X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megowgsh
    Customego HoF Curator
    • Nov 19, 2003

ZOD, URSA AND NON: The Phantom Zone Three from Superman II

Ever since Mego released a 12"General Zod action figure as an "amalgamation of the comic and movie looks for the character"...

...customizers have striven to achieve a truer Superman II movie look for the character and his cohorts Ursa and Non as seen in the movie poster below.

I on the other hand decided to go in the opposite direction. I said to myself, "If Mego had made Ursa and Non wouldn't they have made them wearing the exact same outfit they used for Zod?" I mean, they all wore the same outfit in the movie, just different from the action figure, right?

May I present to you a set of 1/9 scale action figures of Zod, Ursa and Non as I think Mego would have made. Bios are from Wikipedia.

Terence Stamp as General Zod: The ruthless, arrogant and megalomaniacal leader of three Kryptonian criminals banished to the Phantom Zone and unwittingly set free by Superman. Zod, upon landing on Earth and gaining the same super powers as Superman, immediately views humans as a weak and insignificant sub-species and imposes his evil will for world dominance. However, his arrogance causes him to quickly become bored with his powers and he is almost disappointed at how little of a challenge humans are. His insatiable lust for power is replaced however by revenge when he learns that the son of Jor-El stands in the way of his absolute rule of the planet.

Zod is built on an original Mego T2 body using the 12" Mego Zod head shrunk to scale using Hydrospan. Boots from CTVT, Castaway belt, suit by me and paints by me.

Sarah Douglas as Ursa: Zod's second-in-command and consort. Ursa's evil will and power-lust are equal to and sometimes surpass those of General Zod's. Her contempt and utter disregard for humans and all life form as well as her twisted taste for destruction make her a very deadly adversary. She has an inclination to collect insignia and heraldry from people she defeats or dominates, such as the NASA patch from the EVA suit of an astronaut she kills.

Ursa is built on a Mego female body using the head from a Toy Biz Famous Covers Spider-girl (I trimmed her hair just a bit). Boots from CTVT, Castaway belt. Suit by yours truly.

Toy Biz Famous Covers Spider-girl

Jack O'Halloran as Non: The third of the Kryptonian criminals, Non is "as without thought as he is without voice." At 7 ft (2.1 m) tall, Non is a formidable hulking mute, who easily matches Superman's strength but has the intelligence and sometimes curiosity of a child and communicates only with guttural grunts and growls. Though he lacks the mental ability to use his powers effectively, he does however possess the same taste for destruction as his Kryptonian companions.

Non is built on a ZICA body with a head sculpted by Next2LastMohican. Boots from CTVT, Castaway belt. Suit and painted by me.

Group shot!

A note: your eyes are not playing tricks on you the grays are all slightly different. They were made at different times using different printers. The difference is less noticeable in person.

I hope you enjoy my customs as much as I do, and, as always, thanks for looking.

Peace, Love and Megos,

Austin
    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms
  • noelani72
    27inaleon
    • Jun 25, 2002

Neat! This is the first time of seeing Ursa and Non megos for me.

Comment

• Boywonder0
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 29, 2007

Neatos! These look awesome. Austin!

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
        Time to feed the cat
        • Dec 30, 2007

How do you do stuff like this, plus have your day job too? How many hours are in your day?
        Great work, those look amazing, Superman had better watch out!

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

That's a pretty inspired idea, they came out terrific.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• madmarva
            Talkative Member
            • Jul 7, 2007

They look great. love the Non head.
            Last edited by madmarva; Nov 10, '13, 9:31 AM.

Comment

• jimsmegos
              Mego Dork
              • Nov 9, 2008

Very cool! Love the Non.

Comment

• sprytel
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 26, 2009

Agree with the others. They all look great, but the Non is particularly charming.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

A great set--using Spider-Girl is inspired.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

neat, really like the Non head.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• piecemaker
                      There's no need to fear..
                      • Jan 26, 2009

These are great,that Non head is perfect!

Comment

• Brown Bear
                        Still Old School
                        • Feb 14, 2008

Austin, you know how much I love your customs and this isn't an easy thing to say but these are my all time favorite customs you have ever done! This trio is something I've always wanted to see, especially Non!

These are crazy cool. I score them 11 out of 10. Brilliant!
                        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• VintageMike
                          Permanent Member
                          • Dec 16, 2004

Great idea, doing them as Mego would have. They all came out fantastic!

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                            Moderation Engineer
                            • Aug 14, 2003

Non is my favorite. Those are so cool it makes me want to watch the movie again!

Comment

• Capt_Amego
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 7, 2012

They look great! I like the costumes
                              This is a mad house, A MAD HOUSE!!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎