Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LATE NIGHT FRIDAY 1970s COMIC BOOK TRIVIA CONTEST - WEEK #4!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnnystorm
    Hot Child in the City
    • Jul 3, 2008

LATE NIGHT FRIDAY 1970s COMIC BOOK TRIVIA CONTEST - WEEK #4!!

Greetings everyone, thank you for coming back for another round of Bronze Age comic book lovin'!

Tonight, let's give it up for our special musical guest, the Black Superman himself, The Greatest...ladies & gentlemen, Mr. Muhammad Ali!!!

YouTube - Muhammad Ali - Who Knocked The Crack In The Liberty Bell?

Wow, that was different, huh? Gotta be on the lookout for that LP, especially since it features Ali's special guest announcer Howard Cosell- remember when Cosell had his own variety TV series on ABC? It put Carol Burnett to shame...not!

We'll get back to Ali a bit further down the post, but now, it's on to the game!

For any newcomers, here's da rulz:

I'll post five (5) questions about the 1970s ERA COMIC BOOK related adventures of various MEGO figures.

First person to answer all of them correctly will get a little prize package of a random '70s comic, a couple random Mego cards, and some assorted 1970s oddball goodies. Now don't get too excited...you're not gonna get anything worth a million bucks. Actually, the junk I plan to unload on the "winner"...excuse me, I mean, the fine collectible items I plan to offer as prizes will entertain you (I hope), and we'll all have a good time.

And just maybe, if you're not too careful, you just might learn something. Or not.

As far as the answers, please try to keep them all together in one post so we don't have to jump around collecting them all, and since I don't have any anti-Googling software in place I can't stop you there.
    Oh, and please remember that all answers are subject to the final decision of the judge, which be me, so no arguing, it's all for fun, so let's not get crazy!

So without further ado, in the words of the Immortal Navin Johnson, "Step right up and win some crap!"

MEGO STAR QUESTION #1- LOGAN'S RUN:

I loved the film Logan's Run when it came out. I would have bought all those planned Megos because I loved the TV show as well, except I could never understand why they didn't trim that android REM's eyebrows. I mean, who creates a perfect replica of a human being then gives them bushy eyebrows?Was that on the blueprints? I digress....Anyway, Marvel adapted the film into a comic book series with great art by this newcomer they had named George Perez. In the later issues they "went beyond the film", intending to explore Logan's World, but the book was cancelled in mid-storyline after a brief run .

My question is: DURING THE MARVEL RUN, WHICH MARVEL UNIVERSE CHARACTER APPEARED (ALBEIT NOT IN THE LOGAN STORY), CREATING A MILD PRICE JUMP FOR THAT SPECIFIC ISSUE?

MEGO STAR QUESTION #2- DOCTOR WHO:

Doctor Who hit it big here in the US during the early '80s, when many PBS stations starting airing the Tom Baker episodes on Saturday nights. Marvel had been publishing a regular magazine/comic in the UK for a number of years prior, and the popularity of the show led them to reprint those '70s comics here in the USA.

My question is: THE ARTIST ON THOSE EARLY TOM BAKER STRIPS IN DOCTOR WHO MONTHLY LATER CAME STATESIDE AND HELPED CREATE A MEGA-POPULAR COMIC BOOK SERIES- WHO WAS HE AND WHAT WAS THE SERIES?

MEGO STAR QUESTION #3- SPACE:1999:

You know, when you think about Charlton Comics, it's amazing to me just how many licensed mega-properties they had. In today's market a small company like IDW or Moonstone or Devil's Due scrambles to land a property then builds a company around it. But think about Charlton, publishers of the most shoddy comics ever. At one time in the '70s they had all of the major cartoon characters including Popeye, Blondie, Flash Gordon, Beetle Bailey, the Hanna-Barbera line, Phantom...not to mention TV series like Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, Emergency, Hee-Haw, and Space:1999. It's amazing that they printed this stuff with the worst methods possible, in off-cut books with muddy coloring, juvenile stories, those atrocious story pages instead of lettercolumns. Ah, the wonders of licensing- in today's world they would never have had a shot at even one of those lines!

My question is: JOHN BYRNE, PRIOR TO BECOMING THE SUPERSTAR ARTIST ON MARVEL'S X-MEN, WAS THE REGULAR ARTIST ON SPACE:1999. WHAT CHARLTON CHARACTER WAS HIS FIRST PUBLISHED WORK DONE ON?

MEGO STAR QUESTION #4- MUHAMMAD ALI:

Told you we'd get back to Ali. Of course, Muhammad Ali vs, Superman was one of the biggest comic book releases of all-time, and not just because it was a tabloid sized comic book! At that period in time Ali was huge, bigger than life! If you ever come across a copy of the book in your travels cheap, grab it because this mag still pulls in upwards of $50.00 a copy on Ebay, even as high as $100! Why? Because it will never, ever be reprinted, because of the Neal Adams cover art, which features the likeness of tons of 1970S era celebrities watching the fight, including Mick Jagger, Jimmy Carter, Sonny & Cher, Johnny Carson, and many more. A licensing nightmare for today's lawyers to acquire permission to use again!

My question is: NEAL ADAMS WAS NOT THE FIRST CHOICE FOR COVER ARTIST ON THE BOOK, AND THE ORIGINAL PLAN DID NOT INCLUDE THE CELEBRITIES,...ALI'S PEOPLE BALKED ON THE ARTIST SO ADAMS GOT THE NOD. WHO WAS TO BE THE ORIGINAL COVER ARTIST?

MEGO STAR QUESTION #5- THE WIZARD OF OZ:

Did you know that "The MGM's Marvelous Wizard of Oz" tabloid comic was the first time DC & Marvel ever teamed up on a comic book? It was a very well-done adaption of the classic Judy Garland film. The collaboration went so well, that it paved the way for the Superman/Spider-Man book a year or so down the road. Surprisingly. Marvel did a follow-up book solo based on the original books by L. Frank Baum, but the Wizard Of Oz has never hit big in comic books, although more than a few have tried, mostly with gothic updates and more adult themes.

My question is: WHY DID DC & MARVEL TEAM-UP ON PRODUCING THE BOOK?

Ok, so there you have it. On the count of three, you may begin!
    1...2...3...GO!!!
    Last edited by johnnystorm; Jan 30, '09, 11:04 PM.
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

1. Thanos appeared in the back-up in "Logan's Run" #6
    2. Dave Gibbons, "Watchmen"
    3. Byrne's first work for Charlton was the "Rog-2000" back-up in "E-Man" #6
    4. Joe Kubert
    5. Both companies had planned on their own adaptations. DC's publisher Carmine Infantino and Marvel's publisher Stan Lee decided on a joint venture to keep costs down. The majority of the work was handled by Marvel Comics.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• StrangeVisitor
      Career Member
      • May 13, 2007

1) Thanos (#6)
      2) Paul Neary, Excalibur
      3) Rog 2000
      4) Joe Kubert
      5) They both had been working on OZ projects & decided it'd be easier to team-up (ie legal reasons)

Comment

• vulcan2074
        Live Long and Prosper
        • Mar 23, 2008

This is what I got so far
        2.Dave Gibbons Watchmen
        4.Joe Kubert
        5. Easier to team up

Sammy

Comment

• StrangeVisitor
          Career Member
          • May 13, 2007

TOYROOM BEAT ME BY ONE MINUTE!

(Ok, I got one wrong, but still...)

Comment

• vulcan2074
            Live Long and Prosper
            • Mar 23, 2008

You guys Killed Me LOL
            Sammy

Comment

• StrangeVisitor
              Career Member
              • May 13, 2007

Originally posted by vulcan2074
              You guys Killed Me LOL
              Sammy

Hey Sammy, maybe if we team-up we can take Anthony!

Comment

• vulcan2074
                Live Long and Prosper
                • Mar 23, 2008

I Think thats Only way we can Win LOL
                Sammy

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

I thought Byrne did Speed Buggy or Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch first.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
                    The Packaging King
                    • Dec 31, 2004

^ E-Man #6 (Jan. 75) came before Speed Buggy #1 (July 75) and Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch #1 (July 75).
                    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• johnnystorm
                      Hot Child in the City
                      • Jul 3, 2008

Guys, guys, guys...we have a Winner!

Toyroom, pm me your info and I'll send your prize out!

#1- THANOS did indeed appear in Logan's Run #6 in his very first solo adventure.

#2-Dave Gibbons went to DC, did Green Lantern for awhile then teamed with Alan Moore on the Watchmen. Wonder if that book will ever amount to anything?

#3-ROG2000 was Byrne's first work at Charlton (Wheelie was his first regular series).

#4-Joe Kubert was scheduled to draw the Ali-Superman book, but Ali's group felt he didn't draw Ali correctly, so DC went with Neal Adams.

#5-Both DC & Marvel had an Oz book in the works . Marvel had bought the book rights, but DC owned the likeness from the movie. So they teamed up on the book because it was easier than trying to sort out who owned what, both knowing the movie adaption was the key and Marvel knew their version couldn't compete...plus they had plans to make it an ongoing series which DC's version would have killed. Marvel did do a second OZ book based solely on the stories with no movie stuff involved -THE LAND OF OZ Treasury- but it didn't do very well, so I guess they were right to go with the collaboration.

Congrats, Toyroom!

Comment

• johnnystorm
                        Hot Child in the City
                        • Jul 3, 2008

Also, I'd like to thank everyone who played the four weeks of the contest. Obviously I get nothing out of doing it, but it is a lot of fun for me.

I've decided that this will be the last week of 1970S Comic Book Trivia.

But only because I've decided to move it into the general forum and expand it to Late Night 1970s Trivia. I'd like to get more people involved, and expand the question base a bit to include TV & Movie stuff, all still wrapped in the caveat that the questions will revolve around a selected Mego character (of course, as you've seen, that only applies tangentially- the questions do seem to range far off topic!). There are a lot of great Mego characters etc. who never appeared in comic books in any way, such as Starsky & Hutch, so I'd like to get into those areas as well.

So thanks again, and come back next Friday in the General Buzz forum for Late Night 1970S Trivia!

Comment

• Monsterama2000
                          Creepy and Kooky!
                          • Mar 27, 2008

I just got my prize pack from last week. Great stuff. Thank you very much.

I love the 70s!
                          Erick
                          sigpic
                          Wonderful Wonderblog

Comment

• johnnystorm
                            Hot Child in the City
                            • Jul 3, 2008

Again, glad you liked it!

Oh, and I've neglected to mention how much I like your Avatar... Go Steelers!

My 7 yr old daughter has covered the house in Go Big Ben! signs she's drawn...he's her favorite player and she IS going to marry him. She already has her Terrible Towel ready and an order in for nachos with extra cheese during Half-Time!

Here we go!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎