X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jessica
    fortune favors the bold
    • Nov 5, 2007

Originally posted by Chris
    What!?! What kind of trickery is this? I still have to get a body, head and box.
    I'm on a roll. I'm just going to make the buttons and sew them down and I can mail them out tomorrow.

I seriously need cash so I can feed my expensive makeup habits.
    Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
    Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
    1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
    1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• weswood
      • Jun 5, 2011

Awesome work.

But I'm beginning to think we need to schedule an intervention

Comment

• Chris
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by jessica
        I seriously need cash so I can feed my expensive makeup habits.
        No worries. I'm going to try and knock out every project that needs clothes while you are in need of cash. Most will be Apes related...I think.
        If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• jessica
          fortune favors the bold
          • Nov 5, 2007

Originally posted by Chris
          No worries. I'm going to try and knock out every project that needs clothes while you are in need of cash. Most will be Apes related...I think.
          That would be most awesome Chris. The leather of Caesar's outfit will probably be expensive. Plus, it's leather, so I can't make a mistake, or I better get it right the first time. Kinda scary!!

My General Ursus helmet is sizing too small. I'm going to have to remove the middle portion to fluff up the helmet some more, and then resculpt it back.
          Yay I found my camera!

Last edited by jessica; Jun 18, '11, 6:40 PM.

To do list:
          1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance

Comment

• jessica
            fortune favors the bold
            • Nov 5, 2007

Omg way awesome! It was a suggestion from apemania to overlay my sculpt and actual photo to see where it needs to be tweaked in Photoshop. Of course lacking this ability I turned to resident Photoshop guru (devil_666) from a different forum for help. Really surprised at the results. If my schedule is willing I will reshoot my sculpt to be in the same position as the APemania photos of the original helmet so that I can get a Photoshop comparison and get my sculpt as accurate as I can make it.

Last edited by jessica; Jun 20, '11, 2:41 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• starsky
              veteran member
              • Aug 26, 2007

wow, looks really awesome!!

Comment

• jessica
                fortune favors the bold
                • Nov 5, 2007

When the exacto knife just isn't cutting it, time to bring out the big guns. Kids don't try this at home!

To do list:

Comment

• Chris
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 23, 2009

That is so cool! You might just end up with an exact replica.

What do you think of a 1:6 ape-o-naut outfit for Zira? Are you up for it?

We can ditch the leather Ceasar idea. It sounds too hard.
                  If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Cmonster
                    Banned
                    • Feb 6, 2010

Looks fantastic, Jess!

This is the greatest thread ever!

SC
                    Last edited by Cmonster; Jun 22, '11, 9:52 AM.

Comment

• jessica
                      fortune favors the bold
                      • Nov 5, 2007

I am always working on multiple projects at any one time. It's a real surprise to me when I do finish a project. Pry bars were a bit overkill. The mold separated nicely without too much effort, and the mold looks nice and clean too.

Back side of human face cast that I will need to beef up with more ultracal. Pathetic pencil thin grab bar needs a bigger replacement, which is what that shelving item is for. Once that's done I will work on Cornelius' facial appliance.

I forgot to mention that Ashton wants me to make him a Blue Angels boilersuit. The last time we went to the aeronautics museum, they had one for sale...but at $69. I said I will sew him one. On the same day, we went to the fabric store and I was able to purchase enough fabric to suit him up properly (provided I cut the fabric right the first time) for $10.00.

Drying out the mold for four hours or so...Tomorrow, time willing, I will dry the other half of the mold...I need to prepare the male human face so I can start up Cornelius while I dry/season Zira molds Take II.

Scratch that idea. We are expecting rain in Ape City, tomorrow, so there is no way I could plug my convection oven in the backyard. Guess I am forced to work indoors and may as well finish up Riddler jackets or do some pattern studies of mens jackets so I can cut out the fabric and sew these up.
                      Last edited by jessica; Jun 28, '11, 2:17 AM.

To do list:

Comment

• Chris
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 23, 2009

You are going to attempt a Corneilus too? That could be very interesting. Did you make a copy of the gorilla you did? Halloween is just around the corner (I start planning early).

Comment

• jessica
                          fortune favors the bold
                          • Nov 5, 2007

Yes...the Apemania Cornelius I hear is smallish, and one of my ape friends will come to Wondercon with me. He would really prefer to be a chimp. I would like put on his makeup, as it will be the first time he will go under the goo. I am still trying to figure out how this can happen, as it takes me 3 hours to get ready. We'll have to make sure he's not allergic to anything I will use months before Wondercon.

I can run another Urko.

FUDGE!!!!! 8( Trying to make another suit, with a different type of pattern, based on an outfit I was given. Sleeves are too short so I have to re-do, and it's so tough sewing with silk. Very slippery. 8(

I am seriously reconsidering my choice of fabric. Sounds like a trip to Goodwill....

Oh crap. Down to the wire. Two days to get this foam run perfect, enough time to wash out and dry the foam. I will bake today. Tomorrow is the last possible time I can bake. Luck, be a lady with me.

Found the fabric online at JoAnn's, so I will try to swing by there Tuesday. The silk fabric I tried for the suit is not only slippery, but the way it's woven makes it stretch one way. No matter how carefully I sew, the panels come out crooked. I'm so done with it.

*sigh* Still battling that horrible green suit. Almost done with the pants to find out that I have to take the belt and loops off because the fit was too tight. Was going to just start from scratch but the fit of this particular pair of pants if I got the measurements right were so nicely done. Too bad I went gung ho and really overadjusted.

Too many things to do, so little time. I want to season the molds but I probably won't be able to bake until Sunday to see how well Zira's appliance came out. Cornelius is ready for the mold, and then he's got to dry out and season.

Frickin' suit! I'm so done with working on it but I must chug on...

Not perfect foam latex but I have two weeks to get it right...

Oh snap! Two possible days to get my foam run perfect, so they can be washed and air dried. Luck, be a lady with me.
                          Last edited by jessica; Jul 18, '11, 1:55 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• jessica
                            fortune favors the bold
                            • Nov 5, 2007

crap! i got some foam latex on my favorite army jacket.

74% humidity, 68 degrees fahrenheit. Come on, luck be a lady with me...

Me in my ghetto setup trying to make foam latex for Comicon. If you can't do the third world squat, you're SOL in my outdoor studio...Oh snap---I got foam on my pants too. Grrr...Usually I'm way neater than this. I won't know until 11 PM tonight if the foam pull will be good or not. Oh well--at least I am halfway there. I may have to frankenstein together something. Hoping not to--the makeup is difficult enough as it is already.

Last edited by jessica; Jul 18, '11, 10:43 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• babycyclops
                              Career Member
                              • Jul 9, 2010

Smooth rolling Jessica! Best of luck with ALL your projects.
                              Your creative work is always inspirational!

Comment

• jessica
                                fortune favors the bold
                                • Nov 5, 2007

Hip hip hooray! 40-gun salute in Ape City. So beautiful, this foam run. It was worth messing up my favorite army jacket. Going to wash up the foam latex now with some mild detergent and squeeze out the water softly. Hopefully this will be thoroughly dry by tomorrow so I can paint her up soon...like tomorrow!! I really like how this sculpt turned out...but again, I won't know how it will look until I really glue it down, since I am not using a positive of my own face.

Rebuilding chimp boots since I lost my first set. Tomorrow I will sew up the boot shaft with zippers and finalize it with a rubber soled bottom. These will be more comfortable than my square-toed short stacked heels that I love to wear, since I will be tromping all day on Saturday on my feet. I won't stress if I can't complete these boots. It would be great to have them but the makeup is more important at this point.

OMG I survived SDCC! Getting there was tough as hell...left at 10:30, arrived by 10:00 with three stops along the way. Returning was not that bad but LA traffic sucks! The whole city is surrounded by a gridlock! Grrrrrr!! Left at 10:00 am and got home by 7:00 pm. So tired...I have some Conspiracy cards if anybody is interested--just send me an e-mail with your address. My PMs get full because I am lazy to throw out the old PMs...my e-mail address is j e s s i c a r o t i c h (at) g m a i l (dot) c o m.

Forgot to take photos, too...it was busy there but surprisingly not as crowded as Wondercon 2011. I don't know if it was because of the size of the venue--that people can spread out and not choke up the aisles with humanity. Only once or twice did I feel like I was swimming upstream, unlike Wondercon which was a struggle all day. I did freak a lot of people out with my makeup. It was the best application I have done so far, and I've been trying since 2008! What made everything perfect was the last Zira sculpt I made is awesome, even though it was not sculpted on a positive of my face. It just fit so very well. I amaze myself sometimes.

The human couldn't take a clear shot of me and John from New York. I have never met him before and this was an unplanned meeting but a very pleasant surprise. Creepy thing was he knew I lived in Ape City.

Chandra and Drew. He wrote the Conspiracy novel along with some other people...and one of Chandra's paintings appear in the Conspiracy novel. I'm actually standing, not sitting in the photo.

Someday if I ever manage to do it, I want to resew my outfit and put real leather. What's great about my outfit now is that after a convention, I just dump it in the wash and hang. Good as new, except I have to touch up the hieroglyph with glue where it wants to peel off. I actually lost the half moon this way, and I keep telling myself I'm going to rig one with neodymium magnets so I can pluck it off before I wash, but as usual I am super busy and before you know it, a convention is upon me and then that's the least of my worries.

I love this photo!!

Zira Kissing Dr. Zaius by sdoorly, on Flickr
                                Last edited by jessica; Jul 27, '11, 3:39 PM.

To do list:

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎