X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikeoz
    Mego Maker
    • Mar 9, 2007

Prince Thun from Flash Gordon Help

I'm continuing the Flash Gordon series that I've been working on the last couple of months. I want to build a Prince Thun (Lion man) figure and have already made and cast a head. I'm looking for suggestions to make his body. Should I go with a bodysuit (made out of material similar to Mego's bodysuits - only in tan)? I was even thinking about painting a body tan. What do you all think? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a picture of Thun and the head I have cast.

Looking for:
    Lincoln Phantom of the Opera
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

I would go with a fuzzy bodysuit. He is a lion after all. Makes attaching the tail a little easier as well. You could taper the suit arms at the cuffs and remove the hands when you dress the armature. Then replace the hands. That would get rid of the baggy sleeve look.

Head looks great.

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

I'd go with the bodysuit, it's what Mego would've done
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• JediJaida
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 14, 2008

Not too fuzzy; we want Thun the Lion Man, not the Cowardly Lion.

You might try microsuede or stretch microsuede. It would give you the texture you want, and fit close enough not to make him look like a stuffed animal.

If you want him to have lion feet, replace the feet he has and make the suit go down to the ankles.

Oh, and don't forget the fur shorts. We can't have him going about buck nekkid on this forum.
        JediJaida

Comment

• kept back
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 2, 2002

Bodysuit definitely. I would also hit up John Farley(Type3Toys) about a set of hands and feet that would look great on him.

Looking forward to seeing him completed. Your take on this line is really cool!
          Of all the souls I have encountered his was the most...human.

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by kept back
            Bodysuit definitely. I would also hit up John Farley(Type3Toys) about a set of hands and feet that would look great on him.

Looking forward to seeing him completed. Your take on this line is really cool!
            Yeah, John's werewolf hands and feet would be perfect for this
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
              Career Member
              • May 14, 2007

This is pretty good. I'm really liking the way you are doing these figures. Go with a body suit.

Bob

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Try polysuede.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Captain
                  Fighting the good fight!
                  • Jun 17, 2001

What about flocking the body? ...or would that look too fuzzy?
                  I forget who (sorry) but someone here was flocking AJ heads last year. They might be able to do a body??
                  "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I'd probably go with a light plush/veleveteen fabric. A painted body might look right 'cos of the joints. Especially 'cos he's supposed to be furry.

Don C.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

great job on the headsculpt, and I agree that a body suit of some sort of fuzzy material would work, just have to get it tight so it won't end up looking like Mego's Cowardly Lion.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Kryptonite Kid
                        Museum Gunslinger
                        • Oct 15, 2007

Great sculpt!
                        NO SIR, I DIDN'T SEE YOU PLAYING WITH YOUR DOLLS AGAIN.

My Blog MCKENZIE MCKUSTOMS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mckustoms/

Flickr: CUSTOM MEGO SHOWCASE

MY GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• Sandman9580
                          Career Member
                          • Feb 16, 2010

I'm really enjoying these Flash Gordon customs. I love the original Alex Raymond comic strip, and I wish BBP would've done those classic versions instead of the movie, so that I could have some too! 'Course, I could try to customize my own but it would take a looong time to get anywhere near your skill level!

Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see Thun.

EDIT: For a "furry effect," I wonder, has anyone ever tried to apply flocking to a Mego body, like the MOTU Mossman?

http://www.mattycollector.com/DRHM/s...ctID=178203800

Could be interesting.

MORE EDITS: Just re-read the thread and saw Captain's post. He beat me to the punch.
                          Last edited by Sandman9580; Feb 19, '10, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• mikeoz
                            Mego Maker
                            • Mar 9, 2007

^^^
                            Thanks for the encouragement! I've taken some time off doing customs lately because of a tear in one of my retinas. I'll be starting on them again, shortly, and Thun is in the works

BTW, flocking is a great idea. I hadn't actually thought about it until your post.
                            Looking for:
                            Lincoln Phantom of the Opera

Comment

• Sandman9580
                              Career Member
                              • Feb 16, 2010

Hey, saw this review of a Mickey Mouse Indiana Jones, and it made me think of your project. Check out the hat:

Mickey Mouse as Indiana Jones statue - Another Pop Culture Collectible Review by Michael Crawford, Captain Toy

It has a very light flocking that isn't so "fuzzy" as other kinds. And it makes it even easier to visualize because it's the right color!

Sorry to hear about your eye trouble. Hope you recover soon!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎