Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jessica
    fortune favors the bold
    • Nov 5, 2007

Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
    Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
    1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
    1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Chris
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 23, 2009

There's the rip! I see it now.

Damn, that dirty ape looks life like. Apemania needs to snag you up.
      If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• jessica
        fortune favors the bold
        • Nov 5, 2007

Crap. Futzing with the fitting of the facial appliance on my face. I hope I look good tomorrow. I'm not satisfied with the fit, but I'll have to live with that fact. I just wish I could get a lifemold done of my face, so I can do this the right way.

At least something's going right! Alex has painted Burke and he looks spectacular. I knew Alex would make a fantastic Burke. So happy!

Last edited by jessica; Apr 1, '11, 11:38 PM.

To do list:
        1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance

Comment

• Chris
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 23, 2009

Daggnabbit! I thought some people in San Fran did a lifecast for you. Matt could probably give you some tips so that you don't sufficate.

Burke looks great! Do you know if Alex was able to sell enough for it to be worth it to him? If he hasn't up front I think he will in the long run.

Take lots of pix from the convention if you can.
          If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Matthew Sotis
            • Mar 17, 2011

Yeah, definitely. We had one enthusiastic makeup friend with a deviated septum who got himself under the alginate too quickly. It didn't take long to realize he was having difficulty breathing so we popped open a little slit between his lips and slid a little straw in there. He was grateful. A couple of times when i had it done to me i found they slapped on the alginate so fast it was getting up my nostrils so i would pop a couple of short pieces of straw in my nose in advance for comfort.

Comment

• Cmonster
              Banned
              • Feb 6, 2010

Jess,

Rubber mask grease paint is predominantly used for blending appliances onto the face and doing touch up work. You really should not paint the entire appliance with it. Use either PAX or a bestine/naptha based, rubber cement paint. If you're partial to stippling with a sponge or using a brush, then go with the PAX. Simply add pros aide to standard acrylic paint and keep your mixture based on the range of movement you want the appliances to have. The more movement you want, the more pros aide you should use.

Personally, I've always painted my appliances and anything else that's made of foam rubber (creature suits, puppets, mech heads, etc...) with the rubber cement base paint because I like to airbrush as opposed to stippling. Tint rubber cement with universal tints to achieve your desired color, then thin it to your liking with either bestine or naptha. I use naptha and thin it down pretty well, as I like to use many layers to build up the desired translucency.

Hope this helps.

SC

Comment

• jessica
                fortune favors the bold
                • Nov 5, 2007

Sandy that's cool to know. I will try to stick to pax.

Chris--my lifemold did not take when I tried with Dan and Tom. Either the materials were too old or I'm a vampire and lifemolds just don't work for me. So...I'm still researching to find out someone who could make one for me. My friend Mitchell (my favorite Klingon) has a makeup artist friend (local, meaning San Jose), that he's going to give me the contact information for...and I will start from scratch once I get the lifemold done.
                Last edited by jessica; Apr 3, '11, 11:58 AM.

To do list:

Comment

• Matthew Sotis
                  • Mar 17, 2011

Pax is the way to go. Use up to 50% prosaide for full flexibility. Add cabosil to thicken, matting agent to reduce glare. Remove with detachol. You can get all that stuff here:

http://www.alconeco.com

Comment

• Chris
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by jessica
                    Sandy that's cool to know. I will try to stick to pax.

Chris--my lifemold did not take when I tried with Dan and Tom. Either the materials were too old or I'm a vampire and lifemolds just don't work for me. So...I'm still researching to find out someone who could make one for me. My friend Mitchell (my favorite Klingon) has a makeup artist friend (local, meaning San Jose), that he's going to give me the contact information for...and I will start from scratch once I get the lifemold done.
                    I wonder if Bill Blake from the old POTA Marvel mag could assist you? I'll check for his phone number and PM you with it. I don't know if he's still on the West Coast.

Comment

• Matthew Sotis
                      • Mar 17, 2011

my lifemold did not take when I tried with Dan and Tom. Either the materials were too old or I'm a vampire and lifemolds just don't work for me.
                      I don't get it. Mix a pound of alginate to a paste by adding water slowly, have someone quickly get it on your face (while leaving nostrils clear), reinforce with plaster bandage, wait 10 minutes, and wriggle it off your face. I've never seen it not work. Define "did not take".

Comment

• jessica
                        fortune favors the bold
                        • Nov 5, 2007

I don't know guys, but I need someone to help me make a lifemold--like YESTERDAY!

I wasn't around when Tom poured the positive, so I have no clue. He said it "didn't work out" and we'd have a re-do, which depending on what lane of highway you are travelling, it can still happen or will not happen. But I'm not sticking around to find out. Life does not hold still for me so I will keep treading!

To do list:

Comment

• Chris
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by jessica
                          I wasn't around when Tom poured the positive, so I have no clue. He said it "didn't work out" and we'd have a re-do!
                          That's the move he uses with all the ladies.

Comment

• jessica
                            fortune favors the bold
                            • Nov 5, 2007

Now isn't this the nicest match for the Hot Toys gorilla plum fabric? My heart skipped a beat when I was at Good Will today, rummaging through their mens shirts. I did not have the Hot Toys gorilla pants with me at the time, so I relied on my bad memory for remembering colors....and it's a damned fine match. 40-gun salute at Ape City. This is a hard fabric to match...trust me. There's nothing at JoAnne's unless you want to play with dyeing your own fabric.

Forgot to say that the fabric with the garter on top is the actual Hot Toys gorilla pants.
                            Last edited by jessica; Apr 5, '11, 11:31 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• Chris
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 23, 2009

That looks dead-on.

Comment

• jessica
                                fortune favors the bold
                                • Nov 5, 2007

An appropriate goodbye photo of my beloved Cornelius. When he leaves Ape City he will be sporting an ape's new suit and better feet.

To do list:

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎