Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jessica
    fortune favors the bold
    • Nov 5, 2007

My poor Dr. Zaius...always half naked. Anyway, it's time to suit you up nicely.

Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
    Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
    1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
    1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

Wow, sweet job on the hieroglyphics
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

Super job, Jess!
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• apes3978
          Permanent Member
          • Nov 19, 2005

Good color match on the orange fabric... Cool heiroglyphics too...

Originally posted by jessica
          My poor Dr. Zaius...always half naked. Anyway, it's time to suit you up nicely.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6966/dsc03903f.jpg

Comment

• jessica
            fortune favors the bold
            • Nov 5, 2007

Wow I am getting evil negative energy vibes left and right! First off, I heard from my sister that my dad says, "he's not impressed by my apes." Secondly, my husband is expecting me to be winding up my doll work. It's time to move on he says. I need to get rid of my stuff, he says. OUCH!! I don't see why they need to supress my creative energy. I hate that. I suppose I could shut down everything and call it quits. But why? Then I'd be unhappy. Sometimes it gets tiring trying to grow a thick skin. *sigh* I hate nonbelievers and dream killers.

To do list:
            1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by jessica
              Wow I am getting evil negative energy vibes left and right! First off, I heard from my sister that my dad says, "he's not impressed by my apes." Secondly, my husband is expecting me to be winding up my doll work. It's time to move on he says. I need to get rid of my stuff, he says. OUCH!! I don't see why they need to supress my creative energy. I hate that. I suppose I could shut down everything and call it quits. But why? Then I'd be unhappy. Sometimes it gets tiring trying to grow a thick skin. *sigh* I hate nonbelievers and dream killers.
              Selective hearing
              Don't listen to stuff you don't wanna hear.

I urge you to keep customizing, your work is too cool to stop, don't let your talents go to waste. You've got my full support
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Edgaar
                Museum Patron
                • Dec 7, 2007

Jes - I understand where you are coming from - I hosted my Sister in laws wedding reception at my house - the photographer happen to go to my basement and took these pics. - Kev Kramer Dot Blog Hands down the greatest basement ever..

I've been putting up with the negative comments for years - hang in there an keep doing whatever makes you happy!
                Edgaar
                Delaware (no really... Delaware)

* Not sure where I'm going - but I'm pretty sure where I've been....
                * not mego - but my customs - http://www.toymania.com/custom/Galle...ar/edgaar1.htm

sigpic

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

Don't listen to any of that. Your family is supposed to be the MOST supportive, not the least. And you'd do well to remind them of that fact. (gently, of course) Hang in there, hun. I believe in ya!
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• actjac01
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 17, 2009

...wow...um...wow....

Hello Jessica,

Okay, first off, let me just say... your work... all of your work... is, by far... the most talented, professional-quality work, I have ever seen. SERIOUSLY.

And I gotta say, this has been one of the most enjoyable posts I have ever read (I just got done reading the whole thing.
                    Couldn't put it down.)

Thank you, so much, for sharing all of this with us. Not only all of the work you put into these sculps in the last... how long has it been... these last few years, but then you delegently photographed all of that progress, both the stuff you were proud of, as well of the stuff you weren't so proud of. Amazing. Truly.

Your work is both inspiring, and overwhelming, all at the same time.
                    Yeah..., you are THAT GOOD.

Now, I don't know your family. Heck, I don't really know you, except through this work you've shared with us, and you certainly don't know me ('though I am a registered member, if that helps)... but I think what your family might really be trying to tell you is, maybe to back off on this. You got alittle too involved, maybe? Just playing alittle 'devil's advocate' here.

Do I agree with them? Nope, not at all.

I don't think they're trying to dampen your creativity. I think they are trying to be objective about all of this. Just something else to consider... maybe try to see it from their side. I think they truly mean well.

Okay, enough of that garbage.

As I said before, I don't agree with them. Then again, it sounds like you love Planet of the Apes about as much as I love Star Trek...probably more, so I may not be as objective as most.

But, the passion is there, and it comes through your work. Even from the failed sculpts that you had the guts to share with us, inspite of any ridicule, the passion is still there, and it seems like it's just desperate to get out, and it finally found a way.

In my humble opinion, what distinguishes an artist from everyone else is, not only how much of their passion they pour into their work, but how much of that passion comes across in that work. And I gotta tell ya, it hit me right between the eyes!

That reason alone is why I think you must continue doing this.

But what do I know? I just some 40-something guy collecting & restoring 'Megos' from my youth... and loving it.

Any regrets?
                    Nope.
                    "...You can capture the Klingon & bring him back to the Enterprise!"

Comment

• actjac01
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 17, 2009

Oh, and Edgaar?
                      Your basement is totally AWESOME!
                      How much do you charge for tours?

Comment

• actjac01
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 17, 2009

And I gotta say, this has been one of the most enjoyable posts I have ever read

What I meant was, "...this has been one of the most enjoyable THREADS I have ever read..."

and it was, too.

Comment

• lepage
                          The Ape General
                          • Aug 12, 2001

I can understand the lack of support from the spouse thing. I have pretty much been in the same boat for years. It's sad when you cannot share your passion with your spouse.I dont discuss anything toy related with my wife anymore.
                          Life is too short, Do what makes you happy!

Comment

• jessica
                            fortune favors the bold
                            • Nov 5, 2007

Well...I've just decided to grow thicker skin. And whatever. I will do what makes me happy!!! It's not like I'm on drugs or anything like that.

I have decided to create my own foam latex appliance. I wish I had a positive of my face, but I don't, so I'm making do with Apemania's female plastic face that comes with their Zira foam latex. I've covered it with three sheets of foil, and I'm sculpting over that. 1:1 scale is definitely MUCH easier than Mego scale. I've got other sculpting projects, but this one is one of my obsessions and I've got to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak. Still tweaking the lower muzzle, but she's almost there. I have never worked on creating foam latex, so this is my first time. I'm learning the ropes and every part of this construction will be, "I'll cross that bridge when I get there." It didn't take that long to get to this stage.

Last edited by jessica; Jun 15, '10, 2:03 AM.

To do list:

Comment

• Meule
                              Verbose Member
                              • Nov 14, 2004

Well said Jess, happy to hear it.
                              Doesn't feel it weird sculpting yourself, well kinda

Comment

• fossilfuse
                                Museum Super Collector
                                • Oct 27, 2008

Just a quick note on this thread. I haven't been a member here too long, but whenever I have been looking for custom tips on anything, you have had a response and a solution. Your custom work is superb, really the best. Secondly, I have been fighting the collecting bug with my family and friends for over 30 years. They all laugh. But when I have my stuff on the wall, it always amazes regardless if it's my custom or store bought. I also don't discuss any of my custom stuff with anyone, including my wife, because they don't get it. But it makes me happy and that is all that matters. I compare it to someone working in their flower garden, and then people understand (sort of). My Mom was at my house last weekend and she was showing me some sewing tricks, making an outfit for Rhino. They all rolled their eyes and laughed, but when they saw my wall of Megos, they thought it was pretty cool. So the bottome line is, if it makes you happy, keep doing it. There is nothing wrong with having a little harmless fun.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎