• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KingKickass1983
    Career Member
    • Jan 19, 2019

Trying to build an armored vehicle...

Any recommendations on materials?

I basically want to add armor to an existing vehicle... was looking at PVC sheets, but the ones I've been coming across are too thick..

Any customizers here have experience?
    Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

So you are looking for thinner sheets of plastic? Not sure how thick you are wanting the armor. I have taken this cardboard usually from cracker boxes and cut that into the shapes I need. Then roll sculpey with a rolling pin so it just covers the card stock on both sides then trim and bake just til it firms up. Then assemble and use fresh sculpey welds to hold the pieces together and bake again.

Comment

• greensavage2000
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 9, 2013

They sell thin sheets of styrene for hobbyists and such. Check hobby stores, Amazon and Walmart. I've never really used it but it might work.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 29, 2018

Not really knowing what you are going for it’s harder to offer advice. But yes you can make or buy sheets of plastic or for funky shapes use internal packing trays.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
          Career Member
          • Jan 19, 2019

I have a motorcycle that has sculpted on designs. I plan of sanding the designs off so that it's a smooth surface.
          Than I'd like to cover up the rougher sanded surface with a thin sheet of plastic for a smoother look and finish when I paint it.
          Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• Megotastrophe
            Permanent Member
            • Jun 29, 2018

Hmmm. I have heard of using thin plastic and a hair dryer gun on super high so that the plastic melts and conforms to the surface. And I have used the oven shrinky dink type plastic with a quarter sheet and bake it about two thirds so it’s melty and soft then lay it on top of the surface want so it conforms and hardens to that. Them take it off and trim as needed

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎