Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard J. Fowlks
    repeat offender
    • Feb 10, 2010

Wow. the detail and sculpting are unbelievable. Top notch!

Comment

• Chris
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 23, 2009

That's much better! Who knew there was a good looking chimp sculpt hidden in there?
      If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• cdhall
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 14, 2004

Jessica, you are a master. Incredible.

When I get my office at Paramount Pictures (cough-never!) you have a job!
        —-
        “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Message, Spock?”
        - Admiral Kirk

"...surely, the best of times."
        - Captain Spock
        https://youtu.be/tOtKcJtahKQ

Comment

• jessica
          fortune favors the bold
          • Nov 5, 2007

Resculpted his head as the first sculpt was too large and cartoony. Sculpted over his hands with Apoxie so he can wear fingerless gloves. Found a perfect stuffed animal with the most perfect hair, but Ethan has claimed it back...went to the thrift shop and found a stuffed lion with hair that may work...not as perfect as Ethan's horse, but I'm going to see how Link will look with real hair vs. sculpted hair. If he looks horrible, then I'll go and sculpt it in. Besides the stuffed lion was only $2 although I felt really bad slicing into him to scalpt it. I may even hair up an orangutan or two. I'll have to see how Link looks first.

Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
          Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
          1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
          1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• babycyclops
            Career Member
            • Jul 9, 2010

Caesar looks awesome Jessica! But I'm a little confused, is that plain lookin' version what you started with, and have completely re-worked?
            Another question.. who painted him? His face and hands look really terrific.
            The horned alien looks great too! That sculpt has real life, as does your Ceasar sculpt. He really looks like... who he is!

Comment

• jessica
              fortune favors the bold
              • Nov 5, 2007

Originally posted by babycyclops
              Caesar looks awesome Jessica! But I'm a little confused, is that plain lookin' version what you started with, and have completely re-worked?
              Another question.. who painted him? His face and hands look really terrific.
              The horned alien looks great too! That sculpt has real life, as does your Ceasar sculpt. He really looks like... who he is!
              Caesar was the plain version, a little pin-headed and beady-eyed, so I chopped off the top of his head and added on Apoxie on top to round it out. I also added some wrinkles on his forehead but that was too extreme after it was painted up (I couldn't tell), but this was obvious in the photographs. He was painted by one of the great painters on the Sideshow Freaks board, Charles Hughey. He will need to go back to get a touch-up on his forehead, but I did make a a mold and cast of him which came out really well!

Oh...I just remembered that when you glue hair onto a figure's head, it needs to be recessed, so I will go in with a dremel and dig out Link's hairline before I glue down his hair.

To do list:
              1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance

Comment

• babycyclops
                Career Member
                • Jul 9, 2010

I thought his hands and face looked airbrushed, thanks for clarifying! His head cast looks nice and clean too. Again, that is brilliant work!

Comment

• jessica
                  fortune favors the bold
                  • Nov 5, 2007

I still have to adjust his hairstyle, but it's getting there! Bummer I can't work on him now.

Let us warn our friends that they endanger their own careers by defending this animal.
                  Last edited by jessica; Oct 24, '10, 3:45 AM.

To do list:

Comment

• jessica
                    fortune favors the bold
                    • Nov 5, 2007

Update on Link! I don't think I can sell him. He's too cool and I love to pose him. I wish I had sculpted his face more youthfully but whatever. I'll take it.
                    Last edited by jessica; Oct 25, '10, 2:51 AM.

To do list:

Comment

• tothebat-tricycle!
                      Museum Patron
                      • Nov 18, 2007

After literally scanning through all 61 pages of this thread, I can safely say you are one of the most amazing sculpters I have ever seen on these forums, fantastic job! Do you use air-dry clay? And do you make molds of all you're sculptures?

Comment

• jessica
                        fortune favors the bold
                        • Nov 5, 2007

I do not make molds of all my sculptures. Just some.

Currently hustling to finish Ashton's mask, so that I can sew up Ethan's costume. Going to forage for some food now, but I have cleaned up the edges of the fabric mask of this ninja turtle. The teeth were removed and a gauzy fabric was glued in place to provide air flow. The black is fringe material sewn on to outline the teeth. Sigh. I am so tired of this ninja turtle. I know Ashton will be excited and happy to wear it. Next time I make a mask, I'll be sure to rig it so that I avoid any seams on the mold itself.
                        Last edited by jessica; Oct 28, '10, 4:34 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

That mask is gonna make a certain boy VERY HAPPY
                          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• jessica
                            fortune favors the bold
                            • Nov 5, 2007

Here are some Halloween photos from Friday's parade at school. I was really afraid that the latex would not have dried thoroughly by then even if I had blow-dried the heck out of it the day before, so I turned the mask inside out overnight. This made a weird ding on the left eye, which was a last-minute problem that we just had to live with. I have since fixed that by forcing it back into shape with a clothespin for a few hours. At least Ashton said that the mask did not smell anymore inside. I was really shocked at how sweaty his hair got--guess cause latex does not breathe like foam latex does. If only I had an oven large enough, I would have made it out of foam latex.

Look how little Ashton is! Even if he is now 6 years old he can still wear size 4 toddler clothes.

This is my favorite photo, because you can see what mask Ashton could have ended with if I didn't put any effort into his costume. At least I learned how to make a slush latex mask. I'll have to see what kind of masks the kids will want to wear for next Halloween so I can plan for it!

This is Ethan wearing the Finn's outfit from Adventure Time, which I sewed for him the night before. I was really stressed out even if it was only a simple outfit.

Action shot. I hate digital camera lag.
                            Last edited by jessica; Nov 1, '10, 12:00 AM.

To do list:

Comment

• jessica
                              fortune favors the bold
                              • Nov 5, 2007

I shrank down my Sideshow Zira to Mego scale. Not happy with the paint application. I want it to be super smooth, just like my Sideshow. It's been so long since I have played with Mego scale that I can't remember what I did with her outfit. I'll probably just make another one. I can't wait to see the head on a Mego body. The Cornelius that I tried to shrink did not turn out well, so I'll have to try and shrink him down at some point down the road. I actually forgot all about it, and when I finally found him, some weird chemical reaction had taken place and liquified his face.
                              Last edited by jessica; Nov 4, '10, 1:58 AM.

To do list:

Comment

• renegade
                                Veteran Member
                                • Mar 16, 2010

How are you shrinking? Acetone? Hydrospan?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎