Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jessica
    fortune favors the bold
    • Nov 5, 2007

So last night I watched three very early Star Trek episodes while I sculpted. It was sooo fun....sculpting and watching Star Trek. Here's what I accomplished...the background gorilla (still needs more hair) and Prefect Barlow. I went to bed at 1AM. Wish I could remember what the heck I did with my camera's battery...everything is so hazy when you go to bed so late (had to borrow my dad's camera so I could upload)...

Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
    Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
    1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
    1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• critter2
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 2, 2005

I am so jealous of your talent! I can't wait to see all of these done.

Comment

• jessica
        fortune favors the bold
        • Nov 5, 2007

I took a hammer to my General Ursus, to re-do his hair. Luck again was on my side. I was able to whack off only that part of his head that I needed to re-do. I was going to sand it down with my metal file but it was taking too long. But even if I messed up his face, I would have happily re-done it. I have to remember when I build up his hair not to pile too much hair on it because of his helmet..and yet he needs to look ok without a helmet. Have to find the happy medium somewhere.

I also noticed one weird thing...I am right-handed so the left side of the sculpt always looks better than the right side, and I usually start on the left side of the head and work my way around. By the time I get to the right side of the sculpt, I am holding the head upside down. Do any sculptors out there do the same weird thing, I wonder? Kind of like a caterpillar nibbling on one end of the leaf and working on the edge to the other side.

Here is Barlow. I think once I fluff up his hair some more, he will look like what he is supposed to, most especially after he is painted.

Last edited by jessica; Jan 5, '09, 2:07 PM.

To do list:
        1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance

Comment

• jessica
          fortune favors the bold
          • Nov 5, 2007

Here is the re-haired General Ursus with the Hasbro helmet. I think the helmet is just a tad too short, and not really sure if the havelock would look ok once it's on a figure...

I was just thinking...perhaps I should just leave my Ursus unhelmeted for now and just build up his hair. I can always sculpt a helmet down the road.

And just for fun, here are 10 of my 11 sculpts. Some are done, some are still being tweaked. Starting from the left they are General Ursus, background gorilla, Julius (with a rolled up tissue for a temporary cigar), Dr. Maximus, Dr. Honorious, Virgil, Galen, Lucius, Milo and then Prefect Barlow.

I ordered two 1/6 scale Anakin dolls, which were delivered today. I will be sculpting the boy gorilla who yells, "Look! It's a man!" from the 1968 movie, and a young Cornelius on the other. I will also shrink those sculpts to Mego scale too.
          Last edited by jessica; Jan 7, '09, 12:53 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

What a great collection of sculpts, Jessica. Glad to hear you'll be making them available in a smaller size.

Are most of your customs 12"?
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• jessica
              fortune favors the bold
              • Nov 5, 2007

I live in both worlds. My heart is with any ape. I prefer sculpting in 1/6 scale, as I am able to incorporate more details.
              Last edited by jessica; Jan 7, '09, 8:02 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• jessica
                fortune favors the bold
                • Nov 5, 2007

Here is the finished sculpt of Dr. Milo!! Tadah!!!

Dr. Milo:

Last edited by jessica; Jan 8, '09, 1:20 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• jessica
                  fortune favors the bold
                  • Nov 5, 2007

Prefect Barlow. I think his hair could still use a little fluffing, though.

Last edited by jessica; Jan 8, '09, 1:27 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• jessica
                    fortune favors the bold
                    • Nov 5, 2007

(Julius)

(Dr. Maximus)--just needs the hair, but I am happy with his face and hair is no biggie for me.
                    Last edited by jessica; Jan 8, '09, 1:43 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                      MeGoing
                      • May 14, 2003

They look fantastic Jessica, I can't wait to see em painted.

Comment

• Mr Mego
                        Love to play with Megos
                        • Oct 19, 2003

Very interesting your job sculpt on those Ape heads looks GREAT!

I don't care what scale Apes with modern bodies you have, I like 12" and 8" custom Ape figures are the best!

Can't wait to see 'em painted.
                        Wanted to buy pair original shoes for vintage WOZ Wizard

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list in here.

Comment

• yokaijohn
                          Keep it coolin', baby
                          • Oct 1, 2008

WOW!! THEY ALL LOOK FANTASTIC!! I LOVE THE CIGAR(nice touch) on Jules!
                          Monsters and much more by YokaiJohn on Etsy

Comment

• jessica
                            fortune favors the bold
                            • Nov 5, 2007

Originally posted by yokaijohn
                            WOW!! THEY ALL LOOK FANTASTIC!! I LOVE THE CIGAR(nice touch) on Jules!
                            Thanks guys! The cigar is just a rolled up tissue for now.

Last night I used a dremel for the first time ever. It was GREAT! I sanded down Galen's hair and dremeled off my Lawgiver's nose and eyes so I could touch it up (found a great photo reference for the Lawgiver's face). I will need to take down Galen's hair again, as it got too fluffy when compared to photo references.

Forgot to add Virgil:

Last edited by jessica; Jan 8, '09, 5:49 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• vulcan2074
                              Live Long and Prosper
                              • Mar 23, 2008

Fantastic! I Love your Work
                              Sammy

Comment

• blastphemey
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jun 11, 2008

all lookin great as usual!