X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fossilfuse
    Museum Super Collector
    • Oct 27, 2008

more

And to add to that, my two daughters love watching me make Mego items. They know all the characters names, they love helping me, and always want to know if the guy I am making is good or bad. Family time!!!

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

OOOOHH! Your foam latex project looks good! I bet it'll kick butt like all you're other projects. Is there anything you can't do? Do you know how much I secretly HATE you? (just kidding ) Seriously, Jess, (in Freddie Prinze speak) LOOKING GOOOOOD!
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• lepage
        The Ape General
        • Aug 12, 2001

Originally posted by jessica
        Well...I've just decided to grow thicker skin. And whatever. I will do what makes me happy!!! It's not like I'm on drugs or anything like that.

I have decided to create my own foam latex appliance. I wish I had a positive of my face, but I don't, so I'm making do with Apemania's female plastic face that comes with their Zira foam latex. I've covered it with three sheets of foil, and I'm sculpting over that. 1:1 scale is definitely MUCH easier than Mego scale. I've got other sculpting projects, but this one is one of my obsessions and I've got to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak. Still tweaking the lower muzzle, but she's almost there. I have never worked on creating foam latex, so this is my first time. I'm learning the ropes and every part of this construction will be, "I'll cross that bridge when I get there." It didn't take that long to get to this stage.

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/5051/dsc04084e.jpg
        Did your other one wear out? If so, how many uses did you get out it?

Dave

Comment

• jessica
          fortune favors the bold
          • Nov 5, 2007

Dave I did wear the other one out. I wore it five times exactly. The foam latex started to dent in and not pop back out like it did when it was still fresh, and it got harder to blend in the edges as time wore on. If I had glued it onto a four way stretch spandex hood, it would still be kicking solidly...

I bought a new Zira foam appliance from Apemania, but I can't keep affording to splurge on their stuff even though it's topnotch. I may as well try to make my own, you know?

Here is the sculpt before baking. I decided to remove the feathered edges, and I will resculpt that once I am able to get a positive of the plastic face:

Here it is after it's cooled off. Remember, it's just hard clay now. I still have to make the mold so that I can fluff it up with foam latex and then bake that.
          Last edited by jessica; Jun 16, '10, 12:36 AM.
          Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
          Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
          1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
          1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• YANOULI
            Part-Time Timelord
            • Jan 9, 2006

Wow, fantastic sculpt Jess.
            " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "

Comment

• jessica
              fortune favors the bold
              • Nov 5, 2007

Darn and double drat. I will have to resculpt Zira's face in some type of clay and not cure it. No way to make a hard mold with all of the undercuts. Live and learn. Can't wait to get my damned dirty paws on some Ultracal30 so that I can start this sculpting all over again.

To do list:
              1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance

Comment

• lepage
                The Ape General
                • Aug 12, 2001

I think it's neat that your learning to make them yourself. Expensive hobby though is'nt it!?

Are you able salvage the old one enough to be able to make a hooded mask out of it?

Dave

Comment

• jessica
                  fortune favors the bold
                  • Nov 5, 2007

Originally posted by lepage
                  I think it's neat that your learning to make them yourself. Expensive hobby though is'nt it!?

Are you able salvage the old one enough to be able to make a hooded mask out of it?

Dave
                  No, but I could follow through and buy a pair of hazel glass eyes and make a 1:1 scale bust, perfect to hold my wig. Har har.

Expensive, yes, but rewarding. I just spent $75 for Ultracal30 and a quart of hot foam latex kit. Another $20 for Kleen Klay. $50 was the cost of my oven. Still under the price of Apemania's raw foam latex appliance.
                  Last edited by jessica; Jun 21, '10, 3:46 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                    MeGoing
                    • May 14, 2003

That is freakin' awesome Jessica you go girl! Good to see you around, I was only thinking last night that we hadn't seen you for a bit...

Comment

• jessica
                      fortune favors the bold
                      • Nov 5, 2007

This weekend I'm going to try to create an Ultracal30 positive that I could sculpt on. I've been slowly buying supplies. My total so far, including the oven is now at $209. I still need to buy a Sunbeam Mixmaster to whip up the foam latex, some metal spatulas, and some burlap.
                      Last edited by jessica; Jul 2, '10, 2:51 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• Mindwarp1966
                        • Jan 17, 2009

jess im with all of them your stuff is well thought out. have you ever carved into warm floor tile to make a stamp for a printing press?. we did this in junior high school. i wish i knew the tech name of this art but well. anyhoo its great for reverse molds and works well for me.

Comment

• jessica
                          fortune favors the bold
                          • Nov 5, 2007

Hey David! I know what you're talking about! I've never done it before but I've seen it done. I had forgotten about that technique.

I just finished trying to make a positive of a vacu-formed female face with Klean Klay and Ultracal. It was way messier than I expected. I can't wait to see how it looks. Here is how it started, by chopping off the parts that I didn't need, since I want to make sure that the mold will fit into my oven:

I then built a dam of clay to hold the Ultracal:

Note to self--buy gloves that fit!

To do list:

Comment

• Meule
                            Verbose Member
                            • Nov 14, 2004

Can't wait to see how this turns out, Jess
                            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• jessica
                              fortune favors the bold
                              • Nov 5, 2007

I should be working on costumes, but I'm obsessing again. I have 12 hats to make/fix, and 6 airplane wings to add color to, and I should be done with costumes that need to be made in 2 days for dress rehearsal. I'll try to finish all those items tomorrow.

I even forgot to eat lunch because I didn't want to stop sculpting.

To do list:

Comment

• YANOULI
                                Part-Time Timelord
                                • Jan 9, 2006

very nice.
                                " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢