Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThatBatmanGuy
    Career Member
    • May 14, 2007

One other thing when casting with the clear resin: you must pressure cast it. Otherwise the parts will be filled with airbubbles.

I use the Smooth-On brand clear resin. Yes, it is pricey. Very good of you Dave to offer the contact info for a smaller/cheaper price.
    Bob

Comment

• TrueDave
      Toy Maker
      • Jan 12, 2008

Originally posted by ThatBatmanGuy
      One other thing when casting with the clear resin: you must pressure cast it. Otherwise the parts will be filled with airbubbles.

I use the Smooth-On brand clear resin. Yes, it is pricey. Very good of you Dave to offer the contact info for a smaller/cheaper price.
      Bob

PRESSURE POT!!!!!!!!
      NO!

I ordered two kinds of clear plastic off Amazon .

I had bubbles when I tried casting silicone .
      I heard the Pressure Pot name used then.
      ( I request a pressure pot demo at Mego Meet!)

Comment

• boss
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 18, 2003

you're definitely hosed without a pressure pot on clear resin. those are about $100.
        Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• TrueDave
          Toy Maker
          • Jan 12, 2008

Originally posted by boss
          you're definitely hosed without a pressure pot on clear resin. those are about $100.
          I could swing that maybe but I need to be SHOWN how to operate things.

I'll see how the Hobby Resin works out. . . . . . . . .

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

Do folks have a recommendation for pressure pots that they use? Any particular manufacturer or retailer?
            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• boss
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 18, 2003

This is the one I bought. Jason (gaga4toyz) tricked it out for me with some new gauges and fittings. He's an expert on these things...

Search results for: 'pressure pot'

Comment

• TrueDave
                Toy Maker
                • Jan 12, 2008

Originally posted by boss
                This is the one I bought. Jason (gaga4toyz) tricked it out for me with some new gauges and fittings. He's an expert on these things...

Search results for: 'pressure pot'
                This isnt too bad a price. Looks like something I would accidentally blow something off /up with .

I still would like to know how to eliminate bubbles when possible by mold designs. ( see my "bubbles in my fingers " thread.")

However "Clear resin = bubbles" is what I've been reading.

I got about $60 worth of clear resin yesterday and have been experimenting with it.
                "casting Craft Clear casting resin" ( and 5 oz of catalyst)
                &
                "Realistic Water: model water"

I played with the Realistic Water last night: no mix, no smell, but apparantlly i am only suppossed to do 1/8th an inch at a time. Thats awkward when I cant see into the mold.
                Also it takes each 1/8th layer 24 hours to set.
                It hasnt been 24 hours yet.

However A member was hoping I could cast 30 copies of a part he sent me. Simple part. two inches tall clear amber.

? 2" = 8 x 1/8th pours. thats eight days for a single Piece and doesnt even touch apon me matching the tint to each layer. 8 x 30? 34 weeks to make the copies?
                I could set up 30 copies of the mold ? ( I wont)

The Casting Craft I started with this morning. Smells like Bondo. nauseaus

Casting craft instructions say can pour more than 1/8th at a time I dont HAVE to go in layers , however even with my digital; scale how many drops of catalyst the mix called for was crazy. I'll have to let my wife look at it. Shes better with numbers.

I to the mold outside for the proper temperature to cure so we'll see . . . . . Dunno how long . . . . .. .

Comment

• boss
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 18, 2003

Originally posted by TrueDave
                  However "Clear resin = bubbles" is what I've been reading.
                  It's not so much the bubbles on the outside of the cast piece with clear resin, but the bubbles trapped on the inside that detract from the look. Even if you get a perfectly smooth cast, the inside of your casted part will look like a carbonated soda.

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I've done a few things in clear and haven't had any more problems with air bubbles than with any other casting. Trick is; I use a LOT of vents on my molds, use material with longer curing times, and tap th' heck out of my stuff after pouring. The only problem I had was with my Pulsar: the clear plastic ate through some of the paint on his organs, (or maybe the urethane I sealed them with) causing it to fog up a bit, and flake some of the paint. Although it's not too noticable unless you really look. The lack of bubbles kinda surprised me, 'cos there's a lot of twisty-bits to his.... well, the LOOK like arteries, but they're located where his intestines would be.... that I thought would trap air. (That's not blood circulatin' through his system; it's chipotle.)

Don C.

Comment

• YANOULI
                      Part-Time Timelord
                      • Jan 9, 2006

Rather than spending a lot of money on clear resins, why don't you just make a figure with out a head/hands etc to simulate it being invisible?
                      Last edited by YANOULI; May 15, '11, 11:15 AM.
                      " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "

Comment

• sallie138
                        • Mar 17, 2013

Gary, your custom of Claude Rains is wicked ! Even down to the darksided glasses. Ta, you have given me an idea of how to pull one off.

Comment

• GaryPlaysWithDolls
                          Mighty Man/Monster Maker
                          • Aug 14, 2007

Thanks! Head is from a Little Big heads. Too big for Mego, though.

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12
                          https://www.facebook.com/monsterpetsbooks?ref=hl

Comment

• nightowlghoul
                            • Jul 21, 2007

You could try a small kit of water clear form Alimilite.
                            http://www.alumilite.com/ProdDetail....0Water%20Clear

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎