Comment

• johnnystorm
                Hot Child in the City
                • Jul 3, 2008

Here's a bit more on this from artist Rags Morales :

Newsarama.com : Catching the First Wave: Rags Morales on His Upcoming Gig

I'm liking what I'm hearing here a bit more...riffing on that vague old/new era like in Batman Adventures sounds better than what they were saying. It works in the current Brave & bold cartoon, and remember the 80s Flash series where they had computers etc, but then some of the cars would be 1950s era.

The takes on the characters sound good too... even Rima.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎