Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vinny0026
    Year Five!!
    • Jan 26, 2012

wow - just looked at those step by step pics - this is insane!! This maybe the greatest custom of all time! once finished!

when your done - please teach/tell ctv how to make this - you know we all are going to want one! LOL
    I'm glad I did not see this until now. I would be having a heart attack until I saw the finished product! hope new pics show up soon
    "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

• Bronxboykev
      Permanent Member
      • Mar 7, 2011

I don't think this project will come to fruition... The member hasn't had activity sinc Dec of 2013

Comment

• TomStrong
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2011

I would have dearly loved to see this one finished. Shame we can't check in on the member, but if he doesn't answer pm's what can you do? The size is perfect. It's not like batman would be riding in a power wheels! It would be the full scale deal. If only FTC could do this.

Comment

• Kal-El
          Kirby is King
          • May 6, 2008

Originally posted by Wise4671
          Im dying to see some new pics on this project !!!!!!
          No kidding , this is going to look so cool !
          sigpic

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Somebody should just scan the large hot wheels version and print it out larger. Start over, since this has been in progress for six years. Printed in black to reduce paint cost. If I had a scanner and printer, I would make so much stuff that there would be nothing left to want. Everything would be 1/9th scale! I'd be a giant in a 1/9th scale universe....

Comment

• noelani72
              27inaleon
              • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
              Somebody should just scan the large hot wheels version and print it out larger. Start over, since this has been in progress for six years. Printed in black to reduce paint cost. If I had a scanner and printer, I would make so much stuff that there would be nothing left to want. Everything would be 1/9th scale! I'd be a giant in a 1/9th scale universe....
              Trust me - printing it would not be worth it.
              For one, it would have to be done in pieces since 99% of available/affordable printers don't have a build plate big enough.
              Two, if you could print it - figure about 50hours (just for the main body shell) and cross your fingers it goes alright.
              Three, material. It would be expensive.
              Four. It would still need painted because you'd see some marks left behind from the layers or head. Course, if you had a $250,000 ObJet printer....I'm moving to your neighborhood lol.

A scanner and printer will run you approx $5000.

I have given something like this some considerable thought.
              If it were me - I'd have Legend of Link slice the huge model into clever pieces.
              Pieces that utilize the printer build plate to the max, all the while following natural body lines of the car.
              Print each piece and glue together.
              Perform some body work to finish it off, hide seams, fill in some undercuts and make a permanent buck that could be vacuum formed in black ABS.

Industrial sized vacuum formers are out there, few hundred bucks to a little over a grand for a decent one for home use. You can build your own if you're good with wood and use your oven to heat the stuff if you're that kind of person.

From there, it's all down hill.
              Being able to reproduce will be quick, cost effective and the end result will be very nice.
              Then you could 3d design and print some axles, get some heavy gauge wire, print some wheels, print a cockpit....put it all together. bam.

Once you get it done, you might want a box for it...that's a whole nuther monster.

Finally, once the car is done, someone will want to buy it (cuz, yea, you wanna sell it to recoup design and material overhead) and when you tell them $300 - they disappear. $200 might be an alright price range for something OOAK like this...but I dunno. I was just telling someone the other day - if 3d scanning and 3d printing was so easy, everyone would be doing it. I fully encourage more to get into it so they can get in on the floor level, get their hands dirty and see this really cool tool that compliments traditional methods of clay and fingers.
              Give a few more years and hopefully it will be and we'll have a digital library here where someone can come in, download 3d files for a body, a head..download a pattern for a costume...download a backer card or box...walla. Weekend custom.

Comment

• sprytel
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 26, 2009

I think that is the right idea, Chad. I actually think if you could create a nice vacuum form "shell", you would just make it compatible with an existing toy car frame (one of those Bratz cars, perhaps). You basically sell one big piece (plus windshields and decals, probably) and let the buyer put it together as a kit.

Comment

• Chris
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 23, 2009

Noelani, If you were to build a 66 Batmobile for $300. I would pay upfront.
                  If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• ZombieJimC
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 12, 2014

I hope this gets completed. A true labor of love.

Comment

• durgos
                      • Apr 1, 2009

You the man, Chad!

Dan

Comment

• darklord1967
                        Persistent Member
                        • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by noelani72
                        Trust me - printing it would not be worth it.
                        For one, it would have to be done in pieces since 99% of available/affordable printers don't have a build plate big enough.
                        Two, if you could print it - figure about 50hours (just for the main body shell) and cross your fingers it goes alright.
                        Three, material. It would be expensive.
                        Four. It would still need painted because you'd see some marks left behind from the layers or head. Course, if you had a $250,000 ObJet printer....I'm moving to your neighborhood lol.

A scanner and printer will run you approx $5000.

I have given something like this some considerable thought.
                        If it were me - I'd have Legend of Link slice the huge model into clever pieces.
                        Pieces that utilize the printer build plate to the max, all the while following natural body lines of the car.
                        Print each piece and glue together.
                        Perform some body work to finish it off, hide seams, fill in some undercuts and make a permanent buck that could be vacuum formed in black ABS.

Industrial sized vacuum formers are out there, few hundred bucks to a little over a grand for a decent one for home use. You can build your own if you're good with wood and use your oven to heat the stuff if you're that kind of person.

From there, it's all down hill.
                        Being able to reproduce will be quick, cost effective and the end result will be very nice.
                        Then you could 3d design and print some axles, get some heavy gauge wire, print some wheels, print a cockpit....put it all together. bam.

Once you get it done, you might want a box for it...that's a whole nuther monster.

Finally, once the car is done, someone will want to buy it (cuz, yea, you wanna sell it to recoup design and material overhead) and when you tell them $300 - they disappear. $200 might be an alright price range for something OOAK like this...but I dunno. I was just telling someone the other day - if 3d scanning and 3d printing was so easy, everyone would be doing it. I fully encourage more to get into it so they can get in on the floor level, get their hands dirty and see this really cool tool that compliments traditional methods of clay and fingers.
                        Give a few more years and hopefully it will be and we'll have a digital library here where someone can come in, download 3d files for a body, a head..download a pattern for a costume...download a backer card or box...walla. Weekend custom.

The box? Nah, that's the LEAST of my worries. I've got access to a professional custom corrugated cardboard box maker, and I already designed the graphics for the custom Batmobile's box (seen on page 12 of this thread, I believe).

No, my major stumbling block has been what you outlined above: The cost. The technology for 3D printing simply has not caught up to to intended scale / quality of this project yet. And also as you pointed out, I am having trouble locating a 3D print bed large enough to accommodate length of the car's main body.

3D Printing everything else is not an issue at all. It's that car car body. It is simply far too long. I have completely disassembled the Hot Wheels 1:18 Batmobile and the main body separates into two halves (top and bottom, separated along the car's red body line). It is a FAR more logical configuration for the assembly of the Batmobile than the Revel Futura kit. But the problem remains: the two halves of the Hot Wheels version represent the FULL body from front to back, which translates into a final model that (at least for now) is too expensive to be 3D printed.

But rest assured this project is NOT dead. My custom Mego Batman WILL drive a correctly scaled Batmobile... whether I eventually make it myself or whether Mattel produces one for their Retro Heroes.
                        I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

• darklord1967
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by Bronxboykev
                          I don't think this project will come to fruition... The member hasn't had activity sinc Dec of 2013
                          It will. And sorry I've been missing in action. For the last couple of years, I've been busy producing a stage production with my drama students about Bob Kane, Bill Finger and Jerry Robinson's creation of the Batman mythology. It's called FATHERS OF THE DARK KNIGHT and it features all the Batman characters.

Just can't seem to get away from that guy with the cape and cowl...

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                            Moderation Engineer
                            • Aug 14, 2003

That sounds cool but you really need to get your priorities straight:-)

Comment

• darklord1967
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                              That sounds cool but you really need to get your priorities straight:-)
                              So sorry. I won't let it happen again.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                                Persistent Member
                                • Dec 29, 2007

^^^Great news!^^^

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢