X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saildog
    Permanent Member
    • Apr 9, 2006

Any Fans of New Frontier?

I'm behind the curve and I'll admit it. I hadn't read Watchmen until this year and while that is shameful, I read it and loved it.

When Justice League: The New Frontier was released on DVD this year, I bought it and found it fascinating. Knowing a little of the Silver Age and the transition from the Golden Age, I "got it" on the level one was supposed to "get it". I think I have watched the DVD and special features at least twenty times (not an exaggeration, probably a conservative estimate, to say the least.)

Well, The New Frontier DVD got me interested in Ace Morgan and The Challs and subsequently, I found this site.
    Challenger Mountain

I quickly learned how much didn't make it from the Comic into the DVD, so I sought out the TPB. Holy Cow, did I miss out on the first go-around!!!! This story was great on DVD, but the Comic was FANTASTIC and I haven't even picked up Volume II, at this point.

I love what Darwyn Cooke did with this. I love that, in my opinion, he "gets it" on sooo many levels. I don't want to gush, but this stuff is just freaking awesome!!!

Any other fans?
    Last edited by saildog; Aug 23, '08, 7:42 PM.
  • GreenLantern9999
    GL of Mego Sector
    • Oct 8, 2007

I too only just read it about a year ago but I am in love with it as well! It is amazing!
    No body takes pot shots at Lubic! Good Journey

Comment

• saildog
      Permanent Member
      • Apr 9, 2006

Originally posted by GreenLantern9999
      I too only just read it about a year ago but I am in love with it as well! It is amazing!
      I'm guessing you are a Green Lantern fan. I think what Cooke did with Hal Jordan in New Frontier was just awesome. Took GL to a whole new level, IMHO. While I loved GL before, he made Hal's motivations completely understandable to me. That filled in a lot of blanks in my understanding of the character.

Additionally, he made Barry Allen seem like a scared-kid who would "man-up" when it counted. I love that stuff!!! I knew a man who was, by every definition, a true-American Hero. He told me, "If you are scared and still choose to do what is right, YOU are a hero.". That is how I feel Cooke portrayed Barry Allen.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

You should pick up the Absolute edition. Its even better. I reallllly wish Cooke would do a Challs series at DC.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

I read it a short while ago as well..T-bolt hooked me up with it. Very good book!
          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• saildog
            Permanent Member
            • Apr 9, 2006

Originally posted by The Toyroom
            I read it a short while ago as well..T-bolt hooked me up with it. Very good book!
            Wasn't aware of that edition and the sticker-shock staggered me a bit.

Given my love for the story, I would be willing to lay out that kind of cash down the road. Just got finished purchasing DC Archives of VOL 1 and 2 of Challengers of the Unknown and New Frontier VOL 2. Budget is blown, at this point, but now that you two have alerted me to The Absolute Edition, I will pick it up, at some point.
            Last edited by saildog; Aug 23, '08, 8:06 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

The wife got me the absolute edition for our anniversary. It's truly stunning. Fantastic book, and the movie is great in it's own right, but it's like missing huge chunks. You dont' NEED them for the story, but it just makes it more epic, all the little side pieces that build slowly to the finale.

Probably the best thing mainstream comic has produced since at least Kingdom Come.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• saildog
                Permanent Member
                • Apr 9, 2006

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                I reallllly wish Cooke would do a Challs series at DC.
                Okay, I with you!!! Where do we write to make DC take notice? I'm a regular "Grandpa Simpson" when it comes to writing persuasive letters.

Anyone know what Cooke is working on, currently?
                Last edited by saildog; Aug 23, '08, 8:07 PM.

Comment

• saildog
                  Permanent Member
                  • Apr 9, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  The wife got me the absolute edition for our anniversary. It's truly stunning. Fantastic book, and the movie is great in it's own right, but it's like missing huge chunks. You dont' NEED them for the story, but it just makes it more epic, all the little side pieces that build slowly to the finale.

Probably the best thing mainstream comic has produced since at least Kingdom Come.

Chris
                  Haven't read Kingdom Come. I saw it on the shelf yesterday when I bought New Frontier. I'm guessing it is another one I should pick up? (I've been out of the loop, but I want to catch up.)

By the way...you gotta cool wife for getting that for ya'. (I'm sure I don't need to tell YOU that!)
                  Last edited by saildog; Aug 23, '08, 8:02 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by saildog
                    Okay, I with you!!! Where do we write to make DC take notice? I'm a regular "Grandpa Simpson" when it comes to writing persuasive letters.

Anyone know what Cooke is working on, currently?
                    yep, its an adaptation of the Parker novels
                    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/0807...ke-parker.html
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Oddly enough, I was standing right next to Darwin Cooke today. I wanted to say something but felt weird, so I just kept to myself.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Steeler80
                        Mayor of Strunk
                        • Jun 29, 2001

I like both the comic and the movie (especially for a little more focus on Batman because he doesn't get enough exposure ). He was at a comic con I was at but the line was so long and I had limited time, so I didn't get to meet him. He spoke at a panel and seemed really down to earth and friendly. I'm looking forward to the Parker adaptations.

Comment

• saildog
                          Permanent Member
                          • Apr 9, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                          Oddly enough, I was standing right next to Darwin Cooke today. I wanted to say something but felt weird, so I just kept to myself.
                          I forgot, until this moment, that Cooke is Canadian.

I would have done the same thing.

Met Barry Switzer at the airport when he was coaching Oklahoma in their heyday. I was there to pick up my sister and her friend. He paid more attention to two little blond chicks than me (he was very nice to them) and I just kind of blended into the woodwork. Granted, they were middle-schoolers and I was 17 years old. I was waaaaay more star-struck than them, but they recognized him first and he very graciously entertained them for a few moments. They weren't phased at all, though they knew who he was!!!

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                            Pat Troughton in disguise
                            • Nov 21, 2007

The Absolute edition is a must if you can get it....some really wonderful stuff at the back and the artwork really stands out in the larger format page size.....it truely is a wonderful graphic/mini series and dvd.
                            ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

The Absolute also has a lot of added material to the story.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎