Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnnystorm
    Hot Child in the City
    • Jul 3, 2008

I do like this over the top Aquaman, much better than I ever liked his bad tempered hook version. The beefed up water powers are nice, and the personality certainly makes him stand out from previous versions- I guess that compensates for him always being a more background type character in team books. They've certainly just showed it's possible to find a way to use him in a non-water situation. I don't think he's a braggart, just one of those guys that's the loudest in the room.

Elongated Man came off stuffy to me, he should have been more of an average joe, but I guess they wanted to set him apart from Plas. After all, Ralph spent a number of years working in a carnival sideshow, hardly a position that would make him act all snotty, plus he's from Central City(which I always felt was DC's equivelant of Cleveland or Cincinnati). But this Ralph is also better than the version used in JLU. And he can't shape shift like Plas, only stretch. And Plas can only change his shape- the parts all stay colored red & yellow or flesh.

I didn't so much mind the Choi Atom appearance... I'm guessing in the DC Comic Universe the roles have reversed again and Ray Palmer will be the Atom while Choi becomes the smart professor that helps solve problems for the JLA. Just like Steel has become for the tech stuff, more than being an upfront member.

I'm hoping these "front end" guest-stars come back later on for the main show, Kamandi especially.

Comment

• vulcan2074
      Live Long and Prosper
      • Mar 23, 2008

I Really Liked this Episode. I thought it was Cool. I'm starting to really Like this Aquaman. He's starting to Grow on me
      Sammy

Comment

• Brue
        User without title
        • Sep 29, 2005

I'm starting to get used to the 1970's nothing has to make sense approach to stories and characters. i kinda like it. my wife and kids love it

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

But this Ralph is also better than the version used in JLU. And he can't shape shift like Plas, only stretch.
          See, I liked JLU's Ralph much better. His brief portrayl and voice (by Jeremy Piven) just rang much more true to me. Not a huge Ralph fan by any means, but he was around in a lot of my favorite comics, and in my favorite JLA period, so I like to see him done right.

But I doubt he'll get much play on B&B so I'll stop griping. I enjoy the show for what it is. It's not like Bob Haney had a handle on every characters personality!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• johnnystorm
            Hot Child in the City
            • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            It's not like Bob Haney had a handle on every characters personality!

Chris
            Amen...least of all on Batman, whose character could change chameleon like as the story dictated!

Elongated Man is a favorite of mine as well...I recommend the Showcase volume to everyone! I felt in JLU they made him a bit too 2nd rate, especially in the Booster Gold episode. Still, better than the shoddy treatment DC has given him these past few years. Maybe now that his pal Barry Allen is back he'll find a way to ressurect Ralph & Sue, hopefully without memory of their horrible fates.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I think I like this Aquaman because he's not the brooder he's been for so long, he's still an effective hero and got a bit of character.

I never thought Piven was right for Ralph either, he's supposed to be this "Thin Man" type and I think that's what B&B were gunning for.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• johnnystorm
                Hot Child in the City
                • Jul 3, 2008

Yeah, I'd agree with the Thin Man approach (obviously a play on both the classic detective & his power). Too bad DC never got that image across very well, a classic whodunit mystery book with some light humor from Ralph & Sue would be a breath of fresh air from DC. Wouldn't sell well enough alone, but if they ever decided to do a true anthology book again (and give it a chance!) it wouldbe a great onging series and a great collected TP series.

Comment

• jds1911a1
                  Alan Scott is the best GL
                  • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  See, I liked JLU's Ralph much better. His brief portrayl and voice (by Jeremy Piven) just rang much more true to me. Not a huge Ralph fan by any means, but he was around in a lot of my favorite comics, and in my favorite JLA period, so I like to see him done right.

But I doubt he'll get much play on B&B so I'll stop griping. I enjoy the show for what it is. It's not like Bob Haney had a handle on every characters personality!

Chris
                  I will say the JLU Ralph is very much the comic JLI version. I have read alot of Elongated man team ups with Barry and Kid flash wally back in the silver and bronze age and he never seemed this snooty to me. They didn't even do the twitching nose gag. They gave him a voice of a know it all but had him play the straight man comic releif to plas. I never read his earliest appearances in detective comics so maybe that's what they went with here.

Comment

• johnnystorm
                    Hot Child in the City
                    • Jul 3, 2008

Nah, Ralph is an average joe who figured out Gingold. He is a intuitive detective, not Batman level but just below. He got rich doing the Indian Rubber Man act in a sideshow, married a rich debutante, and they travelled the world waiting for his nose to wiggle. I think they were just going for something opposite Plas and hit on the Thin Man (Nick Charles) personality.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

I hadn't thought of the Thin Man. I guess it is a valid interpretation, although Ralph and Sue were like Nick and Nora in the way they interacted, and the fact that they solved mysteries, not in having a snooty air about them.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Action Martin
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 30, 2007

The episode reminded me of those two issues of AVENGERS, one where Ant-Man enters the body of the Vision and the one where the Vision enters the body of Yellowjacket. Also the Atom came across like Dr. Pym from WEST COAST AVENGERS where he carried "everything" in his jumpsuit and then enlarged them whenever he needed them.
                        Scott

Comment

• jds1911a1
                          • Aug 8, 2007

Keep an eye out for G'NORT tonight

Comment

• jwyblejr
                            galactic yo-yo
                            • Apr 6, 2006

Not only that,we get to see Sinestro as a good guy. That's worth watching it alone.

Comment

• jds1911a1
                              • Aug 8, 2007

and Dr Fate and Wotan in the open shot NICE. should be a fun one.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

"On Arbor Day, By Harvest Moon,
                                No Weasel Shall Escape My Spoon?"

Great episode. Hal was voiced by Loren Lester, voice of Dick Grayson/Robin/Nightwing on the classic BTAS/TNBA.

My only minor gripe, Gardner's voice was a tad bit too squeaky. The voice casting on here isn't quite as spot-on to me as it has been on other DCU shows (particularly JLU). Still good, but it doesn't quite match up to the voices I've associated with them in my head, even though Andrea Romano is still voice directing this one too.

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎