X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cosmicman
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 12, 2005

Starsky and Hutch: The Gran Torino

While a lot of you when it comes to classic shows are big fans of Planet of the Apes and other interesting programs of the era.
    Me? I am and always will be a diehard fan of Starsky and Hutch. I spent quite a change hunting down all four seasons of the show. Some think my obsession of the old show is a little weird but it was the television show of my day (growing up as a kid).

Later on as kid, I found the Starsky and Hutch Megos and that Gran Tornino that spun around and flashed the red lights under the Christmas tree. Woo- Hoo! (Now you can't get that thing on ebay less then two something if you are lucky.)
    For some reason there was a bunch of space GI Joe characters that were in the other boxes.

Recently, I found a junky race car plastic Gran Tornino in a toy of some sort in a bin at a Goodwill store and I took it apart and began cleaning it up. That SOB was covered in so much dirty and dust it took days to clean that thing.
    Finally after a few days, I could see the beautiful white plastic underneath it all.
    So, I primed it up after and bought some modeling paint and taped off the stripe to see if I could actually make it look like the Tornino.
    The model color is a red airbrush style. Trying to get as close to the original as possible. Is that possible? lol

Then a bit later after slowly removing the tape. I still have a lot of work left. I need to touch up the white stripe and paint the chrome bumpers along with the dime circular lights I will add later.

Right now I need to let it dry before I continue adding to it. With plenty of work left to do. Not sure what I am going to do inside. I may try to make custom seats because there is only one seat. I am guessing this thing was some kind of race car from the yellow cage thing I took out.
    The clear plastic windows I took out are so dirty you can't see through them.

The slow process of adding chrome takes a bit. Still in a between phase.

Thoughts what I could do to add to this or make it better?
    Last edited by Cosmicman; Apr 8, '11, 8:59 PM.
    More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...
  • livnxxxl
    Megoholic RocketScientist
    • Oct 23, 2007

I kind of remember those plastic cars that you are working on now.

I know exactly what you are saying about the S&H Torino. I have been looking to get one for a little while now. I have seen some come and go on the Bay.

The last one for $175.00 seemed like a pretty good deal. I would have already had one by now if I really desired it enough. I have just been being patient and waiting though.

Personally I could care less about the thing spinning around. The red lights would be cool although most I have seen no longer work.

Your custom looks to be taking shape. The thing is to make the doors operable that is if you really want to go custom with yours. And complete the interior to where it has two seats so that S&H can sit down inside.

The ultimate touch would be hooking up a red light with a toggle switch that you could turn on and off. All just food for thought.

I look forward to seeing the finished product when you get ready to do the unveiling. Thanks for sharing!
    Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• Cosmicman
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 12, 2005

Right. That will be a trick. Not sure how I am going to make the interior. I want it to come out as close as possible but we'll see.
      There's no way to make these doors open and close without wrecking the frame. The plastic is so old and took so long to clean, I was lucky to get a primer to stick along with the main airbrush paint.

I'll keep you posted. If anyone has an idea how to make the interior look OK. PM me, I could use all the advice I can get. I used to make car models as a kid and I have to refer to my one friend who still does this.

As for the original Gran Torino that came with the Megos back in the day. I was really ****ed off to think about it. They jipped us!
      I remember that car being way too small!!!!
      Last edited by Cosmicman; Apr 8, '11, 9:04 PM.
      More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• livnxxxl
        Megoholic RocketScientist
        • Oct 23, 2007

As far as making the doors open I was thinking more like doing a recasting of the original car you have there or in my case a real Mego S&H Tornino. Which is what I am planning on doing....some day whenever I can get one for a decent price.

Best of luck! Looking forward to seeing your updates.
        Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• HardyGirl
          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
          • Apr 3, 2007

That is one sweet looking ride. It's gonna be really cool once it's finished. I don't know if this would work, but it's just a passing thought. For the seats, how about gluing the Batmobile seats onto a small thin plank for the undercarriage?
          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

I too am a DIEHARD S&H fan. I custom made decals for my Mego Torino. But this is a beautiful custom. You did a really good job. The only thing I would look to add is possibly the siren and maybe paint the interior door panels black. Other than that you have an awesome custom. Curious... Can the Mego figures fit in there? That looks more to scale than the Mego Torino was.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
              MeGoing
              • May 14, 2003

That's looking great other Cat.

Comment

• ironman1188
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 11, 2007

Starsky & Hutch ROCK!!!!!
                Bugler, sound the advance.

Comment

• LAST SON OF KRYPTON
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 15, 2010

Man,that is one COOL ride!!!
                  I could see on the pics that Starsky & Hutch are very eager to take that one for a spin.
                  Can't wait to see your updates.
                  I'm here to fight for truth, and justice, and the American way.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎