Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jessica
    fortune favors the bold
    • Nov 5, 2007

Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
    Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
    1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
    1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• will5967
      Member of the Assembly
      • Sep 27, 2009

Wow! Very good, very good, very good!
      Leader of the Hunt: I don't understand these animal psychologists. What is Dr. Zira trying to prove? Dr. Zaius: That man can be domesticated.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

SO, where would Taylor be in such a scene? Cool stuff Jessica.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• will5967
          Member of the Assembly
          • Sep 27, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
          SO, where would Taylor be in such a scene? Cool stuff Jessica.
          Excellent question! But everybody knows that Moses was actually in the prequel! Just kidding! Seriously though, maybe he might, just might... show up in the background as a rouge Shepard. In classic ape folklore and scripture, humans usually only get a front row seat if they're being abused.

Zaius - Have you forgotten your scripture, the thirteenth scroll? "And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree, and the children did make sport of him."
          Leader of the Hunt: I don't understand these animal psychologists. What is Dr. Zira trying to prove? Dr. Zaius: That man can be domesticated.

Comment

• jessica
            fortune favors the bold
            • Nov 5, 2007

Never thought to include a human!! But...perhaps Taylor could be one of the pack animals....LOL!!

Last edited by jessica; Dec 12, '11, 10:21 AM.

To do list:
            1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance

Comment

• will5967
              Member of the Assembly
              • Sep 27, 2009

Originally posted by jessica
              Never thought to include a human!! But...perhaps Taylor could be one of the pack animals....LOL!!

http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com...f-the-apes.jpg
              Moses leads his flock to the Planet of the Apes! We all know what happened next. And how few of his brethren were actually willing to come along. Heck, even the one and only blond that they could convince to come with them got fried on the way there. From what I understand, her cryo chamber cracked because she kept waking up, sitting up suddenly, banging her head on the glass and saying, "Are we there yet?"
              Last edited by will5967; Dec 12, '11, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

^^ OOOh, that would be a good twist to the scene having the animals be hu-mans.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• lambert58
                  • Dec 11, 2011

You re work is amazing. I'm new to the forum and eager to start my first sculpt. Could you tell me what clay you use. I'm assuming its air drying because of the heads underneath. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

• jessica
                    fortune favors the bold
                    • Nov 5, 2007

Thank you and welcome to the MM!!

For air-dry clay, I use Apoxie. You can use Milliput as well but I've never tried that. There's also some other 2-part air dry epoxies that cure faster but you have less time to work with it and the texture is really rough. Not sure if it comes in finer textures like Milliput.

Apoxie is a 2-part air dry clay medium that dries rock hard and is paintable and you can sand it. You mix as much as you are going to use, 1:1 ratio, let it cure for 45 minutes so it's the right consistency, and start sculpting. If you try to sculpt before it's cured too much, when it's freshly mixed, it will stick on your tools and hands--you will need to keep wetting your fingers/tools to prevent sticking. If you let it cure for 45 minutes you won't have this problem. You have a 3-hour window before it completely hardens/cures. If you use up 45 minutes of that, then you will have less than 3 hours.

I also use sculpey firm or super sculpey. Firm is great--it comes in grey and you can see every detail. Super Sculpey is very soft but you can alter its firmness by mixing some other types of sculpey with it...helps to add color to it...because the translucent color tricks your eye into thinking that it's smooth but it's really not. These you have to bake to cure. I have baked the vinyl heads underneath the sculpey and they have survived. But the good thing about Sculpey is you have weeks of working with it...curing as you need to. Good to work in layers too.

I have yet to try castillene wax and I have heard good things about it. There's tons of different sculpting mediums to try out. You just have to try everything to find out what's best for you. I guess the biggest hurdle is overcoming that first step. Each sculpt will always be better than your last one. The only bad thing is you can't talk to anyone in person or watch a movie without studying their facial features. Or even look at images without trying to figure out how to sculpt it. I'm sure other people do this as well. Nothing will ever look the same.

To do list:

Comment

• lambert58
                      • Dec 11, 2011

THANKS Jessica I will take your tips. Off to the store this weekend.

Comment

• TrentBizzle97
                        • Dec 5, 2011

Hi Jessica!
                        I tried to send a PM but it said your message box was full....

First off I love the work you've done with the pota figures and clothing. I really love the Cornelius and Zira from Escape. I also dig the Burke outfit that I saw on your site. I'm wanting to get more screen authentic style clothing for my Burke and Virdon/Verdon megos. Would you be able (and willing) to make some custom clothing for my figures? If so how much would you charge approximately?

Glad to meet (be it online) another pota fan.

Regards,
                        TB97

Comment

• jessica
                          fortune favors the bold
                          • Nov 5, 2007

Thanks Trent and welcome to the MM.

I am not sure if I have the right fabric...I would have to dig through my stash.

Closeup of baby:
                          Last edited by jessica; Jan 5, '12, 12:09 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• Chris
                            Persistent Member
                            • Dec 23, 2009

It just occured to me what I think you are saying "artistically ": Cornelius and Zira give birth to the Simian Messiah Ceasar. It falls in line w/Conquest.

That is fantastic....if I'm not reading into this too much.
                            Last edited by Chris; Jan 18, '12, 7:32 AM.
                            If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• will5967
                              Member of the Assembly
                              • Sep 27, 2009

Originally posted by Chris
                              It just occured to me what I think you are saying "artiscally": Cornelius and Zira give birth to the Simian Messiah Ceasar. It falls in line w/Conquest.

That is fantastic....if I'm not reading into this too much.
                              Maybe Jessica is just making really great customs with themes that have lasting resonance for her in her personal life and history. I find that things like that happen sometimes when I do artwork myself. Themes from other parts of my life get mixed together during the creative process that I may not be thinking about consciously at the time. During the process, elements may get worked into the overall design that I can later actually trace back to some other area of interest or childhood exposure to something that has had lasting meaning for me at some point in my life. Sometimes, others can see these things immediately, where as I may be too close to them to fully comprehend what I was doing by combining certain disparate elements to produce a particular piece of art. I really like your thought process though. Your idea on the matter is wonderful, intuitive and quite brilliant. At least you are not one of the folks who has made off the cuff comments (without really THINKING about it first) about her Ape Nativity scene being "sacrilegious!" Such a goofy idea! Of course, I do get where they're coming from because I too was... conditioned... exposed as a child, if that sounds better... to certain belief systems that are never supposed to be challenged or even shown in a clearly innocent alternate light. But it's just another Nativity scene. Or is it? I don't think, knowing Jessica, it's supposed to be a glaring political statement, but even if it were, I'd support her and stand beside her with it, tooth and nail. The truth is, Jessica's Ape Nativity scene is extremely artistic and clever and if it causes a few people to THINK beyond their normal boxed in parameters... well, then, I'd say that her work is more than a fitting tribute to the thought provoking nature of the entire Planet of the Apes saga. Anyway, great comments. So nice to see you come back to this thread to share such creative ideas. It's good to be among fellows.

Comment

• jessica
                                fortune favors the bold
                                • Nov 5, 2007

Currently helping to outfit a gorilla...just the hardware left to do. I won't add snaps though because I don't have the right tools.

So beautiful!! This one came out just so nicely!! He will have to age the brass himself. I couldn't find the exact hook...but it's close enough.

I purchased some air dry medium called Amazing Sculpt. I don't know...I should have just bought Apoxie. I'm afraid to use this one now because it says I have to use disposable gloves. How can you sculpt with disposable gloves?

I have to knit 3 pairs of socks, one each for my mom, my sister and my sister in law. It's good when what you make is wanted. Too bad they don't know that the yarn I use is expen$ive.

Going over to my mom's this Sunday...to watch a 49ers game. Maybe I'll knit...but I am also thinking of bringing my paints/paint brushes so I can finish repainting Captain Kirk for Ivanisky...so much to do...so little....
                                Last edited by jessica; Jan 21, '12, 4:35 AM.

To do list:

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎