X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kal-El
    Kirby is King
    • May 6, 2008

How do you dye a Dr. Mego body

I'm having trouble dying a Dr. Mego anatomically correct Hulk body. Can any one help me out? I'm trying to dye it green of course
    sigpic
  • lilbrosj66
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 4, 2011

Have you tried RIT dye? I thought I read on one of the posts where someone was using RIT to put a deeper color on some Mego heads? I haven't tried so I have no idea how the dye will do with that type of plastic but have been thinking I may try and dye one of the Mego female bodies I have blue in order to do a Mistique. Just a thought.

Comment

• pmwasson
      Maker
      • Sep 12, 2007

Originally posted by Kal-El
      anatomically correct Hulk body
      Is this for an Ang Lee Hulk custom?
      sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• actjac01
        Veteran Member
        • May 17, 2009

Doc Mego often recommends using Rit brand dye.
        Even some of the items on his site he offers to dye a specific color for you when you order.
        I'd shoot him an e-mail directly with any questions you might have: drmego@drmego.com
        He's one of the best!
        "...You can capture the Klingon & bring him back to the Enterprise!"

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Rit dye works pretty good on the limbs; they're a softer plastic. You'll probably want to paint the torso and abdomen, since they're harder plastic and won't take dyes so good. Being hard plastic they're pretty easy to paint.

Don C.

Comment

• BATMAN89
            Mego obsessed!!!
            • Jul 20, 2010

I have been planning on doing the same with my DM Hulk body.
            Lately though, I have had trouble with liquid Ritt on clothing, so I may use the powder.
            I just have to find the Emerald Green color first.
            Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
            My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• nobody
              banjo!
              • Jan 26, 2012

1st off, you'll have the same problem with the powder. I believe the goverment made them change their formula like dish washer formula. It has no stick to it now. Second. Doc mego bodies will only dye the legs and arms but not the torso and pins. A guy on here sprayed his doc body spring grass krylon. It came out OK. So unless Doc starts selling colored bodies(which I can't figure out why he would make a white body that doesn't dye) or everyone makes Solomon Grundy customs, that's where we are at at this time. Still Luv ya Doc.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

I thought something was up with RIT dye lately. I used it to dye a couple things that usually take it just fine and it didn't work.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                  Moderation Engineer
                  • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by megoknight
                  1st off, you'll have the same problem with the powder. I believe the goverment made them change their formula like dish washer formula. It has no stick to it now. Second. Doc mego bodies will only dye the legs and arms but not the torso and pins. A guy on here sprayed his doc body spring grass krylon. It came out OK. So unless Doc starts selling colored bodies(which I can't figure out why he would make a white body that doesn't dye) or everyone makes Solomon Grundy customs, that's where we are at at this time. Still Luv ya Doc.
                  He's Dr Mego, not Doctor Strange. There was no way for him to know that the same process he used for dying his regular white bodies for years would suddenly change. Sooner or later one of the Mego chemists around here will figure out how to get the dye to adhere.

That being said, another alternative that would probably work is automotive trim paint. A good paint shop can mix any color, and it has properties that allow it to bond with whatever it's sprayed on - plastic, vinyl, etc. It's a little pricey, but if you have it mixed you can have any color you want. I plan on picking-up a body at Mego Meet and trying it out this summer.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎