X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KingKickass1983
    Career Member
    • Jan 19, 2019

Will Eisner's The Spirit. custom.

I first heard about the Spirit when the company Graffiti Designs released an 8 inch figure in their Big Blast figures line.
    Years went by, and the film by Frank Miller was released to mixed reviews. I loved it, and the fascination with the character started to germinate...
    With the film's release also came new comics and collections of older comics for new readers! It was through these that I came to fully get the magic of The Spirit, and Will Eisner's story telling.
    I did some research and googled previous customs and admired the works of my fellow fans. It led me back to that first Big Blast figure, because the head sculpts still hold up to this day and I saw my fellow customizers agreed. so....I set out to make a mego Spirit.

Denny Colt utilizes FTC's type S body with the arms upgrade to give him double jointed elbows and wider shoulders.

I glued a neck adapter made by Laser mego to the front half of the torso's neck hole. I love both heads so wanted to be able to change them out on a whim.

Was able to find the original figure for a decent price complete. Dremeled the base of the necks to fit the adapter. The heads look a bit big, so I adapted the figure's hands as well to give everything a balanced look. Did this by using the FTC glove hands ball joint system. Dremeled out the hands at the wrist to fit the balls.

Spirit is dressed in the blue suit from FTC's Jimmy Carter figure with a white shirt, and red tie. Socks and black shoes.

I present...Will Eisner's The Spirit.

IMG_3754.jpg

IMG_3764.jpg

IMG_3758.jpg

IMG_3757.jpg
    Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..
  • KingKickass1983
    Career Member
    • Jan 19, 2019

A couple more pics...

IMG_3755.jpg

IMG_3760.jpg

IMG_3763.jpg
    Wanted:

Comment

• monitor_ep
      Talkative Member
      • May 11, 2013

Wow he turned out great.
      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• apes3978
        Permanent Member
        • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by monitor_ep
        Wow he turned out great.
        I echo this statement.

Comment

• battmasterson
          Career Member
          • Dec 22, 2010

Awesome! I love the figure in blue. I agree with everyone else that the figure turned out great. Nice work.

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

Thanks for the details on the recipe. He looks fantastic. And great photography too... you capture a lot of action and expressions amongst the 2 heads and your dynamic poses.

Comment

• warlock664
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 15, 2009

Wow, now that’s The Spirit !

Oddly enough, I attempted an 8” Spirit custom over a decade ago myself, using the same Graffiti action figure and a Playing Mantis Action Jackson body, but never completed it, as I couldn’t find a decent suit (I can sew custom costumes fairly well in 12/13” scale but not 8”).
              Now, I’m inspired to complete it using your recipe and a Toyroom box !

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                Career Member
                • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by warlock664
                Wow, now that’s The Spirit !

Oddly enough, I attempted an 8” Spirit custom over a decade ago myself, using the same Graffiti action figure and a Playing Mantis Action Jackson body, but never completed it, as I couldn’t find a decent suit (I can sew custom costumes fairly well in 12/13” scale but not 8”).
                Now, I’m inspired to complete it using your recipe and a Toyroom box !
                I almost went with a PM AJ body as a base too, but ultimately went with a non banded body. As well built looking as the AJ body looks, I found the arms at the elbows to be horrendously shoddy. The type S offered a more stable base to work with, and the use of the upgraded arms does give him larger more defined shoulders, I just wish they were still a bit larger.
                Wanted:

Comment

• warlock664
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by KingKickass1983

I almost went with a PM AJ body as a base too, but ultimately went with a non banded body. As well built looking as the AJ body looks, I found the arms at the elbows to be horrendously shoddy. The type S offered a more stable base to work with, and the use of the upgraded arms does give him larger more defined shoulders, I just wish they were still a bit larger.
                  You’ve inspired me: I have all the necessary parts ordered from CTVT!
                  I’ve been a fan of Eisner and The Spirit since reading a chapter devoted to them in The Comic-Book Book by Lupoff/Thompson that I checked out of the high school library in 1978. That prompted me to ask for a few of the Warren B&W magazines for Christmas (ordered thru Captain Company, Warren’s merchandise business).
                  Now I have a complete run of the Warren/Kitchen Sink magazines, the KS comic, the 27-volume Spirit Archives, and numerous other books as well as any merchandise I could find.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎