• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

Amazing, really nice work.

Comment

• darklord1967
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 27, 2008

Here is a size comparison of the 9Art "Athletic Boy Hero" Dick Grayson / Robin The Boy Wonder with the 9Art "Heroic Adult Male" Bruce Wayne / The Batman:

Last edited by darklord1967; Apr 11, '17, 11:11 AM.
        I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

• darklord1967
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 27, 2008

Update: I had cause to completely re-fabricate and upgrade the utility belt for my custom Batman action figure. There were TWO issues that need to be re-addressed:

1) The first utility belt attempt (based off of a rigid piece of styrene strip) created a poor fit upon the figure based the resistance of the rigid strip wanting to straighten itself out. The original MEGO Batman and Robin, with their rigid plastic belts, suffered from the same ill-fit issue.

2) The second issue I had with my first utility belt attempt was an aesthetic one: To my eyes, the first belt simply did not have the “hefty” look I wanted it to have. I believe the reason for this was the lack of adequate size of the (Hasbro-based) belt buckle that I originally used.

As I mentioned before, I am of the belief that The Batman's utility belt (specifically his large belt buckle) simply does not get adequate attention when created for production and custom action figures. The utility belt (and the big buckle) is the all- important visual center balance on any Batman figure, as far as I am concerned. It is one of perhaps 3 major visual focal points on the figure, so it has to be right. The belt design and execution determines the mood and aura of the final Batman figure... It's level of professionalism, elegance, and presentation.

When re-visiting construction of The Batman's utility belt, I discovered a simulated leather textured yellow ribbon strip that would serve to make a much more convincing belt strap than the one I originally created. Being soft and flexible, it would wrap around the action figure's waist much more convincingly.

Since I determined that MEGO's approach to Batman utility belts tended to be a bit under-sized, I decided that a belt buckle in a slightly larger scale than 1/9 would appear more suitably prominent on my custom figure. I wanted a buckle that was slightly wider than the width of the belt strap, (unlike my first attempt where the buckle and strap had the same width measurement). I liked the classic traditional styling (and the size) of the Mego Magnetic Batman belt buckle, but I could not locate one for an affordable price on ebay.

There was another problem too: Original MEGO Magnetic Batman utility belts (even if I did manage to locate an inexpensive one) would likely still be unsuitable for my needs since MEGO's rubbery plastics tend to not accept paint very well. After a search through the MEGO customizing community, I was fortunate enough to have Paul "Doctor Mego" Clarke sell me a resin re-cast of the belt. Unfortunately, the buckle on this re-cast was a little bit warped and useless for my needs.

In the end, I used the resin casting as a reference to scratch-build my own razor sharp and straight buckle with styrene sheet and strip.

Last edited by darklord1967; Jun 11, '17, 12:32 AM.

Comment

• darklord1967
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 27, 2008

With my utility belt issues now resolved, I turned my attention to completing the final bat-boots for this custom figure.

As I established on my first MEGO customs way back in 1998, I prefer to create boots that are removable (like the original MEGO boots). However, I also require that the boots be flexible (unlike rigid MEGO plastic boots) in order to preserve the ankle articulation of the figure. I do this by selecting an existing boot sculpt that has a foot portion that I find appropriate for the character, and then I re-create the shin extension of the boot in fabric. I give the shin extension a laminated backing of very thin plastic sheet to give the boot its form.

I cannot over-stress that the fabrication of these boots is extremely meticulous, delicate, and time consuming. If any part of this job is rushed, the boots will just not turn out neat or professional looking.

Last edited by darklord1967; Apr 12, '17, 8:53 PM.

Comment

• darklord1967
              Persistent Member
              • Mar 27, 2008

By the time I stitched together a grey bodysuit for this figure, I had already given considerable thought, planning, and creation to the all-important chest emblem I planned to use.

The saga of the chest emblem is a fairly elaborate one:

You see, I always intended this Batman figure to represent the version of the character that I enjoyed the most... the classic "Bronze Age" (1960's - 1990's) comic book version of the Caped Crusader. As such, I always knew his chest emblem would be the yellow oval version.

The only problem was I did not really like the "official" DC Comics yellow oval Bat logo to be used as custom Batman's chest emblem. The shape of the bat silhouette never really appealed to me. To my eyes the silhouette never really resembled a BAT. And I never cared for the cutesy curved ears or the general weak profile of the bat wings.

Also, the yellow oval of the official DC Comics logo was just too oblong... even though admittedly, that was a pretty easily fixed thing in Photoshop.

I decided that a different design for the yellow oval chest emblem was in order. But it could NOT be so radically different that it was un-recognizable as the mark of The Batman.

I found the basis for a suitable chest emblem in the world of Tim Burton's Batman films... specifically the sequel Batman Returns.

Even though I WAS NOT AT ALL a fan of Tim Burton's Batman films, I nevertheless DID consider the re-design of the Batman costume chest emblem to be a vast improvement over the official DC Comics version. The Bat silhouette appeared more angular, and therefore more imposing to my eyes. With some minor adjustments, I came up with this design as the chest emblem for my figure.

Once I came up with a chest emblem design that I liked, my next step was to have Paul "Laser Mego" Wasson laser print the insignia as a vinyl "peel and stick" sticker, and that should have been the end of it, right?

Well... not exactly.

Unfortunately, it would not be that simple. See, there was something else that preoccupied me: I decided that
              I wanted the bat silhouette to exist in raised relief on the surface of the yellow oval... something that was just a bit more elaborate than a boring flat printing.

This was a design feature that was based on the yellow oval Bat chest emblem that I created for a full-sized Bat costume which I made 3 years ago for a student stage production.

In order to do something similar for this custom figure, I actually created two different files to print for the figure's chest emblem : The first files for the full insignia, and the second file was for for the bat silhouette. When these files were produced as vinyl peel and stick stickers, I would be able to place the bat silhouette sticker on the surface of the insignia sticker for the desired layered effect.

But in one final annoying complication, I realized that the printed yellow of the chest emblem oval did not quite match the yellow shade I painted the prominent utility belt in. To correct this, I re-adjusted the color of my emblem file in photoshop and re-printed it until the color matched perfectly. Then I placed the black bat vinyl sticker on the surface of the re-printed emblem.

Next, I temporarily dressed the figure. I placed the leathery bat-cape on the figure to check all colors and textures, and to make sure everything worked cohesively together.

I also wanted to ensure appropriate harmony between the removable cowl and the cape.

Clearly there are some details still pending on this custom figure (uniform flesh colored air brushing of face and body, lenses on the bat cowl, bat-gauntlets, final machine-sewn grey bodysuit, etc).

But for the most part, I am okay with where this figure is going.

Last edited by darklord1967; Jul 25, '17, 1:47 PM.

Comment

• sprytel
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 26, 2009

Those boots are awesome. I had never thought about the ankle articulation problems that plastic boots cause, but you make an excellent point.

Then again, I would never have the patience to work on a custom for 7 years, either. I admire the heck out of your level of commitment to making these perfect. Your Batman and Robin are insanely cool.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                  Persistent Member
                  • Apr 28, 2013

I love this! Beautiful work. I would love to get your base superhero body at retail.

Comment

• greensavage2000
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 9, 2013

Double WOW! Everything is looking so good. The amount of work and thought that went into this had to be considerable. And totally worth it. Your definitely an inspiration to get to customizing some myself. I look forward to seeing more. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• darklord1967
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by sprytel
                      Those boots are awesome. I had never thought about the ankle articulation problems that plastic boots cause, but you make an excellent point.

Then again, I would never have the patience to work on a custom for 7 years, either. I admire the heck out of your level of commitment to making these perfect. Your Batman and Robin are insanely cool.

Thanks for the nice words Sprytel! Actually, this is my second attempt at custom 1:9 scale action figures of Gotham City's Dynamic Duo. My first attempt made its debut here on the Mego Museum message board back in 1998, but they were strictly made with MEGO parts.

This second attempt at a custom Dark Knight addresses all of the limitations and shortcomings of my first attempt. When I began these new figures several years ago, there were still techniques that I was learning. There was also a number of years when I was forced OUT of the customizing hobby due to respiratory illness, and had to stop all work on all of the projects on my work bench.

But I must tell you, in many, many ways, these custom "Legends of Gotham City Collection" action figures that I am now completing have actually been in the works for about 42 years!

During the Christmas of 1975 when I was 8, i finally received a handful of Batman character MEGO action figures as gifts from my parents (after begging virtually EVERY adult I knew to please get me a MEGO Batman and Robin as gifts).

While i was thrilled to finally have these figures, I nevertheless kept finding myself frustrated by their posing limitations... their costuming accuracies... their sizing inaccuracies in relation to each other (Batman and Robin the same height???)... and so much else!

As an eight year old, I was already picturing in my mind what the ultimate 8 inch scale Bat-characters would look like. And I guess I was just too hard-headed to ever let go of my 8 year old boy's dream wish.
                      Last edited by darklord1967; Apr 2, '17, 1:24 AM.

Comment

• darklord1967
                        Persistent Member
                        • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by Starroid Raiders Dagon
                        I love this! Beautiful work. I would love to get your base superhero body at retail.

That is something I am working to make happen... if at all possible.

Comment

• darklord1967
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 27, 2008

I placed some test eye lenses on the bat cowl was was reasonably pleased with the test dress fitting of the costume and the overall look of the figure.

Last edited by darklord1967; Jul 25, '17, 7:23 PM.

Comment

• ScottA
                            Original Member
                            • Jun 25, 2001

I'm going to steal that Robin. Just so you know
                            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• darklord1967
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by ScottA

nooooo... (**said in a meek, quiet voice**). LOL!

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                                One eyed, wonder
                                • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by ScottA
                                Don't lie, you know you gonna steal that Batman too.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎