X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raydeen1
    Persistent Member
    • May 23, 2008

Wolverine and the Xmen????????

So my boys and I are watching Ben 10 Alien Force yesterday and after that was a new show called Wolverine and the Xmen. I hadn't heard anything about this. Was a decent premiere. I think I prefer the 90s Xmen cartoon but it looked pretty good. My boys liked it quite a bit.

Anyone see this new show?
  • Cosmicman
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 12, 2005

Originally posted by Raydeen1
    So my boys and I are watching Ben 10 Alien Force yesterday and after that was a new show called Wolverine and the Xmen. I hadn't heard anything about this. Was a decent premiere. I think I prefer the 90s Xmen cartoon but it looked pretty good. My boys liked it quite a bit.

Anyone see this new show?
    The 90s cartoon show cannot be topped. It is sad that they have never released that entire series on DVD. Matt (Spiderouge) and I got good DVD copies of the stuff that was pulled off television. I would definitely buy decent DVD copies if they ever got off their butts and burned the whole series to DVDs. I have been told they can't for some legal reasons but you can buy a few episodes here and there. LAME.

No X-Men cartoon will ever top this. The art was fab!

Kids these days would rather see cartoons drawn like they were done by people who ride the small bus to school. I don't get it.
    I love good art not crap like that "THE BATMAN" garbage.
    More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

The 90's Xtoon stunk on ice.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Raydeen1
        Persistent Member
        • May 23, 2008

Evolution stunk. The 90s toon was quite well done. Are you sure we're talking about he same show?

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        The 90's Xtoon stunk on ice.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

yep, the one that ran on Fox Kids around the same time Batman TAS. It was like comparing Filet Mignon to Spam. XToon being the spam. Horrid animation, lame storylines that were watered down from the current comics.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Raydeen1
            Persistent Member
            • May 23, 2008

Wow.
            I thought it was pretty good. I mean, they obviously couldn't do the show exactly like the comics but I thought for the most part they did a good job.

First time I ever heard a bad comment on that cartoon. I'm a bit shocked. lol

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

And I still got that stupid theme music stuck in my head when the show comes up in conversation. Hard to believe you've never heard another knock on it. I didn't know one single comic fan that liked it. The Spider-Man of the same time was a close second for stinky-ness. They just had no style, very vanilla.

Comment

• Raydeen1
                Persistent Member
                • May 23, 2008

Well,
                My Xmen was in the 70s and 80s so characters like Gambit weren't my cup of tea so I guess not knowing some of those newer characters very well helped for me.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

^^ Mine too, I dropped the XMen during the beginning of the Jim Lee era.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

The 90s X-toon was good for novelty, being the first X-Men toon (besides "Pryde of the X-Men" pilot), but the melodrama on there was so thick you could cut it with adamantium claws. The pacing was off, and the art style wasn't developed very well for animation. The heavy black shadows used on the figures sometimes seemed to be their own odd shapes, moving independtly of the characters. It proved Bruce Timm's theories on animation and not trying to adapt comic art straight to the screen, because it just doesn't work well.

It wasn't as hackneyed and badly-paced as the 90s Fox Spidey cartoon though. My son and I watched a few episodes of that this weekend, and MAN, did they need to trim those storylines back. It was all so rushed, nothing had any impact. Phew!!!

Raydeen, are you in Canada? I heard that the new X-toon would debut there first. We won't get it in the states until next spring, on one of the Nickelodeon channels.

Chris
                    Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Sep 7, '08, 5:54 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Raydeen1
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 23, 2008

Haha.
                      I dropped it while Silvestri was on it I think.
                      Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      ^^ Mine too, I dropped the XMen during the beginning of the Jim Lee era.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

^^ I made it thru that, just couldn't take the running off of CLaremont and the multiple covers, etc gimmicks. Glad I left too. bone claw Wolvie was idiotic. Luckily stuff like Hellboy, Martha Washington,Sin City and Hardboiled came along.

Comment

• Raydeen1
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 23, 2008

Yeah that's right around when it all went to hell. I stopped buying comics completely around the Jim Lee era. I only picked up old stuff at flea markets and such and that was rare. I'd snag old SMDM and Iron Jaw and stuff like that. I still find it hard to shell out money on the newer stuff.

Comment

• kept back
                            Persistent Member
                            • Aug 2, 2002

Sad 'cause I think Jim Lee does some awesome stuff. But the 32 variant chromium cover crap made me run for the hills. Plus I think Rob Liefield(also a big deal around that time) totally blows.

As for the '90's cartoon, I enjoyed it. It was pretty weak compared to B;TAS, but it was ok in my opinion. Spiderman on the other hand really sucked. I watched it pretty regularly, but it wasn't good by any means.

Wolverine and the X Men is something that has been on the plate (roughly)since X Men 3 came out. I was starting to wonder if it would ever see the light of day.
                            Of all the souls I have encountered his was the most...human.

Comment

• Raydeen1
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 23, 2008

Agreed. I didnt find the pacing too bad but the over use of black was really annoying. Yep. I'm in Canada and I find it funny we got it before you. We rarely get anything before the US. I still haven't found the small DC figures yet for instance.

It wasn't bad. Definitely based somewhat on the movies. The guy that does Beast's voice is a dead ringer for Kelsey Grammer. Wolverine is too tall. That sort of thing. I think it's on YouTube for you guys to check out. I'll need to see a few more episodes. My boys liked fine and that's what its all about.

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                              The 90s X-toon was good for novelty, being the first X-Men toon (besides "Pryde of the X-Men" pilot), but the melodrama on there was so thick you could cut it with adamantium claws. The pacing was off, and the art style wasn't developed very well for animation. The heavy black shadows used on the figures sometimes seemed to be their own odd shapes, moving independtly of the characters. It proved Bruce Timm's theories on animation and not trying to adapt comic art straight to the screen, because it just doesn't work well.

It wasn't as hackneyed and badly-paced as the 90s Fox Spidey cartoon though. My son and I watched a few episodes of that this weekend, and MAN, did they need to trim those storylines back. It was all so rushed, nothing had any impact. Phew!!!

Raydeen, are you in Canada? I heard that the new X-toon would debut there first. We won't get it in the states until next spring, on one of the Nickelodeon channels.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎