• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tylerh
    Museum Patron
    • Sep 14, 2011

THE THING 1955 James Arness head for future MEGO custom

Hi All,

Im a digital sculptor and want to make a few mego figures - First one I want to do is an Arness-style THE THING from the classic sci-fi film..

Ill have this sculpt eventually output and Ill do the body / hands then - but what do you think so far???

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 28, 2013

I haven't watched the movie in years but from what I remember, it looks bang on. Nice work!

Comment

• Captain Awesome
      Career Member
      • May 27, 2012

Very nice! Same here! Haven't seen it in quite a while, but from what I see and remember, looks spot on.
      Courage is being scared to death but saddlin' up anyway. - John Wayne

Comment

• dr_cyclops
        One eyed, wonder
        • Dec 17, 2009

Really like the sculpt. Classic/B-movie Sci-Fi/Horror characters are a major interest of mine. Thanks.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

you got to do the hands, too. Looks good so far.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

A great start.
            Perhaps have a closer look at the nose and mouth of James Arness. He had a very distinctive nose.

Sounds like a great project (don't forget the hands), and I'd love it in both 8" and 12". Keep us posted!
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Looks like the face could be elongated a bit. Maybe rough up the skin texture a bit, too.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• tylerh
                Museum Patron
                • Sep 14, 2011

Originally posted by thunderbolt

While that is an AWESOME sculpt, I dont feel like it is really a true representation of THE THING - This looks more like Arness in his later years, with the makeup on - - - And I see how that could have been done, as a lot of THE THING makeup on James Arness reference doesnt exist - He was much younger when he did the role (It may have been his first film?)

564-19342.jpg

See in this pic - He doesnt look like that sculpt either..... Its hard to get good clear reference aside form the pic that they use for everything.... Not that the face DOESNT need to be made a little longer - I agree it does a big....

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

here's a good hand pic

not sure about the colors, he's a plant, so there should be some more green to it like in that other pic. Elongate the face a bit and I think you will be pretty right on.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                    One eyed, wonder
                    • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                    here's a good hand pic

not sure about the colors, he's a plant, so there should be some more green to it like in that other pic. Elongate the face a bit and I think you will be pretty right on.
                    This photo has great 'hand reference'. I also has been colorized from a B&W pic. (I think they called them 'Studio Shots'.)
                    If I remember correctly, after MANY monster designs were scrapped by Howard Hawk, he said; 'Just get the biggest guy you can find, dress him up like Frankenstein's monster, and we'll turn the lights down low.'
                    My bias on this movie is, I only saw it as an adult, after seeing Carpenter's version. Never found it scary. Silly, yes. Fun, yes, but never 'scary'.
                    While a spot on likeness would be great, I desire a caricature version that captures the menace of the creature.
                    For this reason, I really like the green head pic. Thank you T-Bolt for the great pics and contributions.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

I prefer Hawks' version, had great atmosphere and a real throwback to the Universal monster films. Carpenter's had lots of gore, but did capture the monster better from the original story.

Comment

• tylerh
                        Museum Patron
                        • Sep 14, 2011

I like both versions - I dont consider one a remake of the other as much as 2 takes on the same source material -

I love the constant banter between the actors in the Hawks version, but I consider the Carpenter one to be basically the "perfect" sci-fi / horror film...

Comment

• tylerh
                          Museum Patron
                          • Sep 14, 2011

I think Im going to call him done!

6zgs.jpg

Comment

• tylerh
                            Museum Patron
                            • Sep 14, 2011

Comment

• dr_cyclops