X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Timothy2251
    Jerks beef with Ten Bears
    • Mar 15, 2008

Enamel on resin heads?

I'd recently received a Black Manta head and backpack from Black Kryptonite, and was considering using DupliColor Chrome Enamel spray paint on them to get that Alex Ross style shine. I've already applied a sandable acrylic primer to both pieces to make sure the paint sticks.

Is this a good idea, or should I stick with using the Testors Acrylic paints I've been using for my customs? Any info, pros and cons, or input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."
  • Action Martin
    Apeonaut
    • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by Timothy2251
    I'd recently received a Black Manta head and backpack from Black Kryptonite
    Same here. I have someone else painting them for me because I know that I would ruin them. I'm not looking forward to hot gluing the tank on the back of the figure though.
    Scott

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Testors enamel and the spray stuff are pretty much the same. I've used enamel on resin heads with no problems; but every so often one doesn't dry. RTV resin has a shelf-life of about a year, and when it startes getting old the hardener starts turning muddy. I THINK once it starts getting old the plastic starts weeping.... often a little bit; but enough that it'll react with enamel paint and cause it not to dry.

When in doubt, test a bit on a apart of the head that isn't gonna be seen when done; like the bottom of a neck stem.

Don C.

Comment

• Timothy2251
        • Mar 15, 2008

Thanks for the feedback, folks - much appreciated. I'll probably end up doing some testing before I touch the Black Kryptonite parts. I'm also concerned about the heat around here affecting the paint (I have to spraypaint/airbrush outside - darn condo!), so chances are likely I may have to go the acrylic route after all.

Thanks again everyone! :D
        "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• misterdroid
          Banned
          • Jan 10, 2008

Testor's enamel sprays are quite thick, and often drip or produce a tacky finish if you are not an expert with a spray can. I would use something like a flat black from rustoleum or Krylon. For a nice even coat, spray from about 12 inches away in light even coats... soaking your paint can in hot water for 15/20 minutes helps atomize the paint to a finer degree.
          Use long sweeping strokes. Don't worry about missed spots as it will build up to full coverage.
          Shake the can every 30 seconds or so to prevent drips.
          Let each coat dry before you spray again!
          When you get the object fully covered in paint, use the same technique with a clear gloss topcoat spray. Most places that sell craft stuff sell a clear gloss sealer.
          It will look a lot better. Gloss paints are thicker and runnier than flat. I find it best to split the process.
          It's really easy to wreck something using the wrong paint.
          And as a last aside... if there is anywhere near you that sells graffiti quality paint, BUY IT! Montana brand ( I only use Spanish Montana spray paints) has a super good flat black that will lay down a smoother coat than ANYTHING you can buy in a big box store.

Comment

• Mr Havoc
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 27, 2008

I used a model paint and it came out just fine.

Comment

• Timothy2251
              • Mar 15, 2008

Thanks folks! Really appreciate the info - I'll try to give it a whirl once the heat wave here in NJ breaks.

Comment

• Mr Havoc
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 27, 2008

Here is mine and I used Testors paint[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• Timothy2251
                  • Mar 15, 2008

Yeah, that's the pic that got me fired up to paint my own (it also answers another question - what color to make the backpack).

I might just break down and use the Testors paints I've been using - brushing the paint on, instead of trying out the Chrome enamel I got at the local Pep Boys. With the Testors, I can paint in my nice Air Conditioned condo. If I use the enamel, I might get heatstroke from going outside.

I also have to hit up Mr. Brian Leitner and order me a black wetsuit. Thanks again, Havoc!

Comment

• Mr Havoc
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 27, 2008

I used the little bottles and a brush and it turned out great. I dont know about spraying. I am going to redue the eyes I think because the card has him with the yellow eyes.

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

>Testor's enamel sprays are quite thick,

Even the jar paints are really thick; BUT they're durable, and you can use 'em on stuff without a lot of small detail. (Like Black Manta's backpack.)

>I have never used enamel and had it dry.

I know a lot of folks who say this; and I suspect it's got something to do with the type of resin the originals are made of. I've been using EasyFlow 60 for years, and have had few problems. (Which I suspect had to do with the age of the resin.) That's why I suggest a small test.

>I would highly recomend using acryl paint then a matte or gloss sealer

Acrylics provide much thinner coats, and are a LOT better overall than Testors. (Make sure you prime first.) I usually use a gloss sealer AND a mat one over that. Gloss provides better protection.

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎