• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Legend of Link
    Career Member
    • Jun 12, 2010

"Obtainer of Rare Antiquities"- Raiders Style

Hey everyone,
    Just wanna acknowledge a few people before we get started.
    Lee (megoknight), thanks for giving me the great jacket idea and your Indy is what helped me get on this kick in the first place. Thanks man.
    Derek C. and Jim H. (Megospidey and MegoJim), you guys made some awesome figures and BEAUTIFUL ways to display them with the addition of your display boxes. You'll be able to tell how you guys influenced me Thanks guys.
    Last but not least, The Old Man (noelani72), if it wasn't for your beautiful ark, idol, and assistance with the idol stand, this figure wouldn't be what it is now. Thanks Old Sport.

Lets get our Raiders on:

From the past Jones I've seen, Indy is a fun figure to make if you have a whole array of cool accessories, and I've tried to implement that into mine.

I found this package of Cowboy hats for dolls at our Hobby Lobby and the shape screamed Jones, after I trimmed the brim, painted it brown and wrapped some black vinyl around it. Better modified hat in comments below

His machete is carved from this old sword I picked up from my first Mego Meet.

The Staff of Ra is actually a red medallion necklace I recently got from Dave Lee's Store. ( Its AWESOME check it out, don't forget the awesome prices too!!!!)

The Head is obviously Bionic Joe's, with a crappy paint app.

The idol stand was fun. As you'll see, we started with a Styrofoam cone and we cut to size.

Then we added cardboard spacers for extra height and for more authentic looking.

then we primed it then scanned it.

once scanned, I was able to go in and carve out the detail, and after it was printed, I primed, painted, and applied some model moss to it.

The Boy is proud to present, Dr. Jones in all his glory:

it kinda blends in, but he does have his bag of sand.

Oh yeah, I found a light

and lastly, a pic of all his goodies ( minus his .45 and Machete)

Yes, EVERYTHING fits in the box.

I had so much fun making this guy, and thanks to all that inspired and helped me along the way.
    Hope you enjoyed him and thanks for looking.
    -Sean
    Last edited by Legend of Link; Nov 22, '13, 5:14 PM.

http://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r561/Sgordy199/ <- My Mego Pictures
  • lilbrosj66
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 4, 2011

That is some seriously inspired and detailed work. Love it!

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

neat, especially all the accessories.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• megowgsh
        Customego HoF Curator
        • Nov 19, 2003

Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

Mindblowing!
          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Megospidey
            Museum Webslinger
            • Jul 26, 2006

Very nice job Sean. Love seeing customs where people add some of the little things to make their work stand out.

To be fair, you and me and Jim H. all owe Captain Mego a debt of gratitude. He made the first Indy in this style with a box case and other things that got all our (and others) creative juices flowing. But each successive Indy has been different in its own right, adding something new to make it distinct.

Yours has the staff of Ra and the Ark...something none of the others has. For now at least

Very nice work my man. He turned out great.

Comment

• noelani72
              27inaleon
              • Jun 25, 2002

it was totally awesome watching this process unfold.
              Making that Idol stand was a real booger. Had too much trouble designing the basic shape in his 3D software - that's how the styrofoam route came to be.
              Once the basic shape was there, he could sculpt/carve whatever he wanted. Getting that foam piece to scan right took days and two different scanners LOL.
              He kept secrets from me too, so I was surprised at the end result.

Comment

• bobws
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 13, 2008

Love Indy and this is a great display and Fantastic Custom.
                "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• sprytel
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by noelani72
                  it was totally awesome watching this process unfold.
                  Making that Idol stand was a real booger. Had too much trouble designing the basic shape in his 3D software - that's how the styrofoam route came to be.
                  Once the basic shape was there, he could sculpt/carve whatever he wanted. Getting that foam piece to scan right took days and two different scanners LOL.
                  He kept secrets from me too, so I was surprised at the end result.
                  I also love when customizers talk about their process. It is especially fun when it involves this new technology, because it is exciting to see you guys still figuring out all the possibilities as you go along.

The end result is absolutely superb. My one constructive criticism might be that the brim of Indy's hat looks to be trimmed down just a touch too much... but it still works well. I'm completely blown away by that ark, the idol and stand, the Ra amulet... All the accessories and little details are incredible.

Comment

• Legend of Link
                    Career Member
                    • Jun 12, 2010

Thanks everyone for the kind words, he truly was fun to build and as you can see, he's a simple recipe and everyone should have their own version of Indy. (even if it is from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, is that even a movie?)

Originally posted by Megospidey
                    Very nice job Sean. Love seeing customs where people add some of the little things to make their work stand out.

To be fair, you and me and Jim H. all owe Captain Mego a debt of gratitude. He made the first Indy in this style with a box case and other things that got all our (and others) creative juices flowing. But each successive Indy has been different in its own right, adding something new to make it distinct.

Yours has the staff of Ra and the Ark...something none of the others has. For now at least

Very nice work my man. He turned out great.
                    Thanks Derek, I forgot you based yours on Captain Mego, well if he is seeing this, he should be proud how his one piece has influenced many others. Flatt who? Thanks Captain.

Originally posted by sprytel
                    I also love when customizers talk about their process. It is especially fun when it involves this new technology, because it is exciting to see you guys still figuring out all the possibilities as you go along.

The end result is absolutely superb. My one constructive criticism might be that the brim of Indy's hat looks to be trimmed down just a touch too much... but it still works well. I'm completely blown away by that ark, the idol and stand, the Ra amulet... All the accessories and little details are incredible.
                    Funny you say this. As I was reading this comment, I already had a new hat drying lol. I didn't like his hat secretly I made first, I thought it was too tall, you and the Old Man thought the brim was too small, well, I have to agree after stepping back from the rush of everything.
                    TBolt reminded me of this video he used as a reference for his Shadow figure. I applied a concept from there to "shrink my hat" a little.

here are some pics of it on the figure.

then, sadly, a profile of the old hat......

let me know what you guys think. I'd say its at least a LITTLE better lol.

Thanks again everyone.
                    -Sean

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

That's an incredible attention to detail, I'm in awe.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Legend of Link
                        Career Member
                        • Jun 12, 2010

Originally posted by megoknight
                        Boy, that's a great paint job. I hate trying to paint a prepainted flesh cause I always have to chase the paint and you cant do that on those. As I mentioned I think my hat is too big/tall as well. Glad you made the brim bigger I just wasn't going to mention it. What was the hat shrinking trick?
                        It's was actually my second paint job on this head. These were my re painted eyes I did( after taking a toothpick to my first try at eyes), darker hair and thicker beard.

With the hat I cut it in two, leaving the brim and a little bit of cap part together while the rest is another part. Then I slide the upper cap under the brim, painted, then wrapped my vinyl around the seam. Made it shorter but keep the fedora look. ..... If that description doesn't work, I can make a thread with pics and more in depth detailing steps

Comment

• sprytel
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 26, 2009

Yeah, I'm liking where the brim is at now. Looking at pictures from the movies, the sides of the hat seem a little more squared than yours are.... but its darn close.

Now you need to give him some sankara stones...

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
                            learning all the time
                            • Sep 15, 2010

fantastic job all around!
                            if this was for sale back in the day it would have been at the top of my wishlist!

Comment

• piecemaker
                              There's no need to fear..
                              • Jan 26, 2009

This is Awesome! Fantastic job!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡