Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sixxvanrose
    • Dec 31, 2010

Originally posted by jessica
    This thought just came to me today. I am going to make this helmet in 1:1 scale! Apemania's got one but I want to make my own.

http://images.wikia.com/planetofthea...59/Ursus_1.JPG
    Depending on price, I would be into buying one of these. And yes, I also agree, I didn't like the Ursus that Apemania has for sale.

Keeping my eye on this project
    Looking to Buy: Planet Of The Apes

Lunchboxes, Megos, Toys, You have it, I buy it!

Comment

• jessica
      fortune favors the bold
      • Nov 5, 2007

Time to prep for Wondercon! Must remember to sculpt some new teeth...good news is I found everything I need for my outfit.

Regarding that General Urko hat...I'm still thinking about the best way to go about it...I think I will wrap up a layer of foam around this guy's head first and then build up from there, since I want to make sure it will have enough room to fit a gorilla's head/hair in there:

Startup of hairline. It's Tuesday...Four days until I get my ape on. I am thinking of using something else for hairing up my hands.
      Last edited by jessica; Mar 29, '11, 6:23 PM.
      Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
      Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
      1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
      1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Chris
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 23, 2009

The makeup on the prothestic looks amazing!
        If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• HardyGirl
          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
          • Apr 3, 2007

Hey Jess,

I thought you only got one use out of the prosthetics you used when we went to the ape movies in San Jose. I didn't think you needed to make new ones yet.
          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• babycyclops
            Career Member
            • Jul 9, 2010

I love this photo. You are one organised ape lady!

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by Chris
              The makeup on the prothestic looks amazing!
              For sure, great job Jess
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• jessica
                fortune favors the bold
                • Nov 5, 2007

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                Hey Jess,

I thought you only got one use out of the prosthetics you used when we went to the ape movies in San Jose. I didn't think you needed to make new ones yet.
                I was too lazy to save them. I don't remember what time I removed them, but it was way after 12:30 AM and I was way too tired. Being able to make my own foam latex lets me splurge and have fun at the same time. Apemania is pricey and my ape costuming is just hurtful to my wallet--so the only way to go around that was make my own stuff.
                Last edited by jessica; Mar 30, '11, 6:34 PM.

To do list:
                1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance

Comment

• Chris
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by jessica
                  I was too lazy to save them. I don't remember what time I removed them, but it was way after 12:30 AM and I was way too tired. Being able to make my own foam latex lets me splurge and have fun at the same time. Apemania is pricey and my ape costuming is just hurtful to my wallet--so the only way to go around that was make my own stuff.
                  From the pix it looked like the apemania prothestic had air bubbles. It's wild to see you master this. How much do you figure it costs to make your own? This might be too personal so don't feel the need to answer. I'm just being curious and slightly nosey.
                  If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• jessica
                    fortune favors the bold
                    • Nov 5, 2007

Chris, not counting my time, I have spent $320.57 to get to my third baking of the prosthetic. That cost is only for the materials and equipment. I didn't count the cost of the rubber mask grease or the other whatnot you need cause I already had that, so that's probably another $500. I have spent as much on three Apemania appliances.

My prosthetic also has bubbles:

To do list:

Comment

• Chris
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 23, 2009

When it comes to chimp prothestics I'd say that the pupil has become the master. Your air bubbles are unnoticable.

Making prothestics is one expensive past time.

Comment

• jessica
                        fortune favors the bold
                        • Nov 5, 2007

Pricey endeavor, I know...but it's like an obsession with me and a safe form of recreation...as long as I am careful with fumes, the chemicals and my dedicated oven. For me there's really nothing as satisfying as making it myself. Plus I love playing with makeup, so it's a given that I must at least look decent in ape makeup.

To do list:

Comment

• Chris
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 23, 2009

Will the makeup on the prothestic smudge if you touch it?

Comment

• jessica
                            fortune favors the bold
                            • Nov 5, 2007

Originally posted by Chris
                            Will the makeup on the prothestic smudge if you touch it?
                            If it does it's minimal. Rubber mask grease may leave traces on your hands but the makeup stays on the prosthetic quite well. It would take a lot of smooshing for it to smudge.

To do list:

Comment

• jessica
                              fortune favors the bold
                              • Nov 5, 2007

You know...now that you've mentioned it, curiosity got the best of me. I am always so careful with my makeup after it's been applied that I never really knew the answer. I guess when the rubber mask grease is freshly applied, it will rub off of the mask and onto your skin, but now that it's had a chance to work itself into the pores, it's pretty much stuck in there. See how the Q-tip still remains white...a bit frazzled from being shoved in the foam latex, but still clean looking. Wish I had some carbosil to clean up the lip area where I accidentally cut it with scissors. It's not really that noticeable but it bothers me. Oh well, hoping that the whole mask itself will just be so awesome that it won't be noticed.

Last edited by jessica; Apr 1, '11, 1:32 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• Chris
                                Persistent Member
                                • Dec 23, 2009

Very cool. I didn't see any smudges or residue. Thx for answering my question. I've wondered that for years.

I couldn't see the cut in the lip.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎